Got ripped off. Looking for a new idea for the inside of the engine. Stroker maybe?

-
Lots of food for thought, Bill. I appreciate the advice!

Chuck, You're welcome.

One of the hurdles in building a turbocharged slant six is the exhaust system; specifically, the turbo mount.

Well, a guy on FABO has come up with a neat soution for milder applications (up to about 350 horsepower. It's a J-pipe that bolts onto the stock exhaust manifold (rather than welding it to it,) and I have a picture of it, attached. It's just a simple J-Pipe that is easy to build.

It removes the difficulty of building a header, and won't cause the cast iron exhaust manifold to crack, (which they are prone to do.)

Here it is...

Attachments

• js640_pishta.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 189
  • PISHTAFRONT.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 186
Intercoolers are never 'required' on a turbo car, and many have not had them, both production and one-offs. It is there to cool the air and allow even more to be packed in the cylinders. If you are going to stay in the 8-10 psi range, the heating is not typically all that bad anyway.

If you are going to stay in the 8-10 psi range, the heating is not typically all that bad anyway.

Okay. Thanks! I'm obviously a total noob with turbos. I like the concept a lot though. I may have to look into the possibility of a small, "hidden" turbo like Bill mentioned earlier. I think my underhood will already be too crowded with A/C, power steering, etc. Something towards the back of the car could be cool though.

Okay. Thanks! I'm obviously a total noob with turbos. I like the concept a lot though. I may have to look into the possibility of a small, "hidden" turbo like Bill mentioned earlier. I think my underhood will already be too crowded with A/C, power steering, etc. Something towards the back of the car could be cool though.

What NM9stheham said in the previous message is 100% correct, so you really have no need of an intercooler if your boost level stays below, say, 12 pounds; not much heat to nullify.

You can, however, install an alky/water spray system that will help make the mixture more dense, but would not be a necessity. Snowperformance makes one, but there are many from which to choose, should you decide yoiu want one.

A rear mounted turbo would have the added advantage od losing a lot of heat, in the long discharge pipe that runs from the turbo to the carb hat (or, injector.) There is that advantage to consider....

Good luck! :cheers:

A rear mounted turbo would have the added advantage od losing a lot of heat, in the long discharge pipe that runs from the turbo to the carb hat (or, injector.) There is that advantage to consider....
Actually near the back of the car is a bad idea..... The system will loose a lot of heat from the exhaust manifold to the turbo impeller... that is energy for the turbo and is important in getting a quick spool up.

Keep the exhaust connection as short as you can and use the wrap as shown on the J pipe too. I'd add a brace on that turbo mount.

Actually near the back of the car is a bad idea..... The system will loose a lot of heat from the exhaust manifold to the turbo impeller... that is energy for the turbo and is important in getting a quick spool up.

Keep the exhaust connection as short as you can and use the wrap as shown on the J pipe too. I'd add a brace on that turbo mount.

That advice is valid and makes a lot of sense, except, he wants to have air-conditioning, and power steering on this car, and space is at a premium in the engine compartment for an A-C compressor and a power steering pump AND a turbo, a wastegate and all the plumbing that goes with it. Packaging all that stuff becomes a problem.

There are many rear-mounted turbos being used, successfully, (a whole cottage industry has sprung up, offereing kits for these,) and while they really do have the problems you pointed out, they work... obviously not as well as an engine-mounted system, but they DO work. Having one of these in place would still be more desirable then building a naturally-aspirated system, I think.

Just my 2-cents...

i can see only one problem with the picture of the turbo above and that is the placement of that fuel filter. if you are going to run one under the hood with a turbo either reroute the fuel line away from the turbo or put the filter before the fuel pump.

That advice is valid and makes a lot of sense, except, he wants to have air-conditioning, and power steering on this car, and space is at a premium in the engine compartment for an A-C compressor and a power steering pump AND a turbo, a wastegate and all the plumbing that goes with it. Packaging all that stuff becomes a problem.

There are many rear-mounted turbos being used, successfully, (a whole cottage industry has sprung up, offereing kits for these,) and while they really do have the problems you pointed out, they work... obviously not as well as an engine-mounted system, but they DO work. Having one of these in place would still be more desirable then building a naturally-aspirated system, I think.

Just my 2-cents...
Roger Bill..... having raced a turbo car for years in rallying, all I can say is that turbo lag sucks! Getting the CR right and the right turbo impeller and size (i.e., not too big, and keeping it all tight, with a big exhaust pipe can make turbo lag go almost totally away.

The J-pipe shown is very nice and easy to fabricate, but turns in the exhaust side INTO the turbo can be a LOT,LOT tighter than that shown in the J-pipe pix, and it will still work fine; you can do 90 degree turns in an inch and it will work out. So the package can be made a LOT more compact than the setup shown. And the AC can be put up higher; not sure which AC package that Chuck is looking at but the Sanden type compressors are pretty small.

Chuck, do you remember seeing my turbo engine on the stand? That uses a "J" pipe. It does fit with power steering and my (your) A/C setup. However mine is a draw thru, and the carb sits high (requires a hood scoop).

