Grease?

-

Mojoe9955

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding my front end and I usually grease everything after it's all together. I've probably done a dozen or so of these things like this. While having breakfast this morning. I thought why not grease all the compents before and during assembly? Does this make sense, sound easier, cleaner?

No advantage to over greasing, unless you like to see clumps of grease allover.
Your goal is to grease any metal to metal contact points with enough to keep out the water and dirt.
What I do is, Grease all the zirc fittings after assembly, filling the boots then wipe off the excess.

No advantage to over greasing, unless you like to see clumps of grease allover.
Your goal is to grease any metal to metal contact points with enough to keep out the water and dirt.
What I do is, Grease all the zirc fittings after assembly, filling the boots then wipe off the excess.

I usually do it like that but, sometimes you can't see where it's coming out until there is a big clump that is hard to clean up. Any excess that is missed attracts dust and dirt...dirty grease is not our friend ☠️

Last edited:
I usually do it like that but, sometimes you can't see where it's coming out until there is a big clump that is hard to clean up. An excess that is missed attracts dust and dirt...dirty grease is not our friend ☠️
Can’t argue with you there MoeJoe

Btw. Sometimes the zirc fittings ball sticks open and the grease bleeds out under pressure.
Just tap the zirc, head on with a light hammer tap, that usually stops it.

This is a little off topic but important to remember with regards to grease in general.
Over greasing is only a problem when it comes to bearings as it will churn and heat up. Depending on the melting point of the grease used, the oil in the grease will separate and you are left with waxy soap. For this reason melting point is an important characteristic when choosing grease...think of brake caliper pin lubrication.
Grease is made of a soap (animal or vegetable fat and an alkali) which acts as the thickening medium to which petroleum oil or synthetic oil is added. Synthetic thickeners are sometimes used in lieu of the fats. Loose the oil and all you are left with is soap. There are additives and fillers also used (graphite for example).

This is a little off topic but important to remember with regards to grease in general.
Over greasing is only a problem when it comes to bearings as it will churn and heat up. Depending on the melting point of the grease used, the oil in the grease will separate and you are left with waxy soap. For this reason melting point is an important characteristic when choosing grease...think of brake caliper pin lubrication.
Grease is made of a soap (animal or vegetable fat and an alkali) which acts as the thickening medium to which petroleum oil or synthetic oil is added. Synthetic thickeners are sometimes used in lieu of the fats. Loose the oil and all you are left with is soap. There are additives and fillers also used (graphite for example).

One more reason I like moly grease which is pretty easy to find now, it has molybdenum sulfide powder mixed in which embeds itself into the metal surfaces and retains some lubricity even if the grease dries up or overheats. It's just a damn good lubricant overall even some motor oils have it now. The Joe Gibbs Driven engine assembly grease I use also has moly in it.

-
Back