Guys that run the Fram HPG1 style filter for fuel ?

-

moparlee

64 Valiant
Reaction score
Is there different types of filter elements that fit these, like say a screen type?

Also how many people run this before the Holley Blue pump pump?

Thanks in advance.

Lee

hpg1.jpg

Normally you would have this after the pump to stop all particals from the tank and the pump from going any further.Now you can have a smaller filter before the pump to stop anything from getting to the pump to damage it too,Mrmopartech

I run mine before the pump and I have found only the disposable paper filter for them. The reason I run mine before the pump is it is one less thing to worry about being pressurized by the pump that could leak and it filters the whole fuel system with one filter. The only items in my car that are pressurized are steel braided line and fittings. No gaskets to fail or leak. I have seen to many filters on the pressure side of the fuel system leak and cause guys trouble. Basically I treat my fuel system like a hydraulic system and the fluid is filtered before it passes thru anything.

I run mine before the pump. I've only been able to find the paper filters and have had no problems. Ever look in your tank when it's empty or near empty? You'd be suprised how much dust gets into the tank. (At least here in Arizona) I certainly don't want that entering the fuel pump! I drain and clean my tank a couple a times a year just to be safe. I change the filter a couple times as well. I also run a Holley Blue. Mine is only a race car though and It doesn't see the wear and tear the street cars get.

Thanks guys I appreciate the feed back. I'm probably going to run it before the pump. A lot of guys on moparts said the samething. One guy said that since the pump has pressure that he would hate to force the parts of the paper filter into the carbs if it was to come apart. I've never heard of that, but it something to think about.

Sixpackgut on moparts I do believe that he runs two, one in front and one after, not sure on that. Other than I do have a picture of his car with one under the hood. So......................I think that it just preference. Holley site says to run two, one screen type before the pump and a filter after. That's why I was asking if anybody has run a different filter inside this canister.

Thanks again guys for your time.

Lee

If you are going to run 2 filters look for the most gph you can afford before the pump.Electric fuel pump is designed to push not suck you want the least amount of restriction on the suck side.Their are better filters than that fram back in the day thats all we had .Try ebay type in race fuel filters some nice ones listed cheaper also screen type like you been asking about.Just giving you more options do all the research youcan before you committ.

Moparlee the element coming apart is another reason I put it before the pump. I have not seen a fuel filter come apart but I have seen two motors ruined because the fram oil filter paper ended up in the pan plugging the pick up screen. This is why I will never, ever use a fram oil filter.

Chuck

I run a Mallory one like that before the pump then up by the carb I have a high flow sintered bronze in line filter up by the carb.

i have the same type of fuel filter that i am about to put in before my holley pump. amen to no fram oil filters, wix or k&n only.

Thanks guys. I couldn't talk you out of some pictures of the filter by the engine could I?

Lee

Here are the ones I use up by the carb...they are Jaz brand. The blue one is for the carb and the red one is for the fuel solenoid on the nitrous kit:

Engine9.jpg

WOW, that's a lot of fuel lines....LOL

I run a Fram inline off the shelf filter before my Carter, then another see-through filter before my regulator in the engine compartment. Yes, I know it's not race legal, but it's a street car.

One more question. I've thought that I heard that you could run compression fittings from 1/2 alluminum line to breaded is this true? Do you have to flare it or no? Thanks again for the help.

Lee

They should....I use them to connect to my SS trans cooler lines too. You are running a carb or 3 IIRC so you won't be going over 15psi so they should be fine. I know of guys that plumbed their entire fuel system with them.

That's what I'm after, I would like to get rid of all the rubber lines I can and use braded lines and the 1/2 aluminum fuel line from the tank to the carb.

Ok which fittings do I need with a flare. My sending unit coming out of the tank has a flare.

Lee

Your using the stock sending unit? If so I hope the straw is bigger than 5/16. The easiest way I have found to use the stock sender/pick-up is to cut off the "nipple" and the straw. Drill a 3/8" or 1/2" hole where that used to be and use a piece of 3/8" or 1/2" SS tubing and bend up a new pick-up tube then braze it to the sender. Then you can use one of the hard-tube adaptors or just a regular compression fitting to attatch it to the new aluminum fuel line.

How much of the tube is left if you'd cut the flare off? There might be enough to slide the ferrule on and tighten it up. Ther ferrule is about 1/2 wide. NHRA says you can have 12" max of rubber fuel line so you could flare the end of the aluminum line and use a short piece of rubber hose to connect the two.

-
Back