Hanging rear quarter panel to roof belt trim moulding! 1965 Valiant

-

51John

Reaction score
Any thoughts on how to plot new holes for 1/4 to roof belt trim? I can't tell if this Valiant had the trim and the holes were filled or if it came without the moulding...In preparation for painting the roof black I want to re-install this moulding. It will hide the paint line nicely... But where does it actually hang? Thanks!
SAM_0538.JPG
SAM_0539.JPG
SAM_0540.JPG

Where ever it fits best is what I say. Build a template out of card board.

Any thoughts on how to plot new holes for 1/4 to roof belt trim? I can't tell if this Valiant had the trim and the holes were filled or if it came without the moulding...In preparation for painting the roof black I want to re-install this moulding. It will hide the paint line nicely... But where does it actually hang? Thanks!View attachment 1715305369 View attachment 1715305370 View attachment 1715305371
Pull back the headliner on the sail panel. There should be some holes that were bondo'd or welded shut. That will be the starting point.
If filled, use a sharp pick to locate holes, then work from outside to minimize damage to paint and filler. Pics are 63 Valiant, but should be similar.
That actually looks like a 66 molding.

DSCN0075.JPG

DSCN0076.JPG

Thanks, Yes I pulled back the headliner and see no evidence of filler, perhaps it never had the trim or did they all come with?

Thanks, Yes I pulled back the headliner and see no evidence of filler, perhaps it never had the trim or did they all come with?
They all came with trim, as that is how they covered the seam between sail panel and 1/4 panel. Like I said that molding appears to be 66
and may not fit your 65 contours. 66 roof is one year only and who ever did the body work on that car buried that seam. You might want to leave
it as it is, because you will probably open a can of worms by trying to put a molding there.

Hmm Thanks. I really want to paint the roof black and hide the paint seam with moulding. Wish I could compare 65/66 moulding.

Hmm Thanks. I really want to paint the roof black and hide the paint seam with moulding. Wish I could compare 65/66 moulding.
Look at pictures on the internet of those years of Valiants and you will see the difference. I look at pics all the time when I have a question
on different years, trim, etc.

Yea I see what you mean about the 66 roof, it has an 'extra' kinda raised panel detail.. This moulding I have looks different from 66..With only one 'bevel' towords the rear window..I dont know!

-
Back