Harbor Freight steppin' up.

-

pishta

I know I'm right....
Reaction score
My friend from childhood is a store manager for Harbor Freight and we got talking at a party lately. He says their tool line is getting totally revamped, upscaled and the prices are also going to go up. They got an Icon brand tool chest that's $18,000 bucks...I asked how many he's sold, said none. He told me "for 18 grand, I better be able to drive it too". Its a huge tool chest, like 14 feet long? Said its a dead ringer for a Snap On. I hope they keep a disposable "value line" of hand tools too, love them free 6 in 1 screwdrivers. They have come a long way from the absolute crap cast in India wrenches and rough tap and die kits they used to sell.

Icon Tool Storage

cab.jpg

Last edited:
I remember back in the early 80's they were actually a salvage type store, had some quality tools from truck wrecks, train derailments and such, I still have some Proto-challenger ratchets and sockets I bought there and a black &decker drill, then they slowly went to all overseas cheaper tools, I still buy alot of stuff there it's one of my regular stops when I go to Bowling Green.:)

That's what I'd say if I was getting beat to hell by tariffs, too.

If imma buy China trash, imma pay China trash prices. Exactly why I don't buy craftsman anymore.

HF might want to rethink. Their present tools, for the price and what they are, are a good buy especially "to throw in the rig." The BIG hurt they don't do is not selling individual wrenches and sockets.

HF might want to rethink. Their present tools, for the price and what they are, are a good buy especially "to throw in the rig." The BIG hurt they don't do is not selling individual wrenches and sockets.
Individual sockets, like 1 10mm? You can buy a single Craftsman/Kobalt for $3.99, a single HF for $2.99 or a whole set of Pittsburgh deeps for $9. I needed a deep 1/2 and 7/16 for work, ended up buying the HF set for $9. I dont think they do individual wrenches yet.
image_9507.jpg

They use to sell individual sockets.

Decades ago I bought an individual impact socket to make into a O2 sensor remover buy grinding out part of it for the wire. Cost me like $2.

I posted months ago, they are rebranding with several different lines and an increasing price point map.

IIRC they now offer four different "brands" of battery drills and drill accessories.

Three brands of sockets and socket accessories, etc.

K mart went out of business, not a sears in sight

they probably saw a hole in the market they thought could use filling

I bought a HF 4 inch grinder that lasted longer than I expected, though it was kinda crappy, the button apparatus that holds the arbor while you change disks broke right away, but other wise it worked ok until it quit. Way better than the 9.99 junk ones my dad used to buy, They would catch on fire after you used it for 2 minutes. I used the crap out of mine derusting my truck with a big wire brush, several hours on end a couple times.
Anyway I went back to buy another one and saw some really nice looking 60 dollar ones... all sold out. I like their wrenches, sockets, and ratchets. Some of the screwdrivers and pliers look questionable, but they have lots of good stuff. HF seems to be getting better over the years

Orchard supply, who stocked Craftsman closed nearby, did they go under too? I bought a new HF red angle grinder that has some balls to it. The safety power switch (push and slide) is wonky but I repaired it. Slap a 5" cut off wheel onto it and kick some metal butt. Sad to see their new alkaline batteries are now only about $2 cheaper than Duracells.....:-(

Orchard supply, who stocked Craftsman closed nearby, did they go under too? I

Lowe's bought Orchard Supply and then closed them all. Too bad too, I really liked the Orchard Supply that was close to me.
Lowe's now carries Craftsman.

The $30 HF blue grinder with the paddle switch isn't a bad unit, either. The power cord on mine went bad but I had a 14 foot piece of 16 gauge two wire orange extension cord that made a nice retrofit for it. It's seen some hard usage and no problems yet. The last Pittsburgh wrenches I used from there were a set from 20 years ago, if you used two and hooked the box end over the open end for leverage on a stuck fastener they would twist into all sorts of artistic shapes.

Last edited:
You have to be selective about what you buy from HF.

If it's got an electric motor, I'm leery.

That said, I bought their small band saw used and it's been fine for a decade, but could be more precise.
Otherwise though I couldn't afford one.

The $80 marine winch did real good as well. The $50 ATV winch is not as good.

