Have you ever noticed.....

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
...That way too many people talk about themselves and are rarely interested in anything else?
I have made it a point to watch and observe the behavior of people in a number of settings and this habit seems to cross race, gender, education and salary lines.
At car shows, it often feels that if I don't cut in to get a word in edgewise, my entire involvement in this hobby would be in the background. Guys often say something like...Is this your car? (Yes) Oh, I have a blah blah blah...blah blah blah blah.....(This goes on for 6 minutes non stop. I wonder how the guy breathes since the talking is one long monologue of what HE owns and is doing with it)
Often times, I hear people answer a phone call with "How are you?", then they immediately start blabbing about their situation without even a slight pause.
Why ask "How are you?" if you are not willing to listen?
On TV, when someone wants to tell someone something, sometimes they say..."Listen..."
Who does this in real life? I have never had anyone but a Boss say this.
Just a few things that I have noticed. Some people are either rude, clueless or just ignorant of decent behavior.

Dale Carnegie, in his book, "How to Win Friends and Influence People", goes into great detail about how you get people to like and respect you if you just allow them to talk about themselves.

If you haven't read it, its great...and it was written in 1936!!!

Dale Carnegie, in his book, "How to Win Friends and Influence People", goes into great detail about how you get people to like and respect you if you just allow them to talk about themselves.

If you haven't read it, its great...and it was written in 1936!!!
As well as "Think and Grow Rich" written by Napoleon Hill written in 1937 was about him wanting to work with Dale Carnegie and not for him. About halfway to three quarters through the book the "Gimmick" on how to get rich, hits you right between the eyes. I put the book down and never finished it.

I agree completely. I think a lot of folks have that mentality and this website is a prime example, albeit those types of folks tend to be the more outspoken ones, so it may only appear that way. Just sit back and read the responses to some of the posts in the general section.

Funny that you mention Dale Carnegie. I was going to reference the man in a quote I heard about him.
"People who are considered interesting are those that are interested in others".

...That way too many people talk about themselves and are rarely interested in anything else?
I have made it a point to watch and observe the behavior of people in a number of settings and this habit seems to cross race, gender, education and salary lines.
At car shows, it often feels that if I don't cut in to get a word in edgewise, my entire involvement in this hobby would be in the background. Guys often say something like...Is this your car? (Yes) Oh, I have a blah blah blah...blah blah blah blah.....(This goes on for 6 minutes non stop. I wonder how the guy breathes since the talking is one long monologue of what HE owns and is doing with it)
Often times, I hear people answer a phone call with "How are you?", then they immediately start blabbing about their situation without even a slight pause.
On TV, when someone wants to tell someone something, sometimes they say..."Listen..."
Just a few things that I have noticed. Some people are either rude, clueless or just ignorant of decent behavior.
I'm sorry, what were you saying? lol

It's human nature. Everyone is just looking for an audience to listen to what they have to say...just like this thread.

:D

Maybe it is human nature but we have the ability to improve ourselves, right? We hold in *** gas around the women. I don't belch out loud or cuss around women or old people.
It is called Good Manners.
Usually I start threads to share something funny or what I consider interesting. I like seeing what others have to express, sometimes I see that my opinion is against the tide and I learn something.

I read "Think and Grow Rick" years ago and never did learn the "secret", lol.

As well as "Think and Grow Rich" written by Napoleon Hill written in 1937 was about him wanting to work with Dale Carnegie and not for him. About halfway to three quarters through the book the "Gimmick" on how to get rich, hits you right between the eyes. I put the book down and never finished it.

Kern Dog, I met you at a Mopar event at Sacramento Raceway last year. You came up and asked me about my Dart. I think the biggest compliment you can give someone is to listen to what someone has to say about their passion. When I did residential service work, the conversations usually were about people talking about themselves. But that's OK - you learn a lot about other people if you just listen. Nice Charger BTW...

Kern Dog, I met you at a Mopar event at Sacramento Raceway last year. You came up and asked me about my Dart. I think the biggest compliment you can give someone is to listen to what someone has to say about their passion. When I did residential service work, the conversations usually were about people talking about themselves. But that's OK - you learn a lot about other people if you just listen. Nice Charger BTW...

Thanks for the kind words. My memory is a bit fuzzy but I think I missed the show there last year because they held it in June or July instead of the more common September date.
Anyhow...I like seeing peoples eyes light up talking about their cars. Sometimes they end up stopping themselves out of good human nature and ask questions themselves. To me, this is how it should be.
This picture was taken by FBBO member DennisH at this years event at the raceway.

My car.JPG

I believe there are more than one reason for such, some want to impress, some want to brag in a manner to belittle, some simply want to share & don't realize they're
doing it, & some may be trying to open up to someone they feel is closed to get them to share......kinda like a dog rolling over near another it wants to play with!

You got that right.
Sometimes I feel like smacking a phone right out of a persons hand.:D
That and people that won't let someone finish a sentence without interrupting and talking over them.
My neighbor is horrible about that, so I just quit talking.
My Dad always used to say "You can't learn a damn thing as long as your mouth is running".

Now either I am agreeing with you, or talking about what I don't like. :D

We had a principle of our school which was pretty religious, and he had to take over the gym class one rainy day. One of the exercises that he had us do was to talk to converse with each other for 15-20 minutes and not us the word 'I'. It was harder than you think but as kids we had a lot of fun. It made an unforgettable impression; to this day, many of my online posts (and business emails, etc.) get edited to remove the word 'I' in as many places as possible. (Even this one got edited LOL)

I was thinking about it the other day, i catch myself doing it sometimes. Only to car enthusiasts my age.

Maybe excitement that some people in their 30s enjoy this hobby too and i actually have someone to talk to as somedays in my age group it feels like there is few and far...

... to this day, many of my online posts (and business emails, etc.) get edited to remove the word 'I' in as many places as possible. (Even this one got edited LOL)

I've found also I usually start posts with 'I' when sharing an experience.
It usually occurs to me so , or 'this person' goes back and edits the post to make it 'appear' less about I :)

Most of the times sentences can easily be changed;
My experience has been that most of my posts start with 'I'.

"Me" does that too much too. Me always has something to say whether anybody listens or not. :poke::poke:

Something I always wanted to ask you @Kern Dog , (and may be I have) Is your last name Kern and if so do you have relatives around Modesto?

I've found also I usually start posts with 'I' when sharing an experience.
It usually occurs to me so , or 'this person' goes back and edits the post to make it 'appear' less about I :)

Most of the times sentences can easily be changed;
My experience has been that most of my posts start with 'I'.

als je nou gewoon in je moerstaal typt komt dat hele "I" der niet in voor
:poke:

Curiosity and interest help. For me it is finding the right question to ask and stand back and let the good times roll.
People love to answer questions and how they answer them gives a person insight----------------
(you are not ready grasshopper)-----------------------:)

It always seems that car guys are a pretty competitive bunch in general, so this may just reflect that characteristic.

-
Back