HDK Tubular Coil Over for Stock Steering

-

Old Man Mopar

Righteous Dude
Reaction score
New HDK kit to replace torsion bars and convert to coil over front suspension
while retaining stock K-member, steering box and steering linkage.

Coil%20Over%20Only%20Pkg_zpshwolby7a.jpg

Damn, wish I was further along with my build so I could be a test mule...

This looks faster and lighter to me Old Man Mopar.. But with out seeing a blue print of it under a .....well lest say a 66 Barracuda K frame/member it's hard for me to say.

This looks faster and lighter to me Old Man Mopar.. But with out seeing a blue print of
it under a .....well lest say a 66 Barracuda K frame/member it's hard for me to say.
You'll have to contact Denny or wait until he chimes in on here to get more information.
I'm just his brother, truck driver, picture poster and general lackey.

Weird how i knew you would be using that pivot shaft, almost like i did all the work and came up with these on my own...... Oh yeah, I did! I never would have thought hdk would steal another guys idea, pretty much to the t and then put them out for sale. I'm speechless, I had a lot of respect for Denny up until now. I'll be sure to tell everyone not to buy your products from here on out.

So, I take it these are the copy-cat LCAs?

Maybe you should take into consideration I designed my first set of 1 1/4" / 1-1/2" od round chromoly tubular lower control arms almost 20 years ago.....I still have the proto-types, in fact, I cut one of them in two and added a sleeve, to make it adjustable to experiment with different track widths. The final product, which does feature 1-1/2" OD poly bushings is still in Hemi Marks Hemi Duster we built around 1995.

I have since (1997) relied (for the HDK) on a street rod style A arm in lieu of the single arm w/strut like the factory.... Bobs Pro Fab ....or JR's design. I will say I have never been accused of copying the street rod style A arm ......but as lot of us hot rodders have.

I like the direction JR is / was going....although my latest single arm / strut design incorporates

a) an adjustable bump stop

b) fully machined solid 1-1/4" ball joint mount (copied from QA1). This is not a solid rod end screwed in to a tubing adapter and welded solid. I have those aging in the parts bin too.

c) I use the factory strut rod. I like the way the movement is at the front of the K, where it was designed to be and NOT at the control arm attaching point.

d) I incorporated a 100% bolt on rear support for the back of the LCA that I have been working on since last year. It installs similar to the upper shock mount support hoops I offer.

I have always been about building a better mousetrap.....maybe even cheaper (I have