Hate to do it, but...

-

ramenth

Gratis persona
Reaction score
There's a tree on the border with the next day neighbors that had an offending low branch that every time I mowed I have to lift branches over my head to get the lawn tractor under. Otherwise it was get wacked in the face.

Since it's so close to the property line I talked to the neighbor last fall about taking out the branch. There are times he mows under the tree, other times I do. At the time I reminded him that the property line is actually at the corner of his driveway and the tree is actually mine.

Because of the shape of my property, I have six corners. Four of them are marked. All of the rear ones. Over the years people pulled up the road side ones. My mistake for not getting a new survey when I bought the place, but since nothing changed, I use the old one.

When I cut the branch yesterday he came out of the house demanding that what I did was wrong. I didn't get into it with him as we are good neighbors, helping each other out and our kids play together, but it irked me that he thought he actually had a say in it, other than just a courtesy heads up being that close to the property line. The tree is mine. A few feet on my side of the line as projected by standing landmarks on the survey (his garage is less than a foot off the property line and the tree is about five feet my side of the garage).

I was told when I moved in, the original surveyor would come out and replace the stakes for free. He never returned several phones call made to him.

Really don't want a border war, here, but I guess it's time to get a survey done and make sure the borders are clearly marked.

Anything that invades your airspace is yours to remove and your neighbor has no say in it. Even if the base of the tree is on his land you have the right to remove any part of the tree that goes into or over your property. But since you are good neighbors it is best to just apologize hope everything is forgotten/forgiven

There's a tree on the border with the next day neighbors that had an offending low branch that every time I mowed I have to lift branches over my head to get the lawn tractor under. Otherwise it was get wacked in the face.

Since it's so close to the property line I talked to the neighbor last fall about taking out the branch. There are times he mows under the tree, other times I do. At the time I reminded him that the property line is actually at the corner of his driveway and the tree is actually mine.

Because of the shape of my property, I have six corners. Four of them are marked. All of the rear ones. Over the years people pulled up the road side ones. My mistake for not getting a new survey when I bought the place, but since nothing changed, I use the old one.

When I cut the branch yesterday he came out of the house demanding that what I did was wrong. I didn't get into it with him as we are good neighbors, helping each other out and our kids play together, but it irked me that he thought he actually had a say in it, other than just a courtesy heads up being that close to the property line. The tree is mine. A few feet on my side of the line as projected by standing landmarks on the survey (his garage is less than a foot off the property line and the tree is about five feet my side of the garage).

I was told when I moved in, the original surveyor would come out and replace the stakes for free. He never returned several phones call made to him.

Really don't want a border war, here, but I guess it's time to get a survey done and make sure the borders are clearly marked.
Yeah, a survey is always a good idea.

I had a fence built and a sprinkler system installed at my last house without a survey. My neighbor paid for a survey and then we found out I had another 15' of property I didn't realize was mine. I ended up paying to have the fence relocated and the sprinkler system modified as well.

Current home, I paid for a survey prior to planting trees across my entire north property line. When My neighbor to the south saw a surveyor on my property, he couldn't understand why I paid for a survey when he knew where that property line was. We explained the expected north tree line. Fortunately I spent the money as where I had planned to plant the trees would have been right at the property line, which would have caused them to grow onto the north neighbor's property. Money well spent.

Anything that invades your airspace is yours to remove and your neighbor has no say in it. Even if the base of the tree is on his land you have the right to remove any part of the tree that goes into or over your property. But since you are good neighbors it is best to just apologize hope everything is forgotten/forgiven

I let it go and explained it off as a miscommunication, since I told him where I would be cutting prior to having done it, even of he didn't remember.

Just looking, really, to save any future frustrations on misconstrued border lines.

you know what they say about fences

we bought our house last year, the property line to the south was clearly marked and the house to the north sold a moths later, and they got a survey done, so now all 4 corners are marked
not that you could find them without a machette, there is some dense foliage on those parts (in fact, the surveyers cut a path with machettes but it overgrew again)

It's better for the tree to have the low hanging branches removed. At least that's the story I'd tell the neighbor!

Even though it’s crappy to have to go this route it’s a good route to take. Better off defining property lines. It just helps keep the peace.

My neighbor asked me to address the tree on my side of our joint built cinder block wall as he said the roots are buckling his garage slab and cracking the block wall. I had no problem getting it cut and poisoned and he even kicked in 33% (down from original 50% but better than nothing!) The walnut tree (?) Had a base root ball of over 3 feet wide and found that it took out my foindations retaining wall and displaced it 6 inches. Still need to contact insurance about that....

