Grinding, " diesel " noise under valve covers

-
Just for grins, how about pulling the distributor and pump drive once more and priming the pump with a drill? If the pump is loud, youll hear it. Or you can do it at your friends house. Just to isolate a pump noise. Once the timing cover is off, you should get alot more info.....
Wouldn't I hear that down at the pan?

Had time to get a picture of the passenger side rocker arms

No Sir, took 4 hours to collect materials for a job yesterday, then went in a 10:30, until 7 am. Ripping tile outta a lobby at a pizza place...
That's good! Beats standin in the unemployment line!

Yessir! Or hanging siding on a 2 story w/ crap for ladders! I actually put an add on FB for help on that one.... only 1 guy called. A homeless guy...
Rain all day today Friday. Goona put on my wetsuit today.

Screenshot_20211105-071417_AccuWeather.jpg

Last edited:

I listened again and you guys should too. It's a grinding noise like if a bolt were rubbing on the flywheel or the cam gear. Like I said before, it's a whirring noise. Twice the engine rpm at least. With the cam and slow idle you can damn near hear every cylinder fire. If it was piston slap that would have the same rhythm as the cylinders firing. This noise is double that rhythm.

I listened again and you guys should too. It's a grinding noise like if a bolt were rubbing on the flywheel or the cam gear. Like I said before, it's a whirring noise. Twice the engine rpm at least. With the cam and slow idle you can damn near hear every cylinder fire. If it was piston slap that would have the same rhythm as the cylinders firing. This noise is double that rhythm.
Ok, I completely take your word for it. Yall all know how bad my hearing is. I might be hearing something that ain't even the hell there. I'll listen again really hard and see if I can spot it.

I put those Percy's , ( or who everever boughtthem out) gaskets on it, the aluminum ones.. I played the gasket game when she was in the 66Sat. But it does seem to maybe have a Lil pop there. Collector gaskets just changed. Do
you know of a better gasket? Thanks

Damn ones on there are supposedly leak free and reusable.. not that they have ever been off. Less then a year and 100 miles...

I tried Percy's too. If you do get the Remflex don't over tighten them, it's easy to do. I don't remember if they come with torque specs or not.

Jeff

I researched the heck outta it on here...don't know why I didn't go w/ remflex.. seems the concensus was split, if I recall..

I listened again only this time I played it backward and guess what! Unmistakable

Changed it up a bit.
That was bull **** on your part. Not what you originally posted. You are out of this thread. Politics are not allowed in General forum threads!

Agree with post above: fix the exh leak. Then, might have a chance of hearing the actual noise.

Agree with post above: fix the exh leak. Then, might have a chance of hearing the actual noise.
Right......and see, I'm not hearing an exhaust leak although one (or more) must be there since there's a few references. It's just out of my range in the video.

Have some time.today, as I didn't hit Garlits due to rain. Zip tied a coffee filter to a Dixie cup and dumped contents of oil filter in it.... don't see anything....

-
Back