gps speed sensor?

-

phaelax

Reaction score
Has anyone used a gps based speedometer? Did you find them accurate and reliable?

Has anyone used a gps based speedometer? Did you find them accurate and reliable?
I am forced to use the gps speedometer on my phone, and it just plain sux. Almost as much as the 7 1/4 2.73 pegleg the car has. =(

Why not fix your original one?

There are ones out there that plug into your lighter socket or an app on your phone but they are no good in tunnels or anywhere satnav doesn't work. the ones on your phone are a distraction. best to sort out your original one. pull it out, get it cleaned up and calibrated and you'll be much happier.

I use a phone app right now as well, it's close enough to keep me in the ballpark.

I planned on replacing the whole gauge cluster. Last year I considered trying to get it fixed but kept getting mixed opinions about whether or not it can be calibrated. Some say it could, others say those speedometers can't be calibrated.

As long as you have the right speedo gear drive to suit your tire size and diff ratios, you will be pretty close.
It's pretty simple to remove the dash cluster. once it's all out its easy to pull it all apart. new circuit boards, globes etc are all available new.
Once you have it out, it's easier to bench test each gauge and make a plan from there.

If you're asking about an actual in dash gps speedo, I'm running an autometer #3982 I'm happy with. The phone apps etc are hit and miss for sure.
The autometer one I run has a wired sending unit that ends with a small sensor, about the size of a couple quarters stacked. It's magnetized, I stuck it to the dash. Even entirely under the cloth dash cover it picks up signal and reads accurate. In longer tunnels and some really enclosed/underground parking garages it will lose signal, but it comes back almost instantly when the car gets close to the sky/open air. Simple install, effectively just an accurate speedo that I can swap rear gears and tire sizes without any hassles. I'd buy it over a mechanical one again in a blink.

Last edited:
I'm using a SpeedHut unit. It works great, 0-60 and 1/4 mile feature works great too. No worries with gear changes or tire sizing.

I'm using a SpeedHut unit. It works great, 0-60 and 1/4 mile feature works great too. No worries with gear changes or tire sizing.
Thats a really cool setup, didn't know about the speed hut setups. Wish I had, they have some very cool features.

It definitely neatens things up,now I've got a stack of speedo pinions to sort through. and no cable or housing leaks (you can replace the housing with a freeze plug).

I've got the auto meter. Works great. Always accurate regardless of gear or tire.

-
Back