Harbor Freight 6000 Lb. Capacity Scissor Lift Review, Central Hydraulics, is it worth it?

-
HF, that's about right. Expect to tweak 'em out of the box...like a set of AL heads.

Nope, Nope and Nope. Reminds me of spinning a dish on a stick

There is a LOT of steel in those things. I don't know if you can do much better than the cost of the HF one once you've got cylinders and pump. I looked at them and the reviews are pretty good. Down side is they are 220V on the pump, and I couldn't get a solid shipping quote from them. I bought a lightly used Challenger MR6 which is made in the USA and am happy with it. But, it is not as easy to move around as you might think. Lot of weight there. I wouldn't be afraid to get the HF version either.

Wish it had a larger footprint
Appears that it could tip on to it's side if pushed, maybe not
Because of this, that I think it is unsafe

Wish it had a larger footprint
Appears that it could tip on to it's side if pushed, maybe not
Because of this, that I think it is unsafe

I won't say it isn't possible to tip it over if the car is properly centered, but you will have to work at it pretty damn hard. Don't knock it until you've tried it. You can also use tall jackstands to support the car or the jack at each end to keep it from rocking.

I have one I bought about 5 years ago from a local vendor...(probably from the same Chinese factory....) 110V, works fine for my Duster....probably be a little sketchy on a 1/2 ton or bigger truck / Suburban... I would definitely want some jack stands under anything large.

I have one of those lifts 110V I bought from a friend who bought it from his friend. Don't know the brand but it was perfect for helping build my Barracuda. It is now being used to build an off road bronco and the guy I loaned it to loves it. It just makes everything easier. It does take some care setting it up properly though but once correct is very stable and safe.

So bolt the flippin thing to the floor. It lies flat when it's down so it'll take up minimal space.

on my opinion...this lift is such it is not truly suitable working UNDER the car except for an oil change. The unit would be good for doing tire changes, rotation, brake jobs etc and right on to including ease of working body repairs on the lower edges. I would think if a concern arose of instability and thinking it could or would tip over...odds are you are overworking the tool to begin with by too large a vehicle or improper positioning of your load. If a phobia exists yet on tipping, one could easily extend the floor patch with outriggers....you just lost portability...but you may could sleep better at night...personally if I did lots of tire and brake work or lower edge body repairs....this would be ideal...I would not see myself raising a car to the max height this is capable of...

Raise the vehicle up with this, install jackstands, lower vehicle onto jackstands. Safety "problem" goes away.

Phobias are good, its like self preservation.
That being said,and as mentioned about proper placement of lift points they are about as safe as a two post lift.
I would make good use of one if i had it. Tires,brakes,front end work and bodywork on lower panels. Handy.

The theory of the lifts are good. As mentioned, they are handy for mid rise jobs like tire, wheel, brake, suspension, and lower body. They are not for tramsmission, drive train, exhaust, and most under car work. For the hobbiest it would probably be ok but as we know Harbor Freight quality is bottom of the barrel. I would trust my life and my car with a better quality mid lift underneath.

my take on most of HF merchandise is that you cannot buy most said tools and turn them over to a group of uncaring not monetary invested shop monkeys....I have seen them drive a spike into an anvil when bored...even the best of tools suffer at the hands of those that do not own and even more, care less to keep them clean and properly maintained...OSHA posted result of lift failure on investigation find they are human error and preventable....regardless of brand...

When I see one of these lifts, it reminds me of my bachelor days when I used an ironing board for a TV stand. My dog&cat finally knocked it over, TV still worked afterwards, but the board broke.... My vote here is no way, even more so that HF made it.

ironing-board-sets-hotel-supplies-558461.jpg

This guy doesn't want you to buy one. He wants to see his grandkids some day.

maxresdefault.jpg

The theory of the lifts are good. As mentioned, they are handy for mid rise jobs like tire, wheel, brake, suspension, and lower body. They are not for tramsmission, drive train, exhaust, and most under car work. For the hobbiest it would probably be ok but as we know Harbor Freight quality is bottom of the barrel. I would trust my life and my car with a better quality mid lift underneath.

Looks like he needs a welding helmet!!???

Ayup, and I'm not going to buy products from a country that makes welding helmets but still can't get this guy one.

yes the guy needs a helmet, no I am sure his local government is not required to buy it for him, and his cut man, he could use a face shield...also probably not supplied by his local government....

-
Back