Got a Valiant to compliment the Dart!

-

Iron Oxide

Reaction score
The wife and I picked up a 64 2 door post Valiant this morning! I've been looking for a slant car to tinker with, as my Dart project snowballed into a major project. Kind of a fun car, my first push button transmission.

We drove down under the impression that it was a 225, but I'm pretty certain it's a 170. The car hasn't been on the road since 2004 and has had some water in it, so the floors are going to need some attention.

The gentleman that we bought it from had it running off of a gravity fed fuel can because the fuel pump wasn't working... Until it started squirting at the exhaust manifold! :eek: Hooked the fuel line up and got it onto the trailer under its own power.

This one is going to remain mostly stock. Planning on addressing floors, brakes, seat belts, getting all of the electrical sorted out, and putting some miles on her this summer.

20200301_151801.jpg

20200301_152417.jpg

20200301_152430.jpg

20200301_161825.jpg

Figuring out which engine you have is easy. Look at the length of the hose going from the water pump to the head. If it's about 2-1/2" to 3" long, it's a 225. If it's more like 1-1/2" long it's a 170.

I have one like it but three on the tree. It's a 170 as well. Don't let that get you down. Mine is quite peppy. That short stroke really gets spinnin quick!

I'm not down at all, looking forward to getting started on her! This one is stock all the way down to the 13" wheels and original hubcaps. Push button mechanism is solid too.

I'm not down at all, looking forward to getting started on her! This one is stock all the way down to the 13" wheels and original hubcaps. Push button mechanism is solid too.

Mine is too. Stock as can be. The way I change my mind, it might stay like this. It runs so good I hate to mess a good thing up.

I had a 170 Dart once. It was a fun driver! You don't need big power to enjoy driving your car.

That car looks like it'll be a nice little ride!

Just look at the pad on the deck just under the head behind the coil. There is a code there.it will start with a letter( not sure what letter they used in 64) then the cu in, then other numbers. So a 65 is A 170xxxx or A 225xxxx a 64 would be ?170 or ?225 I have a 170 in my 65 Valiant wagon with a 4 speed behind it. It's a blast to drive. The 170's are really good little motors and they last forever

-
Back