hard shift

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
ok, 505" wedge, 727 full auto, 3:73 dana rear. working the bugs out of a 7 yr build ( I`m old).
I adjusted the lokar kick down, and it`s shifting the way I want . w/ exception of a terribly hard upshift automatically to drive-from 2nd gear. with a 3500 loose convertor, it seems a little mushy in the low to second shift in normal driving, I can live w/ that. but I`m afraid its going to tear something up on the 3 gear shift, especially if it`s any harder under full throttle.
comments from trans experts, or any one that has experienced this please---------bob

I am no expert.....but the easiest thing to try is to loosen the forward band a little. It applies in third. You may be experiencing shift overlap where it is momentarily in second and third at the same time. Loosening the band slightly should correct this. This is the external adjustment on the left side of the transmission. Try backing it off by 1/2 turn and see if anything changes.

Edit....I stand corrected. The band releases for third. See the response below for correct explanation. As I said, I am no expert.....

Last edited:
I am no expert.....but the easiest thing to try is to loosen the forward band a little. It applies in third. You may be experiencing shift overlap where it is momentarily in second and third at the same time. Loosening the band slightly should correct this. This is the external adjustment on the left side of the transmission. Try backing it off by 1/2 turn and see if anything changes.
think it `ill maker it slip and burn out the band.

Sounds to me like the front clutch is coming on too hard and fast.
The front band releases when going into third, so changing that adjustment isn't going to help it.
The only way the front band is going to make a difference is if it is not releasing quick enough causing a 2-3 bind.
Without taking the trans back apart again the only way to fix that might be to limit the flow to the forward clutch via an orifice in the front clutch oil passage in the case. (this has no affect on pressure, but only the speed that the clutch applies) so the slower the clutch fills with fluid the milder the engagement will be.

If you are sure you don't have a 2-3 overlap (feels like stepping on the brakes for a second before third engages) then the orifice might be your solution.
A 2-3 overlap can easily feel like a real hard shift, and can be accompanied by what is described as a BANG into gear.
There is also a concern about what strut lever you are using for the front band

Here's a link for you, as the Tom Hand website on TF's shows what is applied in what gears.
Tom Hand's guide to the Chrysler torqueflite automatic transmission

AirTest727904.jpg

...........How many springs did u put in the front drum, but as TB says an orifice control plug in the case for 3rd gear can hopefully cure it.........what number was stamped on the front lever, what did u set the band at...........kim........

-
Back