Good article on basic stroker theory

-

moper

Reaction score
I figured I'd post this as a new thread, with the discussions of "stroker build or not" coming out. http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2003/09/stroker/index2.shtml

I know, I know..It's a Ford site..But the info is very good. Interestingly, the Ford 302/5.0L block is not know to be of great material, and can be split in two down the cam bore by making more than 600 hp in a factory block. Mopar blocks are known to be of better material. I say this because the rod ratio has been brought out as a premature wear item in the other post. The 347" ford stroker engine has the same rod ratio (ok, 1.58 for Ford w/5.4" rod and 3.4"stroke, vs 1.53 for a 416 w/6.123 rod and 4"stroke)and has proven very reliable over the years. In factory blocks. Some with super/turbo chargers or NOS systems. Another interesting read is this..I'll post the link to the full article. It's by Stahl headers.. http://www.stahlheaders.com/Lit_Rod Length.htm
"II. Short Rod

A. Intake Stroke -- Short rod spends less time near TDC and will suck harder on the cyl head from 10-o ATDC to 90-o ATDC the early part of the stroke, but will not suck as hard from 90-o to BDC as a long rod. Will require a better cyl head than long rod to produce same peak HP. Short rod may work better for a IR or Tuned runner system that would probably have more inertia cyl filling than a short runner system as piston passes BDC. Will require stronger wrist pins, piston pin bosses, and connecting rods than a long rod.

B. Compression Stroke -- Piston moves slower from BDC to 90-o BTDC; faster from 90-o BTDC to TDC than long rod. Thus, with same ign timing short rod will create less cyl compression for any given crank angle from 90-o BTDC to 90-o ATDC except at TDC. As piston comes down, it will have moved further; thus, from a "time" standpoint, the short rod may be less prone to detonation and may permit higher comp ratios. Short rod spends more time at the bottom which may reduce intake charge being pumped back out intake tract as valve closes--ie. may permit longer intake lobe and/or later intake closing than a long rod.

C. Power Stroke -- Short rod exerts more force to the crank pin at any crank angle that counts ie.--20-o ATDC to 70-o ATDC. Also side loads cyl walls more than long rod. Will probably be more critical of piston design and cyl wall rigidity.

D. Exhaust Stroke -- Stroke starts anywhere from 80-o to 110-o BBDC in race engines due to exhaust valve opening. Permits earlier exhaust opening due to cyl pressure/force being delivered to crank pin sooner with short rod. Requires a better exhaust port as it will not pump like a long rod. Short rod has less pumping loss ABDC up to 90-o BTDC and has more pumping loss from 90-o BTDC as it approaches TDC, and may cause more reversion.

Another spot in regard to side loading/losses...
"Empirical experience; however, indicates that the mechanical stress is less with the longer rod length. There are two reasons for these results. Probably the primary reason for these results is that the profile of the instantaneous velocity of the piston changes with rod length. The longer rod allows the piston to come to a stop at the top of the bore and accelerate away much more slowly than a short rod engine. This slower motion translates into a lower instantaneous velocity and hence lower stresses on the piston. Another strong effect on mechanical stress levels is the angle of the connecting rod with the bore centerline during the engine cycle. The smaller the centerline angle, the less the side loading on the cylinder wall. The longer rod will have less centerline angle for the same crank angle than the shorter rod and therefore has lower side loadings.

Interesting note tho..This article adds that any rod ratio below 1.60 " is a design flaw..." lol. Both these examples fall into that catagory, where a typical 340 has a ratio of 1.85...
Be warned tho, the Stahl article was a bit heady, and not designed to prove or disprove, just to show the effects of both long and short on power in respect to exh port flow in competition engines (read as 600rpm by his definition). I suggest a read for anyone who's thinking about stroking a Mopar of any size.

