Guys, I think my hood is flying!

-

cruiser

Reaction score
Gentlemen: This is a new one for me. When I'm at 70 mph in my 74 Duster, the left front corner of my hood lifts up by about 1 inch and shakes slightly. The right front corner of the hood is in its fully down position and rock steady (no shaking). Ideally, both front corners should stay down and not shake. As I decelerate through 45 mph, the hood goes back down and stops shaking. When stopped, the hood looks perfectly adjusted and doesn't stick up anywhere. Is it possible that the hood is creating "lift" like an airplane wing and pulling up as I go faster? When the hood is closed, it appears to be resting on top of the rubber vertically adjustable bumper. Any ideas for fixing this problem? Thanks.

I don't know the condition of your car, but I would check that side hood for a structural weakness.

If the hood is not cracked or warped, I'd say it's out of adjustment. You want to have the corner down hard on the rubber bumper, but, at the correct height too. How does the side and rear gaps around the hood look? Are the hinges in good shape and working smoothly?

My vote is cracked ribs or the adhesive is no longer adhering the panel to the ribs.

You could simulate the effect and look for deflection

You probably need hood adjuster bump stops ..or them to be adjusted right so that there is some tension of the hood against the bump stops

If the hood is not cracked or warped, I'd say it's out of adjustment. You want to have the corner down hard on the rubber bumper, but, at the correct height too. How does the side and rear gaps around the hood look? Are the hinges in good shape and working smoothly?
Yeah, checked that stuff. Gap is good and even all the way around. Hinges are fine, too. I'm puzzled.

I bet if you grab the left and right side of the hood from the front you can twist it too easily

I bet if you grab the left and right side of the hood from the front you can twist it too easily
Just tried it and it seems really solid. The hood skin is definitely bonded to the hood frame - no problem there. I'm thinking that perhaps the left side of the hood needs to be more firmly closed down onto the vertical screw adjuster. It looks perfect sitting in the driveway, but starts to fly at 45 mph, as I mentioned. Perhaps I could adjust the hood latch further down vertically, then move the left vertical adjuster higher. This may more firmly trap the hood against the vertical rubber bumper.

Remove the hood latch then adjust the hood bumpers so the hood sits flush. Re-install the hood latch and adjust so there is slight tension and pulls the corners tight on the bumpers.
Worn hinges will usually cause the rear of the hood to lift, not the front.

Gentlemen: This is a new one for me. When I'm at 70 mph in my 74 Duster, the left front corner of my hood lifts up by about 1 inch and shakes slightly. The right front corner of the hood is in its fully down position and rock steady (no shaking). Ideally, both front corners should stay down and not shake. As I decelerate through 45 mph, the hood goes back down and stops shaking. When stopped, the hood looks perfectly adjusted and doesn't stick up anywhere. Is it possible that the hood is creating "lift" like an airplane wing and pulling up as I go faster? When the hood is closed, it appears to be resting on top of the rubber vertically adjustable bumper. Any ideas for fixing this problem? Thanks.

Air pressure under the hood /in engine bay, u must have a weak spring or something worn . Might try taking the rear cowl seal off to relieve the pressure some -------??

Put a decal on it. You seem to be the expert in that area. Or so you seem to tell us. Problem solved. :poke:

Move your latch down. My Ragtop was doing that. As said make sure your left ane right bumpers are set properly. I have to almost slam my hood closed. I could probably raise it a hair but I'm not slamming hard. You can raise your bumper so your hood is a midge high ,then adjust down to proper height,then adjust latch down more if needed.

When at rest, can you push the passenger side down or is it firmly on the height stop bumper?

Do you have the hood seal that seals to the radiator support?

-
Back