Harmonic balancer question?...

-

j par

Well-hung Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a harmonic balancer from one of the local guys that has Mopar parts... Just wanted to make sure this was naturally balanced? It looks like it it's got a couple little drill outs but that may be just to naturally balance it? It certainly doesn't look like the 360 one that I have and I'm not quite sure if the 340 sometimes had a different balance for whatever reason? Anyhow this is the one..
I'm looking for a neutrally balanced...
IMG_20211002_185604.jpg
IMG_20211002_185609.jpg
IMG_20211002_185615.jpg

That's a neutral balancer. The cast crank 340 (external balance, late '72 & '73) looked like this:
OIP.TReoK9th8io_-5Zh56nFbAAAAA?w=210&h=159&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.jpg

The balance ring has "use with 340 cast crank only" cast into it.
OIP.E0kEQcz-Y_Y2_pZK8pm80QHaFj?w=231&h=180&c=7&r=0&o=5&pid=1.jpg

I believe the early 318 and 340 balancers (68 and 69) will position the TDC mark on the passenger side while the later 340’s (70 up) place the TDC mark on the drivers side. Check the part numbers.

Last edited:
I believe the early 3;0 balances (68 and 69) will position the TDC mark on the passenger side while the later 340’s (70 up) place the TDC mark on the drivers side. Check the part numbers.

Vibration damper #4095633 was used on 318 engines from 1978 thru 1980.

Do yourself a favor and buy a new one. The elastomeric band can be bad and you won't know it until the outer ring slips. Balancers should always be new.

Do yourself a favor and buy a new one. The elastomeric band can be bad and you won't know it until the outer ring slips. Balancers should always be new.
How can they always be new?

Is there any kind of casting numbers chart / part number breakdown of what was used where?

I already learned that lesson on my Duster.. the hard way of course.. LOL..
But this is just a driver truck.. it's not going to see any crazy RPM...

I already learned that lesson on my Duster.. the hard way of course.. LOL..
But this is just a driver truck.. it's not going to see any crazy RPM...
For some quick visual reference, you might mark the outer and inner rings together.

A while back my next door neighbor's '02 Lexus was constantly squealing like a belt issue. He found what the squeal was all about one day when the balancer ring came off banging and clanging all over.

As long as the rubber isn't swollen and/or mushy, it should be fine on a street car. If you're racing, get a Fluid damper, or, at least something SFI approved.

As long as the rubber isn't swollen and/or mushy, it should be fine on a street car. If you're racing, get a Fluid damper, or, at least something SFI approved.
You may be right, but having seen the condition of 50 year old rubber, I replace mine.

What is the best balancer for my 408 internally balanced? I respect all opinions, but be polite, please.

For some quick visual reference, you might mark the outer and inner rings together.

A while back my next door neighbor's '02 Lexus was constantly squealing like a belt issue. He found what the squeal was all about one day when the balancer ring came off banging and clanging all over.
Ouch

What is the best balancer for my 408 internally balanced? I respect all opinions, but be polite,
Not sure of the best, but probably a reputable brand w/ Zero Balance .
P.S if RRR says that the Aussie one is the ticket, I'd go that way.. JMHO

Never heard of them, but I'll check. I'm old and not cutting corners on this build. Thanks for your information, sir.

Always new in that if you have to buy one for what ever reason, buy a new one. Not expensive . You can't always do a visual and be sure it is ready to go. Why take the chance. Even if you get lucky and don't damage something, you still have to buy another one and do the work again.
An engine just passing someone on the road can hit 4,000 rpms. May not seem fast but think about it. A couple of pounds of iron/steel spinning at just a few thousand rpms is a lot of force. Even if it is only 6-8" in diameter.
A new 78-80 318 balancer is about $50.
78 1978 Dodge D100 Engine Harmonic Balancer - Engine Mechanical - ATP, DIY Solutions, Dayco, Dorman, Pioneer Cables, SKP, TRQ - PartsGeek

-
Back