Harmonic balancer for a stroker

-

fishy68

Tyr Fryr's Inc.
Reaction score
I need a new harmonic balancer for the 408 I'm building and have looked around and found several with the prices varying widely. Just wondering what guys here are running? It's mostly a street car with a few trips to the track per year so I don't need a $1000 balancer but it would be nice if it's SFI rated. What's your suggestion? Would like it if I don't have to spend over $150 but I'm not sure if that'll get a good quality SFI rated balancer. Probably not.

Here's the one that I put on the 390 in the Swinger. I tried to insert the link to Summit's web page but I couldn't get it to work so I just copied the page. This one is SFI Rated for $180. They have a non-SFI version for about $50.00 less:

Pioneer Automotive 872037 $179.95
Estimated Ship Date: Today

Brand: Pioneer Automotive
Product Line: Pioneer Race Balancers
Part Type: Harmonic Balancers
Part Number: PIO-872037
Engine Balance: Internal
Balance Style: Neutral
Safety Rating: SFI 18.1
Degree Markings: Yes
Outside Diameter (in): 7.240 in.
Harmonic Balancer Material: Nodular iron
Harmonic Balancer Construction: Elastomer
Harmonic Balancer Finish: Black painted
Mounting Hardware Included: No
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: Weight is 9.40 lbs.

Harmonic Balancer, Race, Internal Balance, 7.24 in., Iron, Black, Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth, 318/340, Each

Check to make sure this part fits your application
Lightweight, SFI-approved race balancers.
These Pioneer race balancers bring the advantages of bonded rubber to high-revving race and street/race applications where an SFI-approved balancer is required. Each balancer features a precision CNC-machined AUSI 1045 steel center bonded to an equally strong steel inertia ring. The advanced design makes these balancers very lightweight for an all-steel product. The steel inertia ring on these models is positively protected against forward and backward movement and has the added assurance of bonded rubber to eliminate spinning. Every Pioneer race balancer features easy-to-read, computer-etched timing marks.

Ray

Fishy,

The crank for your stroker is inteded to be internally balanced right?

Here's the one that I put on the 390 in the Swinger. I tried to insert the link to Summit's web page but I couldn't get it to work so I just copied the page. This one is SFI Rated for $180. They have a non-SFI version for about $50.00 less:

Pioneer Automotive 872037 $179.95
Estimated Ship Date: Today

Brand: Pioneer Automotive
Product Line: Pioneer Race Balancers
Part Type: Harmonic Balancers
Part Number: PIO-872037
Engine Balance: Internal
Balance Style: Neutral
Safety Rating: SFI 18.1
Degree Markings: Yes
Outside Diameter (in): 7.240 in.
Harmonic Balancer Material: Nodular iron
Harmonic Balancer Construction: Elastomer
Harmonic Balancer Finish: Black painted
Mounting Hardware Included: No
Quantity: Sold individually.
Notes: Weight is 9.40 lbs.

Harmonic Balancer, Race, Internal Balance, 7.24 in., Iron, Black, Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth, 318/340, Each

Check to make sure this part fits your application
Lightweight, SFI-approved race balancers.
These Pioneer race balancers bring the advantages of bonded rubber to high-revving race and street/race applications where an SFI-approved balancer is required. Each balancer features a precision CNC-machined AUSI 1045 steel center bonded to an equally strong steel inertia ring. The advanced design makes these balancers very lightweight for an all-steel product. The steel inertia ring on these models is positively protected against forward and backward movement and has the added assurance of bonded rubber to eliminate spinning. Every Pioneer race balancer features easy-to-read, computer-etched timing marks.

Ray

Hi Ray,

I believe those were some I looked among others. I'm not sure how important the SFI rating is since I'm just an occasional racer but figured it would be good to have. I believe with the new stroker and sticky tires it will be in the low 12's, possible high 11's but that would be all. Not building something super radical here. Do you know when the SFI rating is required? Do you have to go so fast such as in the 11 sec. class to be required to run one like you do with a roll cage?

Thanks alot, Tracy

I bought the MP "Thin A-engine damper", part number 4452816, and it looks like a high quality part. Reason I bought that is because I want to run the stock pulleys and most after market dampers are thicker which would cause pulley alignment issues. Plus, even with the ported Eddie heads and 550 lift roller cam my 414 won't make much more power past 6,000 RPM. Unless you go with ported Indy heads and a real big cam the 4" motors aren't high RPM screamers.

I bought the MP "Thin A-engine damper", part number 4452816, and it looks like a high quality part. Reason I bought that is because I want to run the stock pulleys and most after market dampers are thicker which would cause pulley alignment issues. Plus, even with the ported Eddie heads and 550 lift roller cam my 414 won't make much more power past 6,000 RPM. Unless you go with ported Indy heads and a real big cam the 4" motors aren't high RPM screamers.

Yeah I know what you mean about them not being high rpm screamers because their piston speed is so high. I figure mine will peak at 53-5500 and max shift rpm will be 56-5800 give or take a little. Good point on the thickness difference. I didn't think about that being a problem. I have a new March serpentine setup on it now and sure don't want to have to change that to make things fit.

Thanks, Tracy

That's the part number that Jim Szilagyi recomends. :)

-
Back