have you ever seen this kind of drum

-

mopar family

Reaction score
hello , it's the first time that i see that kind of drum it was on a 70 dart french import , have you an idea of why this type ? thank you

tambour.JPG

That was the OEM style for the A-body Mopar rear brakes on the 8-3/4 axles. Don't know why they made them look like Darth Vader though.....

Last edited:
I would guess cooling. I would think that originally that had a spring would around the outside to supress noise and ringing

I would guess cooling. I would think that originally that had a spring would around the outside to supress noise and ringing
no spring on them I ever saw.
from what I read it was to shed snow or something like that.

It's a cooling vane. Only came on the 8.75 rear axles, which were all V8 cars. I used to have a pair, but they wore down too far -- couldn't be resurfaced. I suppose someone doing an OEM Resto would be interested, since they were never repopped.

On the other hand, extra unsprung weight.

My '71 EL5 GT had them on the original SBP 8 3/4. I've seen them called "bell" drums before. I've heard they were more common on export cars, but that's just something I heard, I don't have any evidence. My EL5 Gt that had them was a Windsor car built for US export. My LA built GK6 Gt came to me without it's original 8 3/4, so I have no idea if it had them too or not.

They're commonly referred as "Canadian" drums by the old timers, and was intended to shed snow away from the drum! Like Tabasco sauce tho, they started putting that **** on everything!! I have a few good sets here, and run them on all my small bolt cars!

They're commonly referred as "Canadian" drums by the old timers, and was intended to shed snow away from the drum! Like Tabasco sauce tho, they started putting that **** on everything!! I have a few good sets here, and run them on all my small bolt cars!

That must be it! :thumbsup:

I think the springs were used on front drums only. I dont recall ever seeing them on rears before.
I had a set of those "Bell" drums on my 72 dart 8 3/4. I think I still have them, one has a flat spot from when I lost a wheel going around a turn and dragged the drum :)

It's a cooling vane. Only came on the 8.75 rear axles, which were all V8 cars. I used to have a pair, but they wore down too far -- couldn't be resurfaced. I suppose someone doing an OEM Resto would be interested, since they were never repopped.

On the other hand, extra unsprung weight.

No, the same drum was on 7.25 rears also. Had more than one with them.
Also the 8.75 was available with any engine.

Have a couple pairs, as stated, I believe only in the SPB era, don't recall seeing them in LBP on A bodies................................

They never made the darth vader drums in large bolt pattern.
(Dark Helmet if your a spaceballs fan:D)
You could find them on 7.25 rears up to the 1976 model year.

thank you , now i know , the rear axle is a 7,25 ,70 dart so not rare !!

Not rare in the 1970s! They wear out and nobody makes new ones, so there is real demand for them now if they can be turned within specs.

-
Back