Good reliable Kansas City area machine shop?

-

Inspector71

Reaction score
I'm not there but soon will have my block apart and ready to be boiled and then bored, machined, squared, and so forth. I was wondering if anyone knew of a reliable machine shop in the K.C. area that you would trust to do the work. Thanks.

After being recommended to them a couple of times now, I'm going to use Automotive Machine and Performance in Lawrence. They are supposedly Mopar guys who race a big block Cuda and have built performance oriented engines for over 20 years.

I spoke with Doc there the other day and he seemed real cool and talked with me for about 15 minutes on the phone. I told him what I was doing and he agreed that the could do as much or as little of my short block as I wanted. He said they aren't open on weekends, but he offered to meet me there on Saturday morning so that I could drop off my block. He seemed like a pretty straight shooter to me. He quoted me $140 to hot tank, jet clean and magnaflux my block.

I'm in Lees Summit too btw, so that's almost an hour drive. Precision Crankshaft (another Mopar shop) is right here in LS, but I heard the two brothers that run it are either fightin or drinkin depending on what time of day it is!

I'll check with both and I appreciate your replies. I am going to being by having the block hot tanked and machined ( 30 over) and stored until I have the money for the stroker kit. For Brian T, tell me about it. I had a 66 Sport Fury with a modified poly-head 318 that was running hot. They had that car for about 4 months and could find nothing wrong. I started it up and water was blowing out of the dual exhaust. They said it was condensation for sitting a long time. I took it home and was preparing to take it to the HPAC show when it was still in Blue Springs. A friend tried to adjust the valves but green radiator fluid came squirting up through the heads where oil is supposed to squirt. We barely got the valve covers back on. After spending over $2K on the motor, I said no more. I sold the aluminum intake and found radiator fluid everywhere under the intake. When we pulled the motor, we found quite a lot of radiator fluid sitting on top of the oil in the oil pan as well as in the cylinders. We figured we had a blown head gasket, cracked block, you name it. How is it the Precision couldn't find this but non-mechanic like me did? I'll check both places out. Word of mouth is like gold to me.

-
Back