Good AFFORDABLE table saw

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
We are going to enclose the back porch for the cats. I am looking at table saws. I don't wanna buy a POS, but I don't need the best out there either. Any suggestions?

Depends on what you want to do with it. I have an older grizzly I got off Craigslist and it works great for what I use it for. There are nicer ones out there... Also, do you want one that stands on its own, and is always up and in the way (I run the blade down and put a piece of plywood over it and use it as a work surface), a table top model (smaller, maybe plastic, light duty), or a more portable one that folds down and rolls away much like a hand truck?

Craftsman saws are normally not too bad either... and you can almost always order parts for them (unless you get one that is ready for the museum).

If you want to cut a lot of full sheets of plywood or particle board, go with a bigger one that is belt driven. If you are using it more for smaller trim etc... go with something smaller and more portable.

One with legs is fine. I know some fold up. That may effect the price.

I have a Rigid one, very happy with it. It is not exactly compact but it does cut very well.

I had a rigid one this morning. Plan to have another tonight.

craigslist is your best bang for the buck. i got a 10" bench top table saw for free. the guy said it was broken. took it home and got to looking at it. the armature bearing was seized in the motor. took it out and went down to the local bearing shop. cost me $3 for a new bearing and she works great.

I have a delta I think that it was around $100.00 new a few years back.
Good saw for the do-it-yourself type projects.

See if you can find an older Delta Contractor's Saw with the flared legs. Should be able to pick one up for about $250.

I've got a Delta like this one
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DELTA-10-TA...833?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c354aa1d9
Heavy enough that it stays put for cutting sheets. A lot of times it is just not convenient though and I end up using a circular saw and a guide board if I need a really straight cut. For most carpantry work I think a compound miter saw is far more useful. 10" w' slider will do a lot of different cuts.

On a table saw, it's all about the rip fence.

Get one that has a smooth sliding, easy to operate fence that clamps down straight and true without too much fiddling.

The push bar/angle guide shou;d be tight and true as well.

I have this Ryobi and it is awesome. For $200, it performs 95% of what the $450 DeWalt does.

The one caveat is that the handle for the fence is slightly larger than the fence, meaning the workpiece can interfere.
Minor but makes you go DOH a lot.

Attachments

• ryobi ts.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 345
I do agree that if you are cutting a lot of 4x8 sheets this may not be the saw for you, but then what is?

I do use mine for 4x8s occacsionally, but it's really a 2 person job and not 100% precise on the first cut, depending on what that cut is.

Have a nice older Craftsman now with table extensions. Had a Dewalt portable with stand before the house fire and loved It!!!!!! Not to expensive and worked well.....

We are going to enclose the back porch for the cats. I am looking at table saws. I don't wanna buy a POS, but I don't need the best out there either. Any suggestions?

Find an old craftsman from the 50s on craigs and will be the last one you ever buy

We have one that my grandfathers father bought brand new in 50 or 51 and been passed down and used all the time and never given us problems

Oops was meant to get you to This Old House.com they test products for homeowners and have a lot of info on home repair. Great site with lot's of good info.

I'm a little spoiled at work with our Powermatic, but we also have a Rigid portable that is pretty good.

I've seen the same Ryobi I posted at pawn shops for $100.

Fence, fence, fence.

Operate the fence on some of them and you'll see what I mean.

BTW, our cats used to be inside cats with a fairly large (13x30) screen porch.

We had breakouts about every other month. We also had some peeing on the carpet issues.

We released them into the yard by installing a "tubby cat" door in the screen door (we already had one from the house to the porch). Now they are inside/outside free roaming and both problems went away. For the most part (95%) they stay in the yard, but the first week some had to learn not to go in yards with dogs.

Our screens are 70"x70"ish and are quite the nightmare and somewhat pricey to replace that often,

I am not sure I am going with screen. I think I am going to install a large window in each of the three sides. But you hit the nail on the head with why I want it. To cut 4X8 plywood.

Find an old craftsman from the 50s on craigs and will be the last one you ever buy

We have one that my grandfathers father bought brand new in 50 or 51 and been passed down and used all the time and never given us problems

I agree with this 100%. My bandsaw is a Crescent from 1899 made by the Crescent tool company, and maintains a 17ft blade with no guards. Never had an issue in 10 years I've had it. I have a 1950s Delta saw as well, and the table saw I have from Craftsman made in the 50s has lasted forever. The only thing wrong with it now is the knobs for blade angle and height broke off so I have to use vise grips to rotate them. I only really use large shop saws so I couldn't recommend something newer and smaller because I hate saws that want to move or feel flimsy.

Is it something you can have Lowes/HD cut at the store?

They have those trammel (?) saws that make light work on 4x8 sheets.

You usyally get 2 or 3 "free" cuts, and then they're like $1 each.

Just be sure your measurements are correct and double check the employee's measurements.

I saw one guy ruin a whole sheet because he didn't listen.
I even wrote it down so he could read it (and for proof), and I have heard some piss poor tape measure calculation arguments between employees.

I'll also second the guide bar and circular saw method.

I made my own with kindorf/unistrut and C clamps, but there's a farirly new one on the market that looks pretty nice.

Something I know about.
The Makita 10' portable table saw is still the best portable out there

I shouldda updated this. I got one. I found a very nice one at Home Depot.

I have this one: Bosch Table Saw

I love it. It folds up, has wheels for easy moving, and really cuts nicely. Ive built some cabinets with it and it worked very well.

My philosophy is this. When it comes to tools, don't skimp out. You never really save anything in the long run.

-
Back