Got my complete MSD ignition setup today

-
Geez...640$

I’d return it. I’ve had not much luck with MSD. And it’s only good for starting-3000
Rpm. So that’s a 50/50 or so success rate according to this post. Plus theyre screwy with the timing light.

You said you’re going efi soon, go buy megasquirt for the same price. Efi is a little tricky with it. You’d have to read up a lot. But...the megasquirt also allows full authority over ignition timing, independently from fuel control. Just add a coil for $60 and a Bosch ignition driver, $8.Lock out the distributor and you’re done. Tune ignition with your laptop on the fly.

In case u didn't notice, that's a fast 2.0 fuel inj. set up with that MSD stuff, everything is controlled on it by the F.I. too.
There seems to be a lot of people that want others to run what their running, and don't know squat about what their talking about .
3000 rpm , gimme a break !
I don't own a laptop , or want one , I can tune everything with my hand held too.

In case u didn't notice, that's a fast 2.0 fuel inj. set up with that MSD stuff, everything is controlled on it by the F.I. too.
There seems to be a lot of people that want others to run what their running, and don't know squat about what their talking about .
3000 rpm , gimme a break !
I don't own a laptop , or want one , I can tune everything with my hand held too.

I didn’t notice jack about your ride because you didn’t create this post. Live in the 80’s without a laptop, ol’ man. A fool and their money will soon depart.

Msd stated their pro billet distributor is good till 10,000 RPM and stable to .10 of a degree.

Mine is old analog maybe 20 years old? Works fine.

My box in inside the car tho so not getting hot or splashed with water. Not that I drive the race car in the rain anyway...

3000 rpm , gimme a break !.

Simply go read MSDs own printed instructions. Above 3000 - you’re just like everybody else. You want multiple hot sparks beyond that - you need multiple coils.

catshit !
Simply go read MSDs own printed instructions. Above 3000 - you’re just like everybody else. You want multiple hot sparks beyond that - you need multiple coils.

From what I`ve read in the advertisements, no ign. system does multiple sparks above 3000 rpm.

catshit !

From what I`ve read in the advertisements, no ign. system does multiple sparks above 3000 rpm.

Obviously you didn't read up on the PerTronix Igniter 3. It might be worth your while to check them out. I have one in the 68 GTS and this system flat out works

Obviously you didn't read up on the PerTronix Igniter 3. It might be worth your while to check them out. I have one in the 68 GTS and this system flat out works

Cool, so how much would be gained , in any way , over something that is working great to start with. ????????????
Am I going to pay for anew set up to replace something that works ?
How much would I gain , 1 h.p. for the cost of a complete new system ?
I f, I needed a new ignition system , I might check it out---I DON`T !

I just bought the pertronix Digital HP Box coil for my race/street strip Dakota. The box was only $219 through summit racing. I dont really know much about it, but for what all it does, I dont think you can beat the price.

Digital HP Ignition Box Black Anodized Finish
They even have the mobile hp box that you can changing/set up with Blue Tooth off your phone.

Oops sorry to the OP didnt mean to high Jack your thread.looks like you got a lot of nice parts for your car.

Installed a MSD 6530 programmable box and MSD Blaster HVC-2 coil in my supercharged Ram. Had to up the game over the OEM ignition system because I was experiencing "spark blow out".
I use my lap top to program rev limit, burn out limit, and launch. I just use the rev limit right now until I figure out the others... lol

Installed a MSD 6530 programmable box and MSD Blaster HVC-2 coil in my supercharged Ram. Had to up the game over the OEM ignition system because I was experiencing "spark blow out".
I use my lap top to program rev limit, burn out limit, and launch. I just use the rev limit right now until I figure out the others... lol
Nice! Sounds like it’s experiment time!
My favorite!

^^^^^^^^^^
That's why we went to an MSD in the hemi, the yr we switched to superstock

UPDATE!
Finally got around to the install. The only problem was that the notch at the bottom of the distributor did not align with the rotor cap exactly like the Mopar Performance distributor I took out. That required a little tweaking, but it was no big deal. The car started up right away. I guessed pretty close at the timing. After setting the timing it runs really well. Have not taken for drive yet. Before, I had my car at 35 degrees total timing by 3500 RPM (vacuum canister was not used). I was planning on swapping out bushings and springs so as to get about 34 degrees total by about 3500. It has headers, Comp 268 Extreme Energy cam, Eddy Air gap. Right at about 375 HP. Anybody have comments or suggestion on that timing? And after letting it cool down completely, it really did start faster.

UPDATE!
Finally got around to the install. The only problem was that the notch at the bottom of the distributor did not align with the rotor cap exactly like the Mopar Performance distributor I took out. That required a little tweaking, but it was no big deal. The car started up right away. I guessed pretty close at the timing. After setting the timing it runs really well. Have not taken for drive yet. Before, I had my car at 35 degrees total timing by 3500 RPM (vacuum canister was not used). I was planning on swapping out bushings and springs so as to get about 34 degrees total by about 3500. It has headers, Comp 268 Extreme Energy cam, Eddy Air gap. Right at about 375 HP. Anybody have comments or suggestion on that timing? And after letting it cool down completely, it really did start faster.

I had my 505 at 34 in at 3400, and changed it to 34 all in at 3000, haven`t noticed anything detremental. Running 91 oct non ethanol dog piss---------found a new station close to a new dodge dealer that has 93 ethanol gas, I suspect the dodge dealer needed it for the hemi`s. Wish they had 93 non ethanol !

UPDATE!
What compression do you have? Heads?

What compression do you have? Heads?
Drove it today. Runs GREAT. 10.5 Compression and J heads with 2.02 intakes. Might fiddle with it a bit more. Might have to replace the clutch. The rear tires are not breaking loose in second.

-
Back