Has anyone used these type connectors?

-
They are used in the USAF for soldering on braided shield on coax to add a jumper or terminate the coax, not for two wires together. I would pass on them as a splice for two wires they will pull out at some point. The standard splice we used was a bare barrel with a plastic heat shrink you put over it.

Last edited:
I would wonder if it is low temp solder, if the circuit got hot, would it melt, increasing resistance and causing bad connection, possible fire?
If your circuit is getting hot, you need a bigger gauge wire.

Lol right under the picture.

Heat Shrink Solder Sleeve Shield Terminals

11-04425.jpg
These are wire connectors.

I saw that. But I don't know what all that terminology means. Measured in C means they have to get really hot to melt. I do know that.

Operating Temperature: -67°F-257°F
Fully Recovered Temp: 266°F
Temp of Solder Starting Melt: 257°F
Temp of Full Solder Melt: 302°F
Voltage Resistance: >600V

We had a heat gun for them Think it wat a HT_1000

I got to where I like to use 1/16" i.d. copper tubing for connecting 2 wires together, (about 3/4" long) crimp it and then solder it, and heat shrink it. Seems I`m always out of connectors.
I have even used a small drill to enlarge the hole in it for a little bigger wire. Anything to not take the time to run to the auto parts store , as long as it comes out right !

I think what you will find is that unless you are using "high temp" wire the insulation will melt before you get the solder to melt (with a good heat gun).
Now, that may be obvious from the discussion so far.
These type of things are best suited for Teflon wire in my experience.
(Look up the temp ratings)
They are very common in avionics work for that reason.
For my hobby work, usually take the sleeve off of a standard crimp and just use the inner barrel.
Then I add solder and heat shrink it.
I know that sounds like a lot of work, but other than the "environmental splice" that hallifaxhops shows, it is the best option for me.

Wow I am actually stunned you knew what a environmental splice was. Ex Mil?

The ones with the barrel are rated for 20 years on aircraft. Now the coax ones with just wires I would not trust, prob would not even shrink far enough around a few wires to seal it.

Operating Temperature: -67°F-257°F
Fully Recovered Temp: 266°F
Temp of Solder Starting Melt: 257°F
Temp of Full Solder Melt: 302°F
Voltage Resistance: >600V

Oh yeah. That helped. NOT. Operating temperature is obvious. WTF is fully recovered?

When the heat shrink is totally melted. The heat shrink will seal before the solder melts, keeps it in the one area.

-
Back