Got my complete MSD ignition setup today

-

harrisonm

Reaction score
I finally pulled the trigger on a complete MSD ignition system (box, coil, distributor and wires), and it came today. Summit had a sale and it was only $640. I plan to bump my cam a bit and add EFI later, so I thought I would do this first. The Mopar Performance electronic ignition (orange box) I have works fine, I just thought I would upgrade it first. I will probably sell the current ignition system when I put in the new one. I will soon see if the claims to improved idle and crisper throttle response are real.
MSD.JPG

from my experience with 3 installations of MSD Streetfire boxes where mopar electronic ignition was installed before…...it definitively improved idle. Waiting for your next post ;-)

Michael

When I replaced the Mopar box setup on my 360 with a HEI setup (recommended by a couple of A-bodies members) there was a big difference in idle and starting. Im sure you see the same with MSD.

Do you have a link to the "complete system"? I cannot seem to find it.

TIA

Do you have a link to the "complete system"? I cannot seem to find it.

TIA
There is not a "Complete System" per se. I bought the pieces separately. I got the 64253 Black 6 Digital AL box, 85345 Black cap billet distributor, 8222 Black Coil, 31183 Plug wires and a pair of 3313 90 degree spark plug boots. I have headers that make straight spark plug wires not possible on cylinders 5 and 7, since the wire and boot would touch the tube. The guy at MSD recommended the make-your-own 31183 plug wire kit with straight boots and then purchase a pair of 90 degree spark plug boots for 5 and 7. Summit had "Spend $500 and save $50". So it wound up being cheaper than I could find it anywhere else.

There is not a "Complete System" per se. I bought the pieces separately. I got the 64253 Black 6 Digital AL box, 85345 Black cap billet distributor, 8222 Black Coil, 31183 Plug wires and a pair of 3313 90 degree spark plug boots. I have headers that make straight spark plug wires not possible on cylinders 5 and 7, since the wire and boot would touch the tube. The guy at MSD recommended the make-your-own 31183 plug wire kit with straight boots and then purchase a pair of 90 degree spark plug boots for 5 and 7. Summit had "Spend $500 and save $50". So it wound up being cheaper than I could find it anywhere else.

Thank you for the detailed response. Good information.

FWIW, I have a MSD system on my Dart and a stock distributor on the Barracuda. The Dart is MUCH easier to start.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

David

I finally pulled the trigger on a complete MSD ignition system (box, coil, distributor and wires), and it came today. Summit had a sale and it was only $640. I plan to bump my cam a bit and add EFI later, so I thought I would do this first. The Mopar Performance electronic ignition (orange box) I have works fine, I just thought I would upgrade it first. I will probably sell the current ignition system when I put in the new one. I will soon see if the claims to improved idle and crisper throttle response are real.
View attachment 1715332196

"Only $640" :D

I have run msd for years, not sure on throttle response or easier starting. I know with the cam I have it helps keep the plugs clean. Never had it happen to me, but the boxes do die. I would almost keep the box you have now in the car as a spare. FBO makes a 10 deg bushing for the advance so you can run a bunch of initial to make the idle easier. The oil filled coils are not supposed to be mounted horizontally. That being said I have done it for years with no issues.

I purchased the PerTronix system for my 68 Dart GTS. I bought the Igniter 3 system which includes the look alike distributor, flame thrower 3 coil and wires for $325.00. With this system I eliminated the chrome box and resister. I did some research on the MSD systems but I did not want to mount the MSD box anywhere and they do have a tendency to fail which could leave you stranded. The Pertronix system did improve my idle and ease of starting, touch the key and she fires right up. Can't really say about throttle response as I running the new Edelbrock 650 AVS-2 and that made a huge improvement in throttle response over the carb I replaced it with.

I've had my full MSD setup in my car for ~ 25 years (6AL, billet distributer, blaster 2 coil)...not 1 hiccup ever....and I beat on my car on a regular basis.

Can you use a modern timing light like the INNOVA 5568 with these MSD boxes?

If you need more initial timing than the MSD advance bushing allows, I have 10 and 14* bushings available.

I have had terrible luck with MSD. Terrible!
I kept the MP box wires in for what became the norm for me, failing boxes. From my point of view, I don’t know how they stay in biz. I constantly had failures and kept re using the MP box.

Mount your oil coil up and down.
The epoxy coil can go sideways.

Of my boxes that didn’t fail, I found everything written on the side of the box true. Take the time (if not already done) to Super tune what you have. The. Swap over to the MSD. There might be a slight adjustment when you switch.

You’ll find what the box states is right. My biggest finding was the added mileage. The biggest return was with street driven cars and 3.55’s and down Hwy gears.

I have had terrible luck with MSD. Terrible!
I kept the MP box wires in for what became the norm for me, failing boxes. From my point of view, I don’t know how they stay in biz. I constantly had failures and kept re using the MP box.

Mount your oil coil up and down.
The epoxy coil can go sideways.

Of my boxes that didn’t fail, I found everything written on the side of the box true. Take the time (if not already done) to Super tune what you have. The. Swap over to the MSD. There might be a slight adjustment when you switch.

You’ll find what the box states is right. My biggest finding was the added mileage. The biggest return was with street driven cars and 3.55’s and down Hwy gears.

On my 5th msd hotrod, never had a problem w/ any of them. Coils mounted laying down too, just like this one -------

IMG_0392.JPG.jpeg

I went from stock to full MSD and didn't lose .001 in the 1/4 mile...
It's been reliable though....
But I can't say more reliable...

On my 5th msd hotrod, never had a problem w/ any of them. Coils mounted laying down too, just like this one -------

View attachment 1715334582

Your coil is an E-coil (Epoxy filled) and can be mounted any way you desire.

A "normal" coil or canister coil is filled with oil for cooling the coil, so they can start to leak the oil out, if defective or seal fails and will eventually burn out/fail, if they are mounted sideways.

I know most factory mounting for coils is usually sideways on top of intake manifold......but I think the coils were better made "in the good old days" and were not low quality/junk that is produced today.

Someone may chime in, if I am incorrect :realcrazy:

Geez...640$

I’d return it. I’ve had not much luck with MSD. And it’s only good for starting-3000
Rpm. So that’s a 50/50 or so success rate according to this post. Plus theyre screwy with the timing light.

You said you’re going efi soon, go buy megasquirt for the same price. Efi is a little tricky with it. You’d have to read up a lot. But...the megasquirt also allows full authority over ignition timing, independently from fuel control. Just add a coil for $60 and a Bosch ignition driver, $8.Lock out the distributor and you’re done. Tune ignition with your laptop on the fly.

Last edited:
I have two 6T boxes for my dirt car project... old, reliable (I hope!) analog stuff....

Let us know what you think of everything. I'm curios about the distributor-does it fit well. Looks good!

Let us know what you think of everything. I'm curios about the distributor-does it fit well. Looks good!
Pick up a knock off that is made by the same parent company as MSD's distributor from Pace Performance. Awesome unit, I love it.

-
Back