Hayden Fan Controller Wiring Question for 67 Dart 318

-

RatRod

Reaction score
The Electric fan works great but is wired to stay on when the car is shut off. I want to change that so the fan shuts off when I turn the ignition off.

I need to wire the fan controller to a 12v wire that's tied to the ignition and want to know the best/easiest way to accomplish this. I prefer not to run wire under the dash unless I have to.

Can I run the wire to the positive side of the Coil? Something else ?

Can I run the wire to the positive side of the Coil? Something else
No but you could run it to the ignition key side of the ballast resister.

ASSUMING all the current you are pulling is to cause a relay to trigger. IE low current draw

Last edited:
They are wired (programmed?) like that on purpose. The engine heats up for about the first ten or fifteen minutes after it is cut off. That said, have at it. I wouldn't run it off the coil, no.

They are wired (programmed?) like that on purpose. The engine heats up for about the first ten or fifteen minutes after it is cut off
RRR I agree with you about them being wired that way, even oems do it but I never figured out why. I get the heat soak, but all that is cooled is the rad core. If there was a water pump to circulate during the same time it would make sense.

Maybe it's to blow air over the engine compartment????

RRR I agree with you about them being wired that way, even oems do it but I never figured out why. I get the heat soak, but all that is cooled is the rad core. If there was a water pump to circulate during the same time it would make sense.

Maybe it's to blow air over the engine compartment????
You're trying to put it in separate little boxes. It's for all of it. To help get the extra heat out of everything after the engine is cut off. That said, vehicles with a solid fan don't turn the fan after shutoff, so it won't hurt anything I guess.

No but you could run it to the ignition key side of the ballast resister.

ASSUMING all the current you are pulling is to cause a relay to trigger. IE low current draw

Is this the ballast resistor you talking about?

PXL_20220919_190324045.jpg

You're trying to put it in separate little boxes. It's for all of it. To help get the extra heat out of everything after the engine is cut off. That said, vehicles with a solid fan don't turn the fan after shutoff, so it won't hurt anything I guess.

What I have found is that running the fan after your engine is shut off will run down the battery if it's at all weak.

THE FIRST THING WE NEED is a link to the Hayden destructions so we can see how it's wired. If you tie it to the "ignition run" wire you need to be BEFORE (on the "key side") of the ballast resistor AND AND AND!!!!! AND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you need to be ONLY triggering a CONTROL (low current/ trigger) circuit and not the main feed.

How large are the thermostat sensor wires?

Here are the destructions, and the temp wire is a light gauge 18 or so.

Attachments

• Hayden p-475-3647-fan-controllers (1).pdf
    674.9 KB · Views: 40
So the question is where do I run the yellow too exactly?
That depends on you. WHAT do you want the fan to do? The yellow wire is power when the key in in run, so, if all you want is the fan to come on when the key is in run, then wire it to the fan. Although, if it was ME, I'd run it through a relay FIRST and then let the relay run the fan load. This will keep possible fan motor feedback from keeping the ignition live after the key is cut off.

Okay, I ran the yellow wire from the fan controller to the ignition ballast, started the dart and the fan came on when it should and shut off when i turned off the engine. Thank you all for your help!

Okay, I ran the yellow wire from the fan controller to the ignition ballast, started the dart and the fan came on when it should and shut off when i turned off the engine. Thank you all for your help!
OK but how do you know you have the correct terminal on the ballast?

-
Back