hard hot starts?

-

SirDan

Reaction score
If I drive around for a half hour or longer and get the car good and hot, then shut it off and go into 7/11 or something and come back out I have to hold the throttle open a bit and it takes a few seconds to start. It smells like gas when I shut it off too. Its an eddy 600 cfm. Could my floats be adjusted wrong? could it be something else? any ideas would be helpful.

I hate to say but I would say it's the nature of the beast with the combo you're running. Mine does the same thing. A carb spacer/isolator will help. Also blocking off the heat riser passage and modifying or removing the valve so that it can't close will help. A aluminum intake will help especially if it is a Air Gap design. Too much heat build up in the carb and the poor gas with alcohol we have now causes the problem. tmm

Very very very FIRST thing to do is to figure out if it's ignition or fuel. Test the spark when hot with a spark tester. I found a little Lisle adjustable one in the stores for 8? bucks. Devise a plan so you can do this in a meaningful way.

If you decide that's not the issue, the best things I did before I converted to EFI

rear mount electric pump

Wix 33040/41 fuel filter and vapor return system.

and carb heat isolator. There's been some discussion that Ed carbs might be more prone due to the float bowls being "flat" against the manifold heat source.

Consider plugging the crossover passages

Be sure the engine is running "up to" temp but not excessively hot.

Before I converted to EFI, I also considered adding a separate fuel pump switch to kill the pump when pulling into a parking place, etc, to run some fuel out of the bowls. If you hide this, it will also act as an antitheft device.

Hey SirDan,

Had the same problem w/my set-up. Added a 1/2" Eddy spacer (wood) and switch the old coil (which was getting extremely hot) with a new one. Not sure which mod actually fixed it, maybe a little of both, but the car fires right up when hot now. Good luck!

Pat

Mine does this too, annoys the crap out of me. Unfortunately I have no room for a carb spacer and the factory air cleaner !

Mine did it too till I installed trailbeasts hei conversion, Best 100 bucks I ever spent starts like the new cars now.

If you determine it is fuel related, start simple. What is the fuel line from the mechanical pump made of? Is it resting on any part of the engine? When I first got my Duster a few years ago, the aluminum line from the fuel pump was routed in the stock location, but was resting on the intake manifold. After I turned the car off hot, the fuel in the line would boil, and vapor lock the system. I eventually bent the line where is was not touching anything, and insulated it, and it resolved the issue.

-
Back