Has This Happened to You???

-

Billy Jack

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm new here and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the problem I'm having? I recently purchased a 1972 Dodge Dart Custom. It's in great shape and only has 58,000 original miles. Doesn't need a lot of work, which is what I wanted. I decided to replace ball joints, bushings, bumpers, etc. I ordered a replacement kit. Whenever I got ready to connect the new lower ball joint to the spindle, the bolt holes didn't line up. The company says it should fit. When I put the new one next to the old one, they're not even the same size. Arm is longer and bolt holes are much larger. Could they have accidentally put ones for disc instead of drum? I'm attaching photos I sent the company so they can investigate. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks, BJ

01.jpg

05.jpg

08.jpg

06.jpg

The new ball joint is a disc brake ball joint. The one that came off your car is a drum brake ball joint.

Aren't those 9" drum lower ball joints notoriously dangerously weak?

Aren't those 9" drum lower ball joints notoriously dangerously weak?

Not that I'm aware of, no. Possibly from people putting their car in undue stress and expecting a small, standard ball joint to hold up? If they were dangerous, we'd known all about it by now as old as these cars are.

All A -body lower ball joints use the same size stud since all the lower control arms fit from 1960-76.

-
Back