Roger Bill..... having raced a turbo car for years in rallying, all I can say is that turbo lag sucks! Getting the CR right and the right turbo impeller and size (i.e., not too big, and keeping it all tight, with a big exhaust pipe can make turbo lag go almost totally away.

The J-pipe shown is very nice and easy to fabricate, but turns in the exhaust side INTO the turbo can be a LOT,LOT tighter than that shown in the J-pipe pix, and it will still work fine; you can do 90 degree turns in an inch and it will work out. So the package can be made a LOT more compact than the setup shown. And the AC can be put up higher; not sure which AC package that Chuck is looking at but the Sanden type compressors are pretty small.

Taking all that into consideration, it looks like a J-pipe might be the best method for boosting this /6.

Turbo lag is not something you want to have to deal with on a continuing basis, for sure...

Thanks for the insight! :violent1:

I had forgotten you'd tested that to fit, Charlie. Good point. I'm really not all that eager to have a hood scoop at the moment, but my tune could always change. Certainly a lot to think about...

The turbo setup could be changed very easily to avoid a hood scoop. Remember mine is a draw thru with a downdraft carb on the inlet of a high mounted turbo. It was a "down and dirty" install back in 1979 (36 years ago). A lot more knowledge and info since then.

He's taking the engine to my machinist this weekend. I'll let him post what he decided to do. And no, not a 6-71 blower :)

Just to add my 2c I opened my 71 block .80 and decked it .010 but I did the same head work you did, used the Aussie long runner intake with the edel 500 and Clifford short headers. Sounded like a V8 while idling and had lots of power for what it was.

Hi Dizzydean
Is it possible to get the information of the build you did including the complete exhaust from engine to tailpipe Please mate.
Trying to get ideas for my build.
Thanks mate

Hi Dizzydean
Is it possible to get the information of the build you did including the complete exhaust from engine to tailpipe Please mate.
Trying to get ideas for my build.
Thanks mate
You realize that you opened up a 5 year old thread. Other than Charlie IDK if anyone else in the thread is still around this forum. I will add that I have considered adding a turbo to the slant that I am building, am on the fence about that.
I remember this guy "army of chuckness" from the slant 6 site some years ago. Haven't seen him over there either.
Reading his 1st few posts here he never really said what his problem was with the combo he originally had built, it sounds like a pretty good build.
He never said if he completed the original build, or drove it with that engine in place or what. I get the impression that as of 2016 it may have been still a pile of parts. I definitely know how that is, my volare has been a pile of parts almost since then, and here it is 5 years after army of chuckness posted in this thread.

You realize that you opened up a 5 year old thread. Other than Charlie IDK if anyone else in the thread is still around this forum. I will add that I have considered adding a turbo to the slant that I am building, am on the fence about that.
I remember this guy "army of chuckness" from the slant 6 site some years ago. Haven't seen him over there either.
Reading his 1st few posts here he never really said what his problem was with the combo he originally had built, it sounds like a pretty good build.
He never said if he completed the original build, or drove it with that engine in place or what. I get the impression that as of 2016 it may have been still a pile of parts. I definitely know how that is, my volare has been a pile of parts almost since then, and here it is 5 years after army of chuckness posted in this thread.

Thanks Dizzy

So does that mean that you never put the engine that you were building 5 odd years ago together?? Sorry wasn’t sure if that’s what you meant by that?.

Cheers mate

It's another internet Covid confined regurgitated archived topic! This has been turning into a bad disease for I-net forums lately!

It's another internet Covid confined regurgitated archived topic! This has been turning into a bad disease for I-net forums lately!

Hi Sixty Niner
Would I be better off starting a New thread about an old post?
Or start an old post about a new thread or just wait till everyone’s had there Covid-19 injection?.

Last edited:

Armyofchuckness drove his car to Carlisle PA from Florida in 2016. I met him and his car there. I think I remember he sold the car and moved onto something else

I haven't heard anything from Bill Dedman in about 3 years. Last I remember he was having serious health problems and I fear the worst.

Armyofchuckness drove his car to Carlisle PA from Florida in 2016. I met him and his car there. I think I remember he sold the car and moved onto something else

I haven't heard anything from Bill Dedman in about 3 years. Last I remember he was having serious health problems and I fear the worst.

Chuck is still driving his car.
Sorry to say Bill passed about 3 years ago.

Hi Sixty Niner
Would I be better off starting a New thread about an old post?
Or start an old post about a new thread or just wait till you’ve had your Covid-19 injection?.

Judging by the last 2 comments after yours, I'll answer your question with a question.
What do you think, or do you even think? You better be easy with the Covid crap PAL!

there is ALOT of posts here at FABO, let alone just in the slant 6 section.... adding to this post that somewhat pertains to what you are after shows taht you have tried to search for your answer instead of asking a question that may have been answered 1000 times before you asked it.... answering the same thing many times does tend to drive me nuts.

and on the subject of COVID, yeah/ boredom has driven many to the computer.... but the subject of COVID itself, masks, business closures, event cancellations, have been way too overblown since this crap started...... I can't overstate exactly how sick and tired of it all, that I am!!!!!
they didnt close everything down for H1N1, swine flu, AIDS, cancer or any of 1000 other ailments why is this one so special? I myself have HAD IT with all things COVID!

-
Back