Grinding, " diesel " noise under valve covers

-
Well then! That might be your problem. .0015" seems like a bind to me in that situation, especially once things get warm and grow a bit...

Take the hold down washers (ie. spacers) out and hit them with a file or grinder about a 10 thou a side. you just want to basically show some new metal on them. This will relieve the rockers from each other and give you some peace of mind. Are the 2 and 4 washers stock? They look a little off to me as well as #3. I just never seen them that shiny.
20211106_154141.jpg

I was just checking a head with rockers on the bench. You can move the rockers side to side an 1/8 inch with no push rods and pressure on them. They may be no space between the rockers but they are just floating on the shaft and against each other but there's no pressure there pushing them together, when running they are coated with oil.

look at middle hold down clearance on this X head....daylight. Could those be B/RB rocker arms? I'm not sure they would even fit but if he has stock LA hold downs and LA rockers, there should be ample clearance.
20160508_105904-jpg.jpg

look at middle hold down clearance on this X head....daylight. Could those be B/RB rocker arms? I'm not sure they would even fit but if he has stock LA hold downs and LA rockers, there should be ample clearance.
View attachment 1715816381
They are Mopar Performance Heavy Duty Rockers, bought em new when I screwed her together. Shafts were stock replacement from Advance. Thoroughly cleaned of crap... sent one back for burrs in oil holes

Is it possible you put all the "left" rockers on one side/shaft, and the "right" rockers one the other.
Something is wacky in the pix. .
Doubt it. Used a book... and the clearances for the pushrods would not allow it, at least in my observation. Now. I caint remember where I scored the spacers at...doubt I bought aftermarket, but maybe ... got some stuff from Mancini..or I coulda pulled em off a 318 I had making around..

I listened again and you guys should too. It's a grinding noise like if a bolt were rubbing on the flywheel or the cam gear. Like I said before, it's a whirring noise. Twice the engine rpm at least. With the cam and slow idle you can damn near hear every cylinder fire. If it was piston slap that would have the same rhythm as the cylinders firing. This noise is double that rhythm.
It's loudest w/ a stethoscope on the valve covers and kinda loud on the shaft.. sounds just like a good ol Cummings! But, I caint hear it with the rocker box off, like you can a clatter/ clickn crap loose valve train

I was just checking a head with rockers on the bench. You can move the rockers side to side an 1/8 inch with no push rods and pressure on them. They may be no space between the rockers but they are just floating on the shaft and against each other but there's no pressure there pushing them together, when running they are coated with oil.
I can move one or them laterally, very minutely, sometimes, but.not all of em.

Last edited:
Take the hold down washers (ie. spacers) out and hit them with a file or grinder about a 10 thou a side. you just want to basically show some new metal on them. This will relieve the rockers from each other and give you some peace of mind. Are the 2 and 4 washers stock? They look a little off to me as well as #3. I just never seen them that shiny.
View attachment 1715816379
Yessir! The hold downs are stock type. Ain't sure where I got em. ( factory, aftermarket, Mancini?) So, for clarification, you are recommending 20 thou between rockers?

well, yeah. solid rockers (mechanical) call out a .015 clearance for oil control...sounds good to me! The pic i posted of that X head shows much more than .015 at the middle spacer, even Crane gold rockers show visible clearance between each hold down. The stamped rockers don't even have a defined planar edge to them, they are just stamped so they would not interface well with each other of there was no clearance. Take your hold downs out and relieve the sides a few thou so as to get some daylight between those rockers. The pushrod is going to bias the rocker one way or another under load, let it.

>> ....you stated the hold downs have a raised lip on the sides? These are B/RB
?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.forabodiesonly.com%2Fmopar%2Fattachments%2Fdscf0096-jpg.jpg

These are LAs from MP. No lip and may be more narrow than B's.
?u=https%3A%2F%2Fs3.amazonaws.com%2Fgearbox-yearone-com%2Fpart-images%2Fp%2Fp5249712.png

I hope it Is! I just don't remember it happening before.. I've been working nights, and having issues accessing the " Corporate " approved materials. So that has my sleep schedule jacked up. And, my Gal, is in the Hospital, again. So I haven't had a chance to run her...Much Appreciated to hear Your Response!!!!!!! Thank You! Copper and AL in my oil filter , scares me. I'm wondering if I have a bearing issue (and that's not easily addressed, in my World)

Nah, Brother, No Way on that!!!!!!! Now about the Lil bits O' Copper? Ain't that inner bearing material? Or am I still wacked? I don't think that's related, but I'm a lifetime Carpenter, not a Lifetime Pro Mechanic

-
Back