Got a new compressor today.

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
After many years of service, my Husky 26 gallon portable compressor rusted the tank bottom out. I "thought" about repairing it, but instead stripped it of the good motor and pump and set them aside.

Went to Home Depot, since I had a Husky and it was a good one. Found one and since it was the display, and it was also missing one air cleaner and the oil fill plug for the pump, I asked if they could do better.

Sales girl went to ask a manager. Came back and said manager said it was already a good price on a good compressor and they would knock 15 whole dollars off. Off to Lowes.

Found one at Lowes about the same. 30 gallon portable. 110 volt. Again, display was all they had......but I still asked if that was the best they could do and the guy instantly knocked 50 bucks off. SOLD.

I ended up with this.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_268707-1126-VT6389___?productId=3824207&pl=1&Ntt=air+compressor#BVRRWidgetID

Not bad,Rob. Had to leave my Campbell Hausfield 6 horse 220 behind ,when I left my shop. ( the home garage ,doesn't have room...). Amazing how you miss tools,once you get used to them.

Yeah. The Home Depot was a twin cylinder pump, too, but this Lowes one pumps up real fast. I think it will be a goodun.

Well ya know Rob, you could rig the old pump and motor up on the old mount---cut it off the tank, and just plumb it into the new tank. BAMB!!!! Twice as much air

I have actually thought about that.

Well ya know Rob, you could rig the old pump and motor up on the old mount---cut it off the tank, and just plumb it into the new tank. BAMB!!!! Twice as much air

Damn good idea,Del...

Well Del, Lemmie ask you.....IF I decide to give THAT a whirl, will that ONE regulator be enough for TWO motors and pumps?

I think you'll need both. They determine when each motor shuts off. the new one will determine the pressure going to your tools, but the old one will still need one to shut it off when your max pressure is reached...jmo

I mean pressure switch, not regulator. Sorry.

Well Del, Lemmie ask you.....IF I decide to give THAT a whirl, will that ONE regulator be enough for TWO motors and pumps?

I think I would mount the old PS on the new tank and make them independent. "They are likely" to start at different times, reducing starting surge / load. And of course you can adjust on / the other to make that so. You would also need whatever is used for the unloader. Depending on what that "is" it might be easy, or not. You could also make a "mini tank" on the old setup let's say, a length of something like 1" pipe, capped, with a reducing tee or even fittings welded in........give you a place to mount the switch and unloader. Remember, tho.........the air coming out of that thing is HOT just like the head. You'd likely need some sort of high temp stuff to jumper to the new tank, or else permanently mount both so you can use a copper tube.

Good Deal on the pump Rusty.
3yrs ago labor day I bought a new 5 hp 60 gal Puma compressor form Northern Tool. I dont have 220 in my garage. My son is an electrician. I have been waiting for 3 yrs for him to wire my compressor. He works a lot of overtime. I'm still waiting. Its still sitting in the garage on the pallet. I am going to run the wire myself, and have him hook it too the breaker box. he brought me the wire, and put an extra box on our main breaker box, in the basement. I am making SLOOOOOW progress. Is not easy to wire the garage with all the benches and stuff in there, but I'll get it.

I have a Puma 115 volt 30 gal twin cylinder, but it is still to small for lots of air tools, especialy my 20 gal sand blaster. So I can't wait to get the 60 gal wired up. Then I can blast my Dart a section at a time and, paint it. I blasted the whole under side, and it was slow, and tortuas process.

barracudadave67

Good deal on that air compressor.
I was at tractor supply standing in the check out line, when the manager brought out and air compressor, severely reduced, brand new, never had oil in it.

As soon as the manager took his hand off it, I put my hand on the compressor.
About the same time, a guy walked in the front door, that looked identical to the manager, had to be the managers brother, the look on the guys face that just walked in was priceless.

I bought it as a spare for $249.00 taxes included.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-VT6290-Air-Compressor/p85.html

Good deal on that air compressor.
I was at tractor supply standing in the check out line, when the manager brought out and air compressor, severely reduced, brand new, never had oil in it.

As soon as the manager took his hand off it, I put my hand on the compressor.
About the same time, a guy walked in the front door, that looked identical to the manager, had to be the managers brother, the look on the guys face that just walked in was priceless.

I bought it as a spare for $249.00 taxes included.

http://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/Campbell-Hausfeld-VT6290-Air-Compressor/p85.html

That's a nice one. They had a 60 gallon vertical right next to the one I got and they said they would knock 50 off it too.......I almost got it, but what I wanted was a portable. Every now and then I have to go make repairs on my brother in law's riding mower and I need an impact. He has a terrible habit of running over everything humanly possible to damage his riding mower. I had that mower seven seasons and then sold it to him. I never had not one single thing happen to it. Almost without fail, every time he uses it, he breaks something. Dangdest thing I ever saw.

That's a nice one. They had a 60 gallon vertical right next to the one I got and they said they would knock 50 off it too.......I almost got it, but what I wanted was a portable. Every now and then I have to go make repairs on my brother in law's riding mower and I need an impact. He has a terrible habit of running over everything humanly possible to damage his riding mower. I had that mower seven seasons and then sold it to him. I never had not one single thing happen to it. Almost without fail, every time he uses it, he breaks something. Dangdest thing I ever saw.

That's funny, my little sister is hard on lawnmowers also.
There is one wheel and bracket off the mower deck of her 2 yr old kabota laying on my work bench. I have no idea what she hit to tear that off.
Been waiting for her to bring the mower up for me to weld on since early spring.
I guess she just keeps mowing with one wheel on the deck.

After many years of service, my Husky 26 gallon portable compressor rusted the tank bottom out. I "thought" about repairing it, but instead stripped it of the good motor and pump and set them aside.

Went to Home Depot, since I had a Husky and it was a good one. Found one and since it was the display, and it was also missing one air cleaner and the oil fill plug for the pump, I asked if they could do better.

Sales girl went to ask a manager. Came back and said manager said it was already a good price on a good compressor and they would knock 15 whole dollars off. Off to Lowes.

Found one at Lowes about the same. 30 gallon portable. 110 volt. Again, display was all they had......but I still asked if that was the best they could do and the guy instantly knocked 50 bucks off. SOLD.

I ended up with this.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_268707-1126-VT6389___?productId=3824207&pl=1&Ntt=air+compressor#BVRRWidgetID

Nice score! :thumblef:

-
Back