Hand truck. What do you have and do you like it?

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Want to replace my POS hand truck. Flat free tires and tire guards are a must. What do you have and are you happy with it?

I got one from Lowe's it's one of the heavy duty ones has the wheels on both ends so that you can lay it flat and still roll it. It has been a back saver! I will look online and see I can find a link to the one I have

Want to replace my POS hand truck. Flat free tires and tire guards are a must. What do you have and are you happy with it?
I have one I got from costco. Like previous post it can lay flat and roll with four wheels if necessary. Made from mostly aluminum so it's relatively light, and won't rust. It has big tires, rolls well, but I don't know if they are flat free. It's a little bulkier than some, but seems pretty well-made. I think it was like $80, a little spendy but after using it a few times, I don't mind.

I don't mind cost. When I look for tools and equipment, I don't look for deals, so price isn't really a factor. I was lookin at one on the Loews web site that was 139 dollars. It seemed to fit the description of being able to be used as a cart as well.

I like my dolly to have the little kick rails leading into the tires. Kind of like what the appliance dollies have. That way in case I encounter a stair with something it doesn't let the wheels hooked on the backside of the step and make it harder to pull up.

Look for a aluminum appliance handtruck on clist or even FB marketplace.... It won't have the tire guards but it is more versatile for the shop than any other handtruck. Otherwise I would get one that opens out into a 4 wheel cart. I have them both in aluminum and both are extremely handy....

JW

Magliner brand, but they are EXPEN$IVE.

I much prefer a "D" handle design as you can "one hand" the two wheeler, including tight turns and use the other to steady the load if necessary and during sliding the nose under and out from the load.

I do not care for the fold able models because of exactly the opposite issue, they are a back killer because you are bending to load them and bending to unload them.
You are losing the leverage power of the hand truck by not utilizing the nose to slide under the cargo.

Operating a hand truck/ two-wheeler is somewhat of an art.
"acquiring" the load and "discharging" it without toppling can be difficult to master for some.
Timing "the lean", and the foot are key.
Same goes for one handed operation.

In my late teens, I worked over-night stock at a small chain grocery store.
We had many unsanctioned contests utilizing the two-wheeler.
I was tied with one other employee for all time heavy load at 600 pounds of sugar/flour

...and be careful with respect to flat free tires, they are not all equal.

We have one at work that has terrible mold parting and thumps heavily.

My personal model is the former $29 HF unit (now $39).

It has also been converted into a transformable yard cart to be pulled behind my riding mower.

It has held up very well for over 14 years, but the pneumatic tires are a weak point.
I have to add air nearly every time I use it.
Flat free upgrade is on my list, but it's easy to spend more than a new cart on a pair of decent tires.

I've got an old hand truck from UPS. Solid rubber tires. I have abused it well for the last 20 years. I don't think I could break it if I wanted to.

I use one that has little tracks on the back of it for going up and down stairs, it's gold when you need it..

Here is mine it's an older one but works good. Like I said it came from lowes I don't remember the name brand. It even extends to make it longer. Iv had it for a long time.

20181019_181414.jpg

20181019_181408.jpg

20181019_181340.jpg

20181019_181337.jpg

I have one I got from costco. Like previous post it can lay flat and roll with four wheels if necessary. Made from mostly aluminum so it's relatively light, and won't rust. It has big tires, rolls well, but I don't know if they are flat free. It's a little bulkier than some, but seems pretty well-made. I think it was like $80, a little spendy but after using it a few times, I don't mind.
as a follow up on mine, it is a COSCO brand, which I bought at costco. Model 12-326 ASB, "3-in-one", if you want to look it up online.
Costco Members: Cosco 3-in-1 Alum. Hand Truck $80 at Costco.
PS. mine is just a little different than the one in the link. It doesn't have the individual handles like the one in the pic. Mine has the so-called "D-style" handle, which I prefer.
PPS: I think it does have never flat tires.

Last edited:
-
Back