Have you ever heard of a Jet Fluxer?

-

Bill Crowell

Reaction score
I just thought I'd run this past you guys, since not too many people have ever heard of this.

Back in the early '70s I got heavily into bicycling, and later I took a class on how to build bicycle frames. You need to avoid burning such thin tubes when brazing them, but at the same time you need good penetration for strength. The class instructor suggested we buy a Jet Fluxer, which is a tank full of special liquid flux that has an affinity for acetylene and is placed in the acetylene line. I still have one, and I like the way it works. You get very good, quick brass flow at a lower temperature. It can also be used for high-temp silver soldering. I can post a picture of the Jet Fluxer if anybody is interested. I don't know if they still make them. That liquid flux is some pretty caustic stuff.

Please do post some pics, always needing a something new to work with!

Do you still build steel bike frames? Carbon fiber sure is nice but there is something oh so cool about a well built steel frame. Especially those with the fancy lugwork.

I just thought I'd run this past you guys, since not too many people have ever heard of this.

Back in the early '70s I got heavily into bicycling, and later I took a class on how to build bicycle frames. You need to avoid burning such thin tubes when brazing them, but at the same time you need good penetration for strength. The class instructor suggested we buy a Jet Fluxer, which is a tank full of special liquid flux that has an affinity for acetylene and is placed in the acetylene line. I still have one, and I like the way it works. You get very good, quick brass flow at a lower temperature. It can also be used for high-temp silver soldering. I can post a picture of the Jet Fluxer if anybody is interested. I don't know if they still make them. That liquid flux is some pretty caustic stuff.

Interesting. This seems like it would get plumbed in after the mixing valves on the torch handle? I'd like to see a pic if you don't mind.

Columbus SL , Reynolds 531... Still have the bike that was custom built for me in 1979 by Todd Hendries @ Areawide Cyclery in Excelsior MN.
2000 for a bike in 1979 was a LOT of dough!

Yeh.........REALLY need photos!!

There seems to be a current product.......

Gasfluxer® Brazing Equipment On Gasflux Co.

a1013.jpg

More:

Gasflux Process - Elyria, Ohio - The Gasflux Company

http://www.gasflux.com/pdf/gasflux-process.pdf

process-diagram-large.jpg

jetflux.jpg

Last edited:
In the back of my mind, I hear "You'll Blow yourself up kid..."

That's pretty neat. I assumed it was an added gas and figured it would need to be after the mixers to avoid over pressurizing the acetylene. Seems like a pretty simple idea. Thanks!

I was expecting this thread to be about "Back To The Future". lol

-
Back