Even though it’s crappy to have to go this route it’s a good route to take. Better off defining property lines. It just helps keep the peace.

And that's my thing. The clearly defined borders would help in instances like this.

Hell, there are portions of my yard he mows and vice versa. His little Craftsman mower just won't do the job and my bigger Cub will.

When he moved in his backyard hadn't been mowed all summer. Seeing how he had two boys and knowing that my Cub could mow hay I knocked down for him.

Now they have a pool and a burn pit in the backyard.

Not that I expect anything in return, just neighbors being neighbors.

He's helped us, too, in a pinch and I appreciate it. Just hate the assumption being made.

A survery will take care of any confusion.

Speaking of cutting that branch, I decided to just keep going. Got a maple in fhe front yard that needed trimming and shaping. Need to get to the big apple tree, too, since that hasn't been done in five years.

Just feels good getting out and taking care of these things. Last summer, dealing with my unmedicated depression, I could care less. I wanted to do these things, but didn't care enough to do them.

Good neighbours come in handy...you never know when you pull wide out of the garage, hit a wet spot and need a 4x4 to pull you out of the rut you just dug

IMG-20180423-WA0001001.jpg

I let it go and explained it off as a miscommunication, since I told him where I would be cutting prior to having done it, even of he didn't remember.

Just looking, really, to save any future frustrations on misconstrued border lines.

The law says if it intrudes onto your property you can do whatever you want with THAT part of it, even if the tree itself is on his property.
I know a guy that cut the top off only his half of lilac bushes on a fence line.
My Brother didn't want them cut at all as it was a privacy bushes/wall, but the other guy wanted them cut down to the top of the 4 foot fence so he cut the stuff on his side of the fence and left the other side with the rounded tops.
We laughed about it actually, because we know he did it just to make them look like hell so my Brother would go ahead and cut his side, but nooooo.
They still looked normal from my Brothers side, but goofy as hell on that guy's side.:D

I'd get the survey done if it's in your budget.
Several years back I had the neighbor of my rental want me to go 1/2 on replacing a fence.
I told him I wasn't paying for 1/2 of his new fence. He cited a rule in the twp that requires fences on property lines are joint ownership items.
When he bought the house, he didn't have a survey done, the fence was built by the previous owner and was 10' into a 14' alley. So as it turned out I wasn't his next door neighbor after all, and his fence wasn't on his property. His yard was 14' wide x 200' long, smaller than he thought.
I already knew this as the previous owner tried to have the alley closed and the property deeded to him. I fought it, because in the 70's, when the alley was created, my grand father lost 7' of the 14' alley and if they closed the alley, I wanted the 7' back.
Anyway, in the end he had to take down the fence that was obstructing the alley and the twp is exempt from it's own fence rule.

What was funny is I was outside yesterday replacing my well pump and heard him bitching to his dad.

His dad walked over the tree, looked at the garage ans told him to get over it, the tree is on my property. And then to top it off his dad told him even if it wasn't, the limb was.

Yeah, a couple of days later he was persverating on what was done.

Before the end of summer there will be a property marker

My neighbor behind me had a fence that was 5' high and blew down during the winter. He put up a snow fence until fall. When fall came I offered to pay half for the fence but asked to have a 5' fence with a 1' lattice top. I have a swimming pool, so wanted more privacy. Well low and behold the neighbor (an engineer) stated he didn't want my money or my help. No problem.....

The fence gets designed and installed. 6x6" posts with 2x6" top/bottom/middle stringers with fence boards only on my side. Hmm ugly on his side, but ok. Township comes out to inspect. FAILS! The middle 2x6" makes it too easy to climb over for the pool. So he has to now put fence boards on his side with no more than a 1" gap between the boards. I offered to pay half and he accepts this time. Now the fence is great, but it's only 5'.

The best part now is he built the fence 1' into his yard compared to the property line as he wanted to own the fence. Extra 1' over 90' for me. Best part now is he has installed a hot tub. Glad the 5' fence is what he went with as his 22yr old daughter and her friends are always out there.

Riddler

Let's say the tree died and someone had to be paid had to remove it.
I bet he would not say it was his tree then.

( I just happen to be listening to this)

build that wall, build that wall, build that wall...Oh wait this is not that..lol.... It is always easier to work it out..If you have to spend the money on a survey do so for you and him...

Get the survey done then take the entire tree down. Lol

shouldnt be too hard to convince some neighbourhood kids to burn the whole thing down, just buy them some roman candles and point them in the right direction

-
Back