Having an odd issue with my 73 Duster

-
Reaction score
This last weekend I noticed my carter 2 bbl carb was leaking fuel through the gaskets and I had a spare rebuild kit when I worked on the original. Anyways so I took it out and cleaned it make sure everything was good, floats, needle and everything was good so I dropped it back it plugged everything back in and now she won't idle at low rpms. she will run perfect when its in the high rpm mode, when first starting but as soon as I press the gas to get it off, immediately dies. I took the carb off 3 more times and double checked everything and I can't figure out what is going on. Any help would be great.

By the way she's a 318 and basically stock

Hard to say. Look at the plugs. Any reason to believe the timing is off? If not, or check it, "it's likely the carb." First figure if it's lean or rich. If lean = vacuum leak or adjustment. Have you played with the idle mixture screws? What did they do?

If rich--obviously fuel leaking by, float level too high, dirt in the needle / seat, hard to say what else

Idle enrichment screws. Turn in softly till they bottom out, then back out 1 1/2 turns for starters.

Bring the engine up to temp then final adjust the enrichment screws.

Can also take out idle enrichment screws then spray carb cleaner In the holes. Blow out with compressed air and reinstall and adjust the 2 idle circuit screws.

Hard to say. Look at the plugs. Any reason to believe the timing is off? If not, or check it, "it's likely the carb." First figure if it's lean or rich. If lean = vacuum leak or adjustment. Have you played with the idle mixture screws? What did they do?

If rich--obviously fuel leaking by, float level too high, dirt in the needle / seat, hard to say what else
Timing I'm pretty sure is good but I can double check and I don't think its a firing issue with the plugs when it is running it doesn't act like they aren't firing properly. I have messed with the mixture screws but when turning them it doesn't seem to change anything

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Spray some WD40 around all the gaskets while the engine is running to see where the leak might be. Could be an internal leak too since you had the carb apart. Maybe used the wrong internal parts? Your initial fuel leak problem sounds like a float level or flooding issue.

Timing I'm pretty sure is good but I can double check and I don't think its a firing issue with the plugs when it is running it doesn't act like they aren't firing properly. I have messed with the mixture screws but when turning them it doesn't seem to change anything
Usually if an idle circuit is plugged, it will not be both. As someone else mentioned, this is likely a vacuum leak. The reason I wanted you to look at plugs is to see if they are "gas black" or "white lean"

Sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Spray some WD40 around all the gaskets while the engine is running to see where the leak might be. Could be an internal leak too since you had the carb apart. Maybe used the wrong internal parts? Your initial fuel leak problem sounds like a float level or flooding issue.
all internal parts are correct I make sure of that, and when I cleaned it I checked that and it was a bit high so I fixed it when I had it apart, but I'll do that and see if I do

Usually if an idle circuit is plugged, it will not be both. As someone else mentioned, this is likely a vacuum leak. The reason I wanted you to look at plugs is to see if they are "gas black" or "white lean"
I see okay, yeah I can pop those quickly and check I need to anyways because its been a minute since I put the new ones in

If it was initially running rich, and now running lean, the plugs might not reflect the current situation if the engine hasn't been run much since the carb overhaul.

Yeah true and I think I've concluded it isn't the carb I think I've got a short somewhere. When I tried starting it my starter didn't want to turn the first time then after I backed off I tried starting it again it turned but my voltage gauge dropped dramatically.

if it is did you set the choke flap again... i presume you had to undo it to take the carb off. it should hang a "bus ticket" thickenss open when stone cold
and open fully when hot

if the choke is wrong on a BBD it will not work properly

more BBD stuff than the average chap ever needs can be found here...
Carter BBD Archives - Mikes Carburetor Parts

-
Back