I've heard the "if you made money with your tools..." line many times but I just don't get how a $37 9/16 wrench gets a nut off any better than a $5 wrench, although I will give you that a $1 wrench made from softer metal and/or not to the correct tolerance is definitely inferior.

I bought their Lynxx pole saw. Supposed to be one of their better products. Lasted 1 day. I think they are going the wrong direction. I go there for affordable tools. If I want to overpay, I can go to Lowes, and buy their Craftsman tools that they have jacked the prices on.

...I just don't get how a $37 9/16 wrench gets a nut off any better than a $5 wrench, although I will give you that a $1 wrench made from softer metal and/or not to the correct tolerance is definitely inferior.

That $37 wrench SHOULD fit the 9/16 bolt better. Which translates into not stripping the nut/bolt head. Typically they're also harder/stronger, better finish, and will often have other features like size markings you can actually read (whoever decided to start laser markings sockets should be hung). These better wrenches also tend not to bend or flex as much when really reefing on something.

The other thing about 'working' tools is that it's not just about the tool, it's about the warranty/guarantee and service. That $37 wrench what comes off a truck will save the agony of having to stop mid-job to go find a replacement tool for one which is lost/damaged. Often, those same high-end tools can also be refurbished or fixed (when they have moving parts), so 'replacement' doesn't always mean another $150 ratchet - it's often a no-cost proposition and no time lost either.

Also, ever need a tool only to find that the only shop which carries it is out of stock? Doesn't fly as an excuse when Karen comes in to pick up her kid-hauler with plans of dragging the munchkins to the next forced-participation activity of the day.. The boss also doesn't tend to like hearing that there's an idle job on the hoist because snot-for-brains forgot he lent his only ratchet which fits to his cousin-in-law last week, and now is now waiting for that booger eater to swing back by with it.

The casual user and shade-tree mechanic can get by with crap tools, and crap tools have their place when it's a one-and-done proposition. But quality tools are definitely better when you need to live with them day in and day out.

Last edited:
That $37 wrench SHOULD fit the 9/16 bolt better. Which translates into not stripping the nut/bolt head. Typically they're also harder/stronger, better finish, and will often have other features like size markings you can actually read (whoever decided to start laser markings sockets should be hung). These better wrenches also tend not to bend or flex as much when really reefing on something.

The other thing about 'working' tools is that it's not just about the tool, it's about the warranty/guarantee and service. That $37 wrench what comes off a truck will save the agony of having to stop mid-job to go find a replacement tool for one which is lost/damaged. Often, those same high-end tools can also be refurbished or fixed (when they have moving parts), so 'replacement' doesn't always mean another $150 ratchet - it's often a no-cost proposition and no time lost either.

Also, ever need a tool, only to find that the only shop which carries it, is out of stock? Doesn't fly as an excuse when Karen comes in to pick up her kid-hauler with plans of dragging the munchkins to the next forced-participation activity of the day.. The boss also doesn't tend to like hearing that there's an idle job on the hoist because snot-for-brains forgot he lent his only ratchet which fits to his cousin-in-law last week, and now is now waiting for that booger eater to swing back by with it.

The casual user and shade-tree mechanic can get by with crap tools, and crap tools have their place when it's a one-and-done proposition. But quality tools are definitely better when you need to live with them day in and day out.
Well said!

My friend from childhood is a store manager for Harbor Freight and we got talking at a party lately. He says their tool line is getting totally revamped, upscaled and the prices are also going to go up. They got an Icon brand tool chest that's $18,000 bucks...I asked how many he's sold, said none. He told me "for 18 grand, I better be able to drive it too". Its a huge tool chest, like 14 feet long? Said its a dead ringer for a Snap On. I hope they keep a disposable "value line" of hand tools too, love them free 6 in 1 screwdrivers. They have come a long way from the absolute crap cast in India wrenches and rough tap and die kits they used to sell.

Icon Tool Storage

View attachment 1715409473

Interesting though, since they are targeting snap on directly, I wonder what that setup would cost in snap on products?

A lot of their recent ads feature one of their newer, re-branded products (although a couple older brands have been used) in a "head to head" style banner at the top listing the specs and price of each.

Snap-on is not the only target.

-
Back