GT Suspension

-
Not saying specifically for racing .. just driving on the road ... I have a 340 , 4 speed ... manual brakes... manual steering car ... it is a hell of a work out to drive with 300 HP ... now upgrading to a 600 HP motor... I think it will be ALOT better with the GERST suspension ....

Not saying specifically for racing .. just driving on the road ... I have a 340 , 4 speed ... manual brakes... manual steering car ... it is a hell of a work out to drive with 300 HP ... now upgrading to a 600 HP motor... I think it will be ALOT better with the GERST suspension ....
Well with manual steering and brakes, and 600 hp you definitely need to upgrade!

I don't know.. I was able to get 285s up front with my GTS kit, no fender rolling. I couldn't do that with my stock suspension. It's nice having all the room in the world for my big block with modern steering and big nasty brakes. I wanted to make the stock stuff work I really did but it was an uphill battle. I can't wait to finish my rear suspension and get some track time in.

20160827_182109.jpg

I was going to start on it but I got some kind of infection and a hip problem.This is really teeing me off

Sorry for taking so long.I have spinal stanosis,L4 L5 are smushed,and I'm hurting from around the top of my left leg buttox,and down the left side.I've been in physical therapy I was walking good today and the pain was down so I decide to weed eat and now I'm hurting all over again.I took a pic b4 I closed the shop door.

20170420_141547.jpg

NO, not at all, I raced for many years competitively, with both mopar and gm products, and I can tell you that the fastest mopars out there, are on torsion bars/leaf springs. Do a little research. These conversion front ends developed because of clearance issues, none of them have ever been marketed to improve cornering ability, because they dont.

Who said I was going around corners.

Nobody I'm aware of. I think you just said you were going to be improving your handling by installing the kit, so it might have gotten misconstrued. Pretty obvious your car is set up for going straight! And your handling probably will be better than it was, but it won't be any better than it could have been. Springs are springs, shocks are shocks. Tuned properly the old stuff could have worked just as well. Except for the steering box maybe, the feel of rack and pinion and worm and ball is just different. But rack and pinion doesn't steer the car any better, just feels different.

Full conversions definitely have their place, but I think if most people spent half the time and money sorting out their torsion bar suspensions as they do on their conversions, they wouldn't do the conversion.

An older company that QA1 bought

CAP? I hope you tell anyone you sell those UCA's to that they were made by CAP. That stuff is junk. The welds are a total crap shoot. I had a weld fail on one of the LCA's I bought from them.

Well with manual steering and brakes, and 600 hp you definitely need to upgrade!

Why? Power steering and power brakes don't make your car steer or stop better. They make it easier, that's all. But with the right m/c on an A-body you really don't need power brakes. Even manual steering effort depends on the ratio of the box, how wide the tires are, and your alignment. Lots of variables. It's not like he's installing traction control or suspension controlled by an ECU.

I don't know.. I was able to get 285s up front with my GTS kit, no fender rolling. I couldn't do that with my stock suspension. It's nice having all the room in the world for my big block with modern steering and big nasty brakes. I wanted to make the stock stuff work I really did but it was an uphill battle. I can't wait to finish my rear suspension and get some track time in.

View attachment 1715024069

The GTS kit didn't change the size of your wheel wells or fender openings. Could have fit the same exact tires on your car with torsion bars if you had gotten the backspacing correct for your suspension combination. You would have probably needed tubular UCA's to clear the rims, but after that the only limits are the frame and the fenders. And you didn't move those.

I think I'm gonna start arguing with people doing things I don't like.Most of it will be why is everyone else car so slow

I think I'm gonna start arguing with people doing things I don't like.Most of it will be why is everyone else car so slow
Biggest thing to remember, it's your car, your money your time, just smile and wave as you pass them

Most people feel they HAVE to tell you there opinion wanted or not and side track the post, all you want to do is show people what you are doing with YOU'RE car if they don't like it tuff **** to them.

Jeff

Who's arguing? I didn't bash your decision or your car. I think you've got a beautiful car actually, and that's saying something because I'm not a drag race set up kind of guy.

Nothing I said was meant to be an argument. Based on the stuff you pulled off you were well on your way to a decent torsion bar set up and could have achieved most of what you probably wanted for less than half the price of the GTS, but if that's what you want it's your car and your money. You want to put coilovers on your car, awesome. And I'm absolutely positive your car is a heck of a lot faster than my car is in a straight line, there's no debate there at all.

I just hate seeing the same BS about coilovers repeated over and over again. Better geometry, better handling, more "modern", etc, etc. None of that is true. If you wanted rack and pinion steering and more room for headers, awesome, say that. If you wanted to knock a few pounds off the front end, great, say that. Good enough for me, and those things are absolutely true. But the rest of the stuff simply isn't. It's not any better or worse, it's just different.

Sorry if you took what I said as derailing your thread, I just wanted to point out some things that had been said that aren't accurate. Good luck with the rest of your installation, hopefully you get the old girl back on the road soon.

I just hate seeing the same BS about coilovers repeated over and over again. Better geometry, better handling, more "modern", etc, etc. None of that is true. If you wanted rack and pinion steering and more room for headers, awesome, say that. If you wanted to knock a few pounds off the front end, great, say that. Good enough for me, and those things are absolutely true. But the rest of the stuff simply isn't. It's not any better or worse, it's just different.

i think it would be much easier to just start a thread with everything you typed here and when any aftermarket front end posts come up. then you can just post a link to the thread instead of having to type all that crap out every time..:)

72bluNblu you should put 285s up front on your car then unless you've already rolled the fenders to get those 275s you have up front? :steering:

I have to cut the fuel line to remove it .It travels through the frame.The fittings won't fit through the hole.Pumped all the fuel out of the tank and am waiting for the line to dry out.Its too hot for me .I'll do someore later.My health is bad .Getting g up and downot is Har on me also.Its a easy job though.Directions are easily understood and have pictures!!!!
20170812_095447.jpg
20170812_113217.jpg
20170812_125830.jpg
20170812_125508.jpg
20170812_125828.jpg

My health is crap too, I have to take things slow myself, take you're time it will all come together.

Jeff

I'll take a pic in the morning.I cut the fuel line and got it out of the frame and bolted the K frame in.I have electrical problems in the shop so had to use the generator for light so if I took a pic it would be kinda dark

-
Back