Happy Return to Incandescent

-

dibbons

Reaction score
The two CFL's in my principal living area have both failed. One lit less than half the time and I could never figure out a pattern, it only lit when it wanted to. The "faithful" one quit today and so I was left in the dark.

Took out my flashlight, found the trunk I had stored the old incandescent lamps that were in place before, and joyously screwed them in to find I am not really blind after all. The CFL's had advertising on the box they had a lifetime of either 6 or 8 years. Baloney. Anyone like baloney?

incandescent.jpg

CFL's were just a stepping stone to led's. They were never good in my opinion.

LED's are a buck now at dollar tree. They work great with no CFL flicker or mercury hazmat cleanup. Instant on and dimmable too. I just blew my last CFL in a 4 light track, that was #6 in less than 3 years. LED's all the way. Light is actually too bright now.

Yep, they definitely suck, and boy do they stink when they burn out. First time I had one go bad, I was running around my house trying to figure out what was on fire.

Yep, they definitely suck, and boy do they stink when they burn out. First time I had one go bad, I was running around my house trying to figure out what was on fire.

I never knew that! Thank you!

I dont let em stay in place long enough to do that!

I only have 3 of these LED bulbs in my shop at 16' in the air.

F 'ing GREAT!

feit-electric-led-bulbs-c4000-5k-led-64_1000.jpg

They are about $40.00 each if I remember.

But good until the year 2437!

I never knew that! Thank you!

I dont let em stay in place long enough to do that!

I only have 3 of these LED bulbs in my shop at 16' in the air.

F 'ing GREAT!

View attachment 1715235680

They are about $40.00 each if I remember.

But good until the year 2437!
I started using those to replace ones that burn out in our shop at work. I've done about 5 out of 12 and what a difference.. They have a 600 or 1000 watt version (I don't recall which) for about $80 per bulb.. Just can't justify that..

I much prefer incandescent, and halogens
I agree the cfls never lived up to their reputations.
To me LEDs are bright to look at, but just don't have a penetrating light. So I installed 18 of 'em in GU-10 pot lights in my livingroom ceiling. Now I have
brightness, penetration, long-life and I can't see 'em unless I am directly under one. And all together they draw less than a 100watt bulb....... They used to be 55watt halogens and were great heaters, cuz no matter where I sat there were always about three of them keeping my head warm,lol. Not so good having 990 watts overhead in summer,DOH.
In the dining room I installed 8 pot lights all with Halogens ; one over each place-setting,because they cast a beautiful silvery light on the food in the plate, and make even baloney look good. They are also in the kitchen ceiling.
Incandescent in the bathroom,so I don't kill myself shaving.
Every room has a ceiling fan with incandescent.
And I put the left-over cfls in the basement, which is just a storage cave. The only reason I ever went to the cfls in the first place was because our electric company had a program that paid a huge rebate on them, making it very attractive........... and the quality of the incandescent was rapidly declining. I no longer buy cheap incandescents.

Last edited:
I like LEDs but you have to be careful. HD was selling something? Ecosmart? and I made the mistake of buying the "daylight" bulbs. Some of them were so blue they were beyond annoying. Sort of like trying to see with mercury vapor. After I made certain to ONLY buy "soft white" they are way better.

I use the "100w equivalent" for working, clamp on floods or replace the garage lighting. They work very well

Had a cfl burn up, dont trust them now. I love the led’s i put up in the shop and my small garage.
They are the daylight bulbs, dont care for soft white, cool white is a little better for me.

The problem with CFL's is that the lifespan they say is only if you turn them on and leave them on. They cannot take being
turned on and off constantly. I'm replacing mine with LED as they fail.

Bought one CFL. Didn't like them at all. As my incandescent bulbs burn out, I've been replacing them with LED'S. Much better light in my opinion.

I HATED CFLS and pulled them back out as soon as possible. They were terrible in cold weather, even in the basement, which never gets below 55 or so. You'd go down there to get something "quick" and it would be dim and yellowish/ greenish.

I just can't give up on my incandescent light bulbs. I find the light off of the others to be a PITA. Our eyes are made for yellow light which the incandescents get the closest to. I get them real cheap from AtlantaLightBulbs.com . I bought enough to last the rest of my life.

Jack

The problem with CFL's is that the lifespan they say is only if you turn them on and leave them on. They cannot take being
turned on and off constantly. I'm replacing mine with LED as they fail.
that's what I heard too, so there is one in the basement above the cat's litterbox that has been on for about 4 years now..... so there may be something to that. So far that dang cat has cost me ~ $80 just so she can find the dang litter box.

-
Back