Got flooded on friday

-

daliant

Befuddled
Reaction score
Picked up about 5" of rain in a 2 hour period and these are the results.
off to the upper left in the first picture there is a fire truck blocking the intersection because there is a 6 foot high geyser of water blowing out of the manhole for a storm drain, the water made its way into my back yard flooding my garage and my basement. I had to scramble to get my tools to high ground as the garage had 2 feet of water in it in a mater of about 10 minutes, the basement filled up with about 5 feet of water in about the same amount of time once the water reached the windows and entry door. Spent the weekend drying out about 2/3rds of my tools. Lost my furnace, hot water tank, washer, dryer, circuit breaker panel, 2 drill presses, one of my welders, 8 transmission, 4 engines and some miscellaneous parts.

Called the fire dept Fri afternoon to pump out my basement and got put on the "list", still no word from them, I borrowed a pump from work and pumped it out myself Sat morning. They were nice enough to send the gas company to my house a 1:30 in the morning to lock out my gas meter though, they wanted to lock out my electric but I lied and told them the panel didn't get wet (it did) I needed the power so I could pump out the basement, That was the first and last time I will ever ask a govt agency for help.

My 46 Plymouth was trapped in the garage up on jack stands with the front end pulled apart
View attachment 100_1328.jpg

Had to close the door because some of my stuff was floating away
View attachment 100_1330.jpg

My swinger project got wet up to the top of the wheels, engine and rear end are full of water, the floor and everything up to the water line has a coating of gear oil and mud.
View attachment 100_1333.jpg

Being up on jack stands saved the engine in the 46 but the rear end was full of water, there's no interior in it yet so no real damage, just has some silt in it
View attachment 100_1335.jpg

Dang. We've had a frigton of rain here this year. Nothing like that thank goodness.

Bummer, that really sucks, good luck with the repairs and clean up, hopefully you have good insurance too that will help

Sorry for the misfortune. Hope you can recover soon. Was the basement finished?

Dry the basement as fast as possible ,fan 24 hrs on full.
Did you have full developed basement? If so start ripping.
Sorry to read this,we have thousands of homes flooded here.
Safety first!

Darryl

Total bummer! Hope you get back on track soon. Good luck!

Sorry to hear of your plight. Hope it all works out for you and your family. I was thinking Lockport is on the canal, am I right? If so, was that a factor in the flooding? Lived near the canal in Baldwinsville for quite a few years and then again in the Rochester area. Flooding makes such a mess of things, hope your losses are not too great, but the process of "coming back" is also pretty challenging. God bless.

Do you know anyone with a paint shop? If so, when my mother's car was flooded, the dealer put it in their paint booth with the doors and trunk open and cranked the heaters up full blast!

Neither car has any interior, the 46 just has a bench seat that didn't get wet, the swinger just has the top of the back seat which I wasn't planning on using anyway. The only damage to the 46 was water in the rear end and all the sheet metal that I spent the last 2 years rebuilding and or replacing got wet. The swinger got the worst of it, water in all of the drivetrain (318/904/8.25) which I was on the fence about using for that project, I guess nature made the call on that one. The 400 big block and dana 60 rear that I was planning on using in the swinger got dunked as well and still need to be dried out and oiled.

The house luckily wasn't affected just unfinished basement was. The water came up so fast that it blew some of the basement windows out, it was like a scene out of the movie Titanic the way water was pushing it's way through the basement door and flowing through the windows. No insurance so it's all on my dime but the county was declared a disaster area so hopefully fema can help me out with some of the expense. The basement is slowly drying up and so far I've replaced the breaker panel and the hot water tank so life has returned somewhat back to normal. Still a fuc*in nightmare though.

Lot's of flooding in my area too. 6" if rain in 4 hours is too much. Hope you got rid of the water asap and was able to dry the area fast too. tmm

Neither car has any interior, the 46 just has a bench seat that didn't get wet, the swinger just has the top of the back seat which I wasn't planning on using anyway. The only damage to the 46 was water in the rear end and all the sheet metal that I spent the last 2 years rebuilding and or replacing got wet. The swinger got the worst of it, water in all of the drivetrain (318/904/8.25) which I was on the fence about using for that project, I guess nature made the call on that one. The 400 big block and dana 60 rear that I was planning on using in the swinger got dunked as well and still need to be dried out and oiled.

The house luckily wasn't affected just unfinished basement was. The water came up so fast that it blew some of the basement windows out, it was like a scene out of the movie Titanic the way water was pushing it's way through the basement door and flowing through the windows. No insurance so it's all on my dime but the county was declared a disaster area so hopefully fema can help me out with some of the expense. The basement is slowly drying up and so far I've replaced the breaker panel and the hot water tank so life has returned somewhat back to normal. Still a fuc*in nightmare though.

Can you run dehumidifiers to dry it out? If not...even a couple electric heaters and fans blowing out will help a lot!

I wouldn't write off the 318/904, either. I bet a good cleaning will have them ready to run!

-
Back