Grinding, " diesel " noise under valve covers

-
Crap! Still, under both VCs... held a breaker bar to em and mah ear. Nothing I'm gonna get a 3/8 fuel line and try

Tried that. Even pulled breather and dropped hose in. Done seem to be coming from the topend. Seems lower....arrgh

Crap! Still, under both VCs... held a breaker bar to em and mah ear. Nothing I'm gonna get a 3/8 fuel line and try
I've had the best luck using a long 3/8 drive extension as a listening device. Works better than a stethoscope.

Dig that. I'm just concerned that too much advance could cause this? Does sound like p.s. pump. But in both valve covers? Did the washer shim trick. No leaks. But, I HAVE NOT checked the fluid. Car has been parked due to dizzy issues. Just rebuilt front end, so I have to get her to an (Hahaha!) Alignment ( sick joke) shop....built the 340.12 years ago, nothing has changed except the car, ignition,.and the 66 had really loud pipes. So it could have been there all the time. ...
Remove all the belts to eliminate the alternator, water pump and power steering. Check the crank pulley bolts. Check the converter bolts, that the starter is disengaged after firing. Think about everything (area of the engine) one at a time. Isolate, eliminate. Methodically

My pulley set up is kinda Frankensteined, the car aint, but all the parts I've gotten are from here and there. And that's a Blessing! But with the alt belt on, so is the WP.... .and the Original a/c pulleys of a 66 273,. They got more shake and jive than a small town hustler. Well, not really. But they have run out. They were sparking when I first built it. Self clearanced. Converter and flex both got blue locktite and a TQ wrench .hell, I put that thing on anything I can. I may wait till the morning, when I can see...

I can hear what I think it is your video depicts. I’m gonna put my chips on “fuel pump”. Final answer:drama:

Probably the "bingo" right there, converter to flex plate bolt head(s) hitting the dust cover..
All.of a sudden? After 12 years? Or maybe I never noticed it. I may be chasing ghosts. I seem to remember some.noise, but that was after the RE dizzy... am I freaking out over nothing? Or did timing wipe my bottom end?

Last edited:
That's not as a horrible grinding as you may think! You need to pull the covers to confirm!

I just went through this year. Sounds can trick you a bit. When in the driver seat it sounded to the right, I was ultimately very wrong. I also perceived a bad scraping noises.

It was the driver side and one PR pushed trough the #1 exhaust rocker and one missing PR to #1 intake! It Sounds very familiar to my issue!

I was very Fortunate and the missing PR was easily retrieved from the valley.

Cost me 2 rockers, one intake and one exhaust and a set of PR's + cover gaskets! Could have been much worse!

Also a new shorter bolt to replace the one longer of three short rocker bolts!

The first above #1 was bottomed and not at all confidant the rocker was flush to the pads!

Don't panic yet! I believe the Bolt above the end at #1 rocker was too long and was having some high RPM flex there!

IMG_2914.JPG

IMG_2907.JPG

IMG_2908.JPG

That's not as a horrible grinding as you may think! You need to pull the covers to confirm!

I just went through this year. Sounds can trick you a bit. When in the driver seat it sounded to the right, I was ultimately very wrong. I also perceived a bad scraping noises.

It was the driver side and one PR pushed trough the #1 exhaust rocker and one missing PR to #1 intake! It Sounds very familiar to my issue!

I was very Fortunate and the missing PR was easily retrieved from the valley.

Cost me 2 rockers, one intake and one exhaust and a set of PR's + cover gaskets! Could have been much worse!

Also a new shorter bolt to replace the one longer of three short rocker bolts!

The first above #1 was bottomed and not at all confidant the rocker was flush to the pads!

Don't panic yet! I believe the Bolt above the end at #1 rocker was too long and was having some high RPM flex there!View attachment 1715809642

View attachment 1715809640

View attachment 1715809641
Ouch... just a Lil. Lol. I'd have been happy to find that in your case, I guess!. Not to long after ai but the sat legal and was daily driving her, w 4:10s, summer and winter in Tampa ( had to add a choke for the lol cold front, had one of the lifters that came w/ the mp 484 crap out. Replaced w/ a Napa one. will rip em off there in the am, I can prolly see better then, for inspection

Last edited:
I hope your issue was as simple as mine! I freaked and the car sat all late spring and summer, I truly miss my drive time and pushing to make up for it!

I was able to locate the missing Piece of rocker and all good! 500+ miles since!

IMG_2963.JPG

Last edited:
I hope your issue was as simple as mine! I freaked and the car sat all late spring and summer, I truly miss my drive time and pushing to make up for it!

I was able to locate the missing Piece of rocker and all good! 500+ miles since!

View attachment 1715809656
Reds been sitting for about 4 months.... did the front end, than found the dizzy issue

If not mentioned already you could dissect the oil filter and check for metal, no need to drain the oil and save the dollars.

-
Back