Hardware Treatments

-

I8NEMO

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
In other restorations (Toyota LandCruiser 1969) I have had the hardware restored via a gold colored zinc plating treatment, it was super cheap, matched original for like $60 for a 5g pail of hardware. Not my choice for my A body. Recently someone posted a pic of some hardware that he had treated with some kind of gray product although the pieces looked like natural steel and I'll be damned if I can't find that post lol. I'd like to hear what you all are using to restore old hardware beyond wire wheeling.

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Black oxide coating would not be grey looking but it is what I send my caliper bolts out and have done to them.
Electroless nickel plating can have a grey look to it but looks more like a chrome look.
Was it like a light grey or dark?
Rhodium is a Silvery white and apparently used on automotive parts but have never seen myself.

Last edited:
Could it be zinc plating? That would be a grayish color and not too shiny

Cast Blast paint? Like these from Greg Purcell.
I handled these, they look and feel like a durable coating.
castblast.jpg

Probably some sort of manganese phosphate coating, which can be black/grey/purple. It goes by many names. In a manufacturing plant I worked at we used "Endurion" coating on steel/iron parts back in the '80s, and it was grey.

The pic from Joey4speed is what I was trying to remember, I'll give it a shot. I have used paint on products in the past and would think that an anodize process would be more conducive. Thanks eveyone for all the help.

Tim

In other restorations (Toyota LandCruiser 1969) I have had the hardware restored via a gold colored zinc plating treatment, it was super cheap, matched original for like $60 for a 5g pail of hardware. Not my choice for my A body. Recently someone posted a pic of some hardware that he had treated with some kind of gray product although the pieces looked like natural steel and I'll be damned if I can't find that post lol. I'd like to hear what you all are using to restore old hardware beyond wire wheeling.

Thanks and HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Here you Go, here are some photos and links to the Zinc Plating Process that you can do on your own with basic materials and a low voltage battery charger.

0802171735a.jpg

0802171810.jpg

0803171334.jpg

0803171520.jpg

0803171538.jpg

0803171422.jpg

The Process
Mix together 300 grams of Epsom salts, 100 grams of zinc sulfate, 200ml of white vinegar and about 1/3 bottle of corn syrup into 4.5 liters of tap water and stir with a paint stick until everything is well dissolved. Place the anodes into the solution.

I use distilled water, more pure.

In place of the Zinc Sulfate I just go to the home builder's store and get a roll of that 4" wide Zinc tin that they have in the roofing department. You take the Zinc tin and cut it up into small strips and put it into your mixed solution for 48 hours, it breaks the Zinc down and absorbs it into the solution so now you are already for plating. Pour the screened solution into your plating bowl or tank, surround the outside edge of the plating tank with a band of the Zinc to hook the Positive cable of the battery charger to. 3 volts or less is best, older battery chargers have that trickle charge that works well. Negative clamp wired to the part you are plating. Solution flows from Positive to Negative to Plate your part. Rinse with distilled water and buff it up lightly.

Here is a link to copy and paste, if you want more info:
Zinc Plating with Common Materials

Can throw your parts in a plastic tub of Vinegar household cleaning 6%, for 48 hours to derust your parts then wire wheel clean ready to plate. Or there is the Battery Charger Electrolysis operation that works in reverse of the plating process to get the rust off. Get your parts clean however you see fit. Sanding works well, sand blasting pits them up, media blasting OK.

0803172123.jpg

0803172125.jpg

0803172220.jpg

0803172303.jpg

The Corn Syrup gives it the shine, they say Karo Clear Corn Syrup works the best.
Have Fun . . .

Here you Go, here are some photos and links to the Zinc Plating Process that you can do on your own with basic materials and a low voltage battery charger.

View attachment 1715446541

View attachment 1715446542

View attachment 1715446543

View attachment 1715446544

View attachment 1715446545

View attachment 1715446546

The Process
Mix together 300 grams of Epsom salts, 100 grams of zinc sulfate, 200ml of white vinegar and about 1/3 bottle of corn syrup into 4.5 liters of tap water and stir with a paint stick until everything is well dissolved. Place the anodes into the solution.

I use distilled water, more pure.

In place of the Zinc Sulfate I just go to the home builder's store and get a roll of that 4" wide Zinc tin that they have in the roofing department. You take the Zinc tin and cut it up into small strips and put it into your mixed solution for 48 hours, it breaks the Zinc down and absorbs it into the solution so now you are already for plating. Pour the screened solution into your plating bowl or tank, surround the outside edge of the plating tank with a band of the Zinc to hook the Positive cable of the battery charger to. 3 volts or less is best, older battery chargers have that trickle charge that works well. Negative clamp wired to the part you are plating. Solution flows from Positive to Negative to Plate your part. Rinse with distilled water and buff it up lightly.

Here is a link to copy and paste, if you want more info:
Zinc Plating with Common Materials

Can throw your parts in a plastic tub of Vinegar household cleaning 6%, for 48 hours to derust your parts then wire wheel clean ready to plate. Or there is the Battery Charger Electrolysis operation that works in reverse of the plating process to get the rust off. Get your parts clean however you see fit. Sanding works well, sand blasting pits them up, media blasting OK.

View attachment 1715446547

View attachment 1715446548

View attachment 1715446549

View attachment 1715446550

The Corn Syrup gives it the shine, they say Karo Clear Corn Syrup works the best.
Have Fun . . .
Holy Crap that is awesome!!! Thank you for the great info!

Black oxide coating would not be grey looking but it is what I send my caliper bolts out and have done to them.
Electroless nickel plating can have a grey look to it but looks more like a chrome look.
Was it like a light grey or dark?
Rhodium is a Silvery white and apparently used on automotive parts but have never seen myself.

Hi I am in need to these bolts.

A body Kelsey Hayse 4 piston calliper mounting bolts.

Can you help? 2 bolts would do 2 sets would be great !

68 GTS Morgan

-
Back