Great, I'm f*cked...Threw a rod...(bearing)

-

mopardude318

Reaction score
Just what in the HELL I needed...My damn 93 toyota celica, daily driver, (only DAMN car I have) throws a rod on me at 165,000 miles....Just what in the hell am I supposed to do??? I don't know.....man, just damn, I'm f*cked...literally f*cked...I need, NEED this car for work and I'm just screwed...What the hell am I supposed to do now????

bummer dude, how close are one of your mopars to running and driving....may make more sense to finish one of them than to dunk money into that dang toyota.

or, pick yourself up a cheap DD....or maybe someone here at fabo close by has a extra car they would give ya cheap on payments.

I know how you feel though, my truck has a blown engine and the duster still needs a ton and I have NO money......I just try to make enough sticker sales to scrape by from month to month to keep food on the table and roof over my family's head.

could be worse for ya though.....hope you get something figured out buddy.

good luck

Go buy a used engine and slap that puppy in over the weekend. Those engines use to be really cheap around 350 to 600 complete!

bummer dude, how close are one of your mopars to running and driving....may make more sense to finish one of them than to dunk money into that dang toyota.

or, pick yourself up a cheap DD....or maybe someone here at fabo close by has a extra car they would give ya cheap on payments.

I know how you feel though, my truck has a blown engine and the duster still needs a ton and I have NO money......I just try to make enough sticker sales to scrape by from month to month to keep food on the table and roof over my family's head.

could be worse for ya though.....hope you get something figured out buddy.

good luck

Man, neither of my mopars will be ready to drive...not for a while...and, this WAS my cheap daily driver....I picked it up for 500 bucks 6 months ago, put 11,000 miles on it...I just really need this car for work as I commute 30 miles each way...only source of transportation...

Go buy a used engine and slap that puppy in over the weekend. Those engines use to be really cheap around 350 to 600 complete!

where would i get one? ive been to a few pick n pulls, and every celica I find, the engine is missing in action...

well....for $500.00 and then picking an engine up for around 400 or 500 .....1,000 total still makes for a cheap DD I guess.

here in MI I bet it would be pretty easy to find one of those engines ,but where you are I am not so sure about.

hope you find one and for cheap if that is the route you decide to go.

Man, neither of my mopars will be ready to drive...not for a while...and, this WAS my cheap daily driver....I picked it up for 500 bucks 6 months ago, put 11,000 miles on it...I just really need this car for work as I commute 30 miles each way...only source of transportation...

where would i get one? ive been to a few pick n pulls, and every celica I find, the engine is missing in action...

I'm sure the engine came in more than just the Celica.

Get you a 5-$600 beater, drive it until you get your toyota fixed then sell the beater for $700.....

Get you a 5-$600 beater, drive it until you get your toyota fixed then sell the beater for $700.....

It's really hard to find even a beater for that cheap in California, at least down south. A running beater around here runs closer to $2K.

It's really hard to find even a beater for that cheap in California, at least down south. A running beater around here runs closer to $2K.[/QUOTE

No joke, I lived in San Jose and I think the last time I was able to find a beater that cheap was back in the late 90's!

It's really hard to find even a beater for that cheap in California, at least down south. A running beater around here runs closer to $2K.

wow $2000 for a beater?
the starting bid at auction is only $200 around here

wow $2000 for a beater?
the starting bid at auction is only $200 around here
damn dude, how much do mopars go for there?
Its like 600$ for a beater here that'll work.

Put up a want ad on CL for a used engine or go and find a used auto part place, probably not many in Cali cuz they probably ain't fond of people who strip a car of every usable part and then crush the remainder as they get time.

You guys are gettin' hosed on beaters out in cali...
Ok-- Plan B, find a hard up krack head with a car needin' uh fix, don't tell me theres no krack heads in cali...

yea, i was lucky to find this car when i did....cheap beater cars, are well...not so cheap, or available...here it is, 1230 in the AM, my tools are out, gonna pull the oil pan....first I gotta remove the under car plastic shield, then the engine crossmember, then the chassis crossmember, then unhook the exhaust, move it out of the way, support the engine and tranny, then finally remove the oil pan....omg...while i was carrying my tool chest out, it breaks to pieces, all my sockets, wrenches, tools roll down the driveway, finally after 45 minutes got them somewhat sorted and put back into place...might be a long night, dont want to do this...im tired, must sleep, need to keep going..:(

2uzqlco.jpg

Best of luck man. I hope you get it fixed quickly and cheaply. Try putting up a craigslist ad, maybe you will have some luck and someone will have one they wanna get rid of.

well, 2 hours later, here I am...2:00 in the morning, finally got all the stuff out of the way so I can drop the oil pan...Drained it first, and what do I see? Shiny metallic oil glimmer in the light, definitely bearing material...

...Off to pull the pan...

Sorry to hear James,by the looks of things your getting it done.Hope you find a new/used engine.You,ll have to sit back and figure which is cheaper/quicker to fix first...the Toyota or the 318 in the Cuda.Good luck.

Man, I wish you were on this side of the country.
I would loan you 1 of my cars to get you by.
Aside from that is there anything else I can do to help out?
Maybe Pay-Pal a couple a bucks your way?

Let me/us know.

Later,
Bruce B.

PS: A buddy of mine just bought a motor for his Honda on ebay for like $600.00 delivered.
Is a place in NY/NJ that sells Japenese pulls real cheap.
I guess they have to pull their motors at 25,000 miles or so by law there so this guy buys them and sells them here.

Dude that sucks!

Used motor would be the ticket. Good luck and don't lose your head... you know what I mean.

Man, I wish you were on this side of the country.
I would loan you 1 of my cars to get you by.
Aside from that is there anything else I can do to help out?
Maybe Pay-Pal a couple a bucks your way?

Let me/us know.

Later,
Bruce B.

PS: A buddy of mine just bought a motor for his Honda on ebay for like $600.00 delivered.
Is a place in NY/NJ that sells Japenese pulls real cheap.
I guess they have to pull their motors at 25,000 miles or so by law there so this guy buys them and sells them here.

Bruce, that is mighty fine of you to offer these things to me, I greatly appreciate it, but I cannot accept money from you, or anyone else...I will manage and work my way through this situation. (adapt, improvise, and overcome, gotta roll with it, LOL) I am working all through the night to get this thing apart (working under the car supported on jackstands, layin on my back lol...)

My brother was telling me about those japanese pull engines, with 25K miles for around 5-600 bucks...Pretty cool, but I think I MIGHT be able to get away with just new rod bearings if I didn't score the crank...

Well, here's where I'm at, 3:30 am, still going...Got the pan pulled FINALLY! Man it was stuck on there good.

Here's some pics. lol
Getting stuuf out of the way..

2lvfjfs.jpg

Access to the pan.

10y00oo.jpg

Pan is now off...

dm4q49.jpg

Now you can see the carnage, the rod on the far right is toast, all burnt up and discolored...

2hq54yr.jpg

1124ggy.jpg

2lucsi.jpg

So, to fix this, can't I just slap new rod bearings in it and call it good? LOL....I know I'll have to flush the engine of all the contaminated oil, dunno how really...any thoughts??

I'll pull the cap and see what else I can find, I hope the crank doesn't have to be turned...and my rod cap is salvageable....It's all black though, prolly can't use it again huh?

Ohhhh... so no damage to block?

No damage to the block, no. I caught this early, like a few hours ago...lol. Engine is still warm from running...It made a serious knocking noise, all of a sudden, so I coasted home.

Now this is where I'm at...So by looking at the pics, is my crank and rod trashed because of this? Metal fatigued? Is it now too brittle to use? or weak?

-
Back