Hard to put into 1st gear

-

74 360 dart sport

Reaction score
74 dart sport 360 a833 4 speed new McLeod clutch kit new crankshaft bushing new throw out bearing new z bar new flywheel adjusted the rods with the L shaped tool from brewers when I go to put it into 1st it usually hits reverse or 3rd and it feels like it is binding also new rod rebuild kit when I was connecting the transmission to the motor no matter what I did I had to pull it together by tightening the tranny bolts in a even sequence and when I aligned the new clutch I used the alignment tool from brewers what are your thoughts thanks Tom

Need to adjust the shift rods, there is a hole in the hurst block to align the arms in neutral, then make sure the 1/2 3/4 levers in the transmission are in the center, ie neutral. That should help. And ensure your Z bar and pivot are adjusted so your clutch is fully engaging / disengaging

Make sure have enough clutch disc and plate departure. May need to adjust the clutch linkage.

"Hits reverse" Maybe there's a missing/ broken spring in the shifter? Should be a definitive "push" to get into the reverse gate. You should be able to easily pull the knob some to the left against some spring to select the 1/2 or 3/4 gates, and then pull it some more left against a stronger resistance into the reverse gate

As above, check shifter adjustment. The shop manuals have this in them. Also there is a simple reverse lockout you can buy from Hurst, it's just a flat plate mechanism that bolts between the shifter and the mounting. You pull up or push down to enable R

15737004373242069582598209543875-jpeg.jpg

Thanks but as stated I used the tool to slide in to align while in neutral when I adjusted rods I had a friend help when adjusting the clutch and did as the instructions on McLeod and out of my Chilton's repair manual so I really am puzzled I'm wondering about the pilot shaft being so hard going into the pilot bushing has anything to do with it

Did you add lube into the crank hole behind the bushing? FSM say's 1/2 teaspoon I believe.
Does it grind when it goes into reverse, as in the clutch acts like it doesn't release?
A '73 FSM manual may help.......
Service Manuals – MyMopar

.......and it does not grind going into gear
I'd say reset the linkage again. With the rods off and tabs on, I cycle each shift fork through the gear positions and return to neutral. The shifter gate centered with the pin. The rods should slip in without effort.
You may still need to tune the adjustment to compensate for any wear, one rod at a time, one pivot revolution at a time, and test run. Remember where you start.
Make sure your shifter is cleaned and lubed. Sometimes they just need to be rebuilt.

Take the rods off the tabs and try shifting the trans by hand. It will take a little effort but should be possible by hand.

-
Back