Has anyone replaced insulation above instrument cluster...

-

Justin Angle

Reaction score
Pulled the cluster out of my 71 duster to replace some bulbs and the insulation and a bunch of nastiness above the instrument cluster fell down. I figured Id replace it since I have it out Is there a part number or insulation kit you guys know of that includes this piece? I thought about buying a roll of insulation and cutting it myself but was also wondering What if I just put the cluster in without it?
Thanks heres a pic of it
20200731_110800.jpg

That's a rat's nest. They pull that stuff from under seats and stick it anywhere they can to make a nest. Nothing that can burn needs to be in that area.

They call it shoddy pad I believe. If you search for that I think you will find it. I replaced mine with some carpet pad using some 3M super 77 adhesive.

Awesome thanks guys. Does any go or did you put any directly above the instrument cluster sticking to the bottom side of the dash? Or just back around the cowl area.

Stay away from Jute. Rodents feed on the hemp fibers.
If you have to, use something synthetic, like Dynamat, its already sticky.

i put my shoddy pad in with the dash out. and it still was less than graceful to install. gotta go above air box which was out of car, behind wiper stuff was not in car, behind and around column support. a real PIA when you got your 3m glue all over it.

got my shoddy pad from detroit muscle

but yeah thats a good ole bonafide rats nest in your picture

I put it on the top of the underside of the dash. As said before, wasn’t pretty, but functional.

There's no amount of money you could pay me to put that stupid **** "all around" where electrical components are installed. No way. No how. I think something like Killmat or Dynomat is a much better choice. If you've ever seen a dash fire, you'll know what I'm talkin about.

Agree.
That stuff was installed with 50 year old technology and thinking.
If it supports combustion? No good.
Hell, just think, smoke detectors weren't around 50 years ago either.

-
Back