Good quality filler neck grommet

Fuel and Air Systems

1. kiss

kiss Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    12:02 PM
    I have to replace the gas tank in my 71 Dart. I purchased a Spectra tank for 72+ due to the superior vent design. My question is which filler neck grommet should I get? I've read many threads saying how some grommets are very hard to install.

I know the sand/polish the filler neck nice and smooth and use lots of silicone grease but I want to be sure I'm buying a good quality grommet. Thanks guys!

2. dodge71demon

dodge71demon Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:02 PM
    seeing as this is a rubber molded item with very little demand there may be several companies selling this but probably one maybe two that actually make it

3. kiss

kiss Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    My thoughts exactly. I see Summit and Classic Industries both offer one part #MF296. Not good reviews on Summit
    https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-mf296/overview/year/1973/make/dodge/model/dart
    Classic Industries | Restoration Parts | Mopar Parts | Camaro Parts | Firebird Parts | Nova Parts | Impala Parts | GM Truck Parts | Tri-Five Chevy Parts

I found another one on Mancini with a different part number, but then again, that could just be Mancini using their own part number instead of the manufacturer's
    Mancini Racing Filler Neck Grommet

There's a few different popular ones on ebay with no part number listed. Here's one where the guy claims it fits correctly
    1967 - 1976 A Body MOPAR FUEL Grommet Gas Tank Seal CORRECT FIT New | eBay

Has anyone had good luck installing a new grommet? If so where did you get it from?

4. phaelax

phaelax Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    3:02 PM
    I wish I could remember where I got mine.... both of them. First one I bought was very hard to get installed and it split in half a month later. Nothing like filling your tank up and suddenly hear gas dumping all over the ground. Second one I bought from another place, it looked slightly different and fit better. Haven't had a problem with it since. If I can find out which brand it was I'll let you know. I may have bought it on ebay.

5. kiss

kiss Well-Known Member

Local Time:
    This is what I'm afraid of. That's why I'm trying to find out which reproduction ones are actually worthy.
    The only other one I could find with a separate part number than the ones I already listed
    Filler Neck Seals | AMD 891-1570-1

1. This site uses cookies to help personalize content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.