Have my cake and eat it too..

-

JoeSBP

RLTW!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Currently in my Valiant is a built up 904. it has a manual valve body in it and the 1-2 shift is teeth rattling while sanely driving it, but feels perfectly smooth and appropriate at WFO. The 2-3 shift is pretty stout as well, but I can atleast smooth that out by slightly lifting.
What I'm wondering, is there a modern transmission that can be moved back and forth with a button from getting groceries setting, to losing my license setting? Ofcourse the extra gears are welcomed, but I wouldn't go through all the hassle and money of a modern upgrade for just that, it has to be a major improvement.

Stock stall converter by chance? I've had the same issues but once I put a good 3k convertor in them it made a big difference for light throttle shifts.

You want a built in cellphone with the controls on the steering wheel too?
I hear they have cars like that. :D

Seriously though, a good trans guy could do that with the 904 by simply how it is built.
I don't have a 904 but the same basic design with OD, and at light throttle you can hardly feel the shifts at all but they get much more defined with more throttle.
I mean bark tires on shifts just using more throttle opening, but soft as can be under light throttle.
It's a Transgo Stage 2 kit in a 42RH (A500).

Maybe my initial post was misleading. This trans is 110% doing what it was built to do. At WFO it's perfect. But anytime I hear Street/Strip, I know it's make the car go fast, but usually compromise and be miserable on the street. I'm just wondering if any of the newer electronic transmissions can be switched on the fly or prior to driving from one preset to another. In my super duty I had an SCT tuner that could swap out tunes. It controlled the engine, but also changed shift points, line pressure, overlap, etc to stay appropriate to the bump in power. I want that in my little Valiant!!
A cell phone steering wheel would be nice too

-
Back