memike

Super Moderator
Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Any advice on witch fuel pump to use on my 66 /6 170
I think my advance auto parts pump has only 3.000 miles on it
and I don't want to buy another one..

What is the go to fuel pump for these great /6 engines ?
Thank you for your time on keeping me looking
in the right direction :) I do not want to change it out again for a while.

Every part store will have a Airtech brand in stock. None stock a Carter/OEM.
I think NAPA said they could special order the Carter.
Best buy I found for the Carter was RockAuto
Hope this helps

Every part store will have a Airtech brand in stock. None stock a Carter/OEM.
I think NAPA said they could special order the Carter.
Best buy I found for the Carter was RockAuto
Hope this helps
Yes it does and thank youi Redfish, I just want a good strong one that should last well over 30.000 miles, I am not sure what brand advance auto parts sold me.. it did not last long at all..

You mean Airtex? Those USED to be good pumps

You mean Airtex? Those USED to be good pumps

I put a new one from advance auto parts back when lightning hit
Victoria, You know that was not long ago. I went to advance auto on a Sunday... I could have just got one made on friday :D

I would go with the Carter over the Airtex. I sold Airtex back in the 70's and they were top of the line. From what I've read lately they are at the bottom of the quality list. tmm

I had the same issue with my kids truck. I finally bought a carter electric pump and had no issues. Stay away from Delphi.

I would go with the Carter over the Airtex. I sold Airtex back in the 70's and they were top of the line. From what I've read lately they are at the bottom of the quality list. tmm

Thank you Mike :cheers: Carter it will be I believe, but I can guaranty I will not
take the time to put one on like the one I have.. It mest up a one day a
year event at George Rays Drag strip, Car show and 1/8 racing..
Well life goes on, hopefully there will be next year :banghead:..

There ya' go Mike . You're on the right track. tmm

I had the same issue with my kids truck. I finally bought a carter electric pump and had no issues. Stay away from Delphi.

I will be staying mechanical. Thank you, electric ones spook me some..
But I am and old fart die hard I guess :)

Pep boys here in Tampa has a Carter for a 340. That is what I am running, however, I don't know if they carry one for the slant (225) not sure of interchange, ect. Sorry to be vague. I do know my friend w/ a 340 got a few of the ones from advance, and they were all junk. Seems since they merged (from Discount) things fell apart.

I just called, NAPA and airtex is what they carry for fuel pumps.
Heck, I am in no need to drive anywhere any way, so I am shopping on line for one I can depend on.. I would go electric but that's just more wires and need voltage.

Here's a carter pump from summit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CRT-M60577/

I also just looked on Amazon and there 3 different brands. Airtex, Carter and Spectre.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder/slide-show/1966/Dodge/Dart/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Make=Dodge%7C40&Model=Dart%7C300&Year=1966%7C1966&brand=&carId=006&newCar=1&partsNode=15728141&vehicleType=automotive"]http://www.amazon.com/gp/part-finder/slide-show/1966/Dodge/Dart/ref=au_pf_pfg_s?ie=UTF8&Make=Dodge%7C40&Model=Dart%7C300&Year=1966%7C1966&brand=&carId=006&newCar=1&partsNode=15728141&vehicleType=automotive[/ame]

I just called, NAPA and airtex is what they carry for fuel pumps.
Heck, I am in no need to drive anywhere any way, so I am shopping on line for one I can depend on.. I would go electric but that's just more wires and need voltage.

Put you a Holley blue on that thing..... And for voltage change over to a 100 amp alt. Gonna need that fuel pressure when we spray the juice to it :)

Put you a Holley blue on that thing..... And for voltage change over to a 100 amp alt. Gonna need that fuel pressure when we spray the juice to it :)
Let me get it our of her nest (garage) first :D
and if it means me going to a 100 amp alt, we will have to get together on
keeping it off my good bulk head, buy pass it to go to an electric fuel pump :glasses7:, Hang in there with me moparsegura :cheers: You are
the juice tec for me, when I make this move to get that 9.80 1/8 mile et. slip

I just ordered a Carter, not even NAPA can order them anymore !!
Everyone in town just had the airtex and I am not going to put another
airtex on.... It should be here Friday [-o<

Guys over on slantsix.org get one from a big block(440 HP& Hemi) and drive out the rollpin that holds the arm in place and use the arm off the old slant pump. That way you can use the rebuildable Carter and index the fuel lines where you want.Mancini has them,they ain't cheap about a $100 bucks. Just a thought.

If you have not done so already take the time to check your pickup unit in the gas tank to see if the screen is intact. After 40+ years they tend to disappear then nasty stuff gets sucked into your pump which can partially clog it. It happened to me, the new pump only lasted a couple of weeks before I realized what was going on. I ended up replacing the tank, the sending unit and the pump. All is fine now.

If you have not done so already take the time to check your pickup unit in the gas tank to see if the screen is intact. After 40+ years they tend to disappear then nasty stuff gets sucked into your pump which can partially clog it. It happened to me, the new pump only lasted a couple of weeks before I realized what was going on. I ended up replacing the tank, the sending unit and the pump. All is fine now.

No problem with fuel pressure, or supply cudajim, I was getting gas in my crank case. i do believe I have a reseat that shows the full sending unit and sock/filter was changed out in 2005. Thank you :glasses7:

Well the Carter made it here :cheers: and fast.3 days to my front door.
See yall later :glasses7:
Heading to the nest and it is pouring rain, Thankful for a dry garage :D

Attachments

• SLANT 6 VALVE COVER ART 004.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 144
-
Back