Moper,
This is what I said without getting into detail on "another opinion question" thread pg. 3 last reply. This is also why I say that the 360 will make as much power as the stroker counterparts, the rod ratio for the 360 is 1.71. Also why I said that the heads would have to change also, thus the longer strokes require bigger runners and valves with shorter rods due to the suction difference. The suction may be harder sooner but is less later where the longer rod has a more efficent pull through out the cycle. Which is why the long rod engine needs less port volume than the short rod engine as this artical explains.
This is also why the long rod engine will make similar torque as the short rod engine with a longer stroke, due to the position of the crank when the cylinder fires. The short rod engines crank pin will be closer to TDC than that of the long rod engine, so the long rod engines crank pin will be moving away from TDC when the cylinder fires. Thus when the engine fires, that the force that is put to the crank pin in the long rod engine will have more pressure on it than that of the short rod engine due to the position of the piston in the cylinder, sitting higher in the power cycle or combustion process than that of the short rod engine.
Good artical! This will help alot of people understand the basic differences that the 2 different engine combos have.
My point exactly, is why spend the money unless you just have to have a stroker engine, when the parts that you buy can make the difference. Rod ratios, bore to stroke ratios, and head configurations are very important and MUST BE MATCHED or the results won't be there regardless of who builds the engines.
With less stress on the rods and cranks and keeping the rpms down to 6200-6400 rpms good factory parts are very hard to beat. As I said before, the engineers get paid to do this, so use what they give you and make it better. As they have the toys at there disposial and we dont. A lot of the knowledge thats out there today was done 10-15 years ago that is being used today as new ideas and sales piches.
Sorry for being so winded, but this artical says what I've been saying in laymans terms.

BJR Racing

That is a great article. And I appreciate the agrument that BJR makes, but I have a hard time believing the statement 'the 360 will make as much power as the stroker counterparts'. My intuition says the extra 48 or 56 cubic inches will make up for the difference in the rod/stroke ratio. But what do I know?

Anyway, you guys may find this engine table interesting. It shows the bore, stroke, rod length, rod/stoke ratio and bore/stroke ratio of many different engines. Unfortunately it is not complete, but the few engines I am familiar with seem to be accurate.

Also, by looking at that table it is interesting to see how a Mopar 360 compares to a Chevy 350. Not only does the Mopar have 10 more cubes due to the extra .1" stroke, but the rod/stroke ratio is better. :thumblef:

They will make as much power and torque with less stress in the engine with the right parts, cams, intakes, heads, pistons. The difference between the two engines is the amount of stress and friction thats created. The way that I see it is the less stress and friction that a engine and parts have the faster the engine will be.
I've seen a guy that I built a engine for that was a 468 chevy that runs 5.27 in the 1/8 and after 2 seasons he went to a 555ci engine and runs only .08 faster, the difference between the 2 engines is the 468 used std. production iron heads and steel shim gaskets, and the 555 engine uses a stroker crank and aluminum heads with a big roller cam. Seems to me he spent alot of money for .08, something like $40,000.00 more. I would have expected alot more than .08 for $40,000.00 and 87 more CIs.
But like you said (quote) but what do I know.

BJR Racing

BJR Racing said:
I've seen a guy that I built a engine for that was a 468 chevy that runs 5.27 in the 1/8 and after 2 seasons he went to a 555ci engine and runs only .08 faster, the difference between the 2 engines is the 468 used std. production iron heads and steel shim gaskets, and the 555 engine uses a stroker crank and aluminum heads with a big roller cam. Seems to me he spent alot of money for .08, something like $40,000.00 more. I would have expected alot more than .08 for $40,000.00 and 87 more CIs.
But like you said (quote) but what do I know.

BJR Racing

Yeah, that'd irritate me too...lol. However I would question the position that purely friction and/or pumping losses are responsible for that. Assuming the engine is well done, that's enough of a change where the entire powertrain needs a reset to make use of the new bullet.

Both engines were In a 1800lbs dragster, the point that I make is the fact that the smaller engine is makeing only 50 less HP for the difference in CIs and the money spent. So just because you put a lot of money in parts doesn't mean that your going to run any faster. The new engine that the man bought was a professionally built engine with all the best parts that money could buy. I won't say who the man bought the engine from, as a professional courtsey stand point.
My point being that you don't have to spend alot of money to run fast, you just have to have the right parts. Somehow 50 hp doesn't equate to the $$$$$ difference.
The parts that I used were all factory parts LS7, the cam and kit, intake and carb were the only things changed on the engine that I built from what the man had to start with.

BJR Racing

Well the key to making the power is in the combustion chamber, with my limited knowledge on cars I still know that the root of the power comes from the explosion in the combustion chamber and how much fuel/air gets in there. If the piston gets forced down an extra amount due to the longer stroke that really has no bearing on how much power that explosion creates, so one could argue that a longer stroke doesnt really have too many benfits other then increased torque but with a sacrifice in RPMs. But like I said im no engine expert or engineer.. it just seems to make sense to me when thinking about it.

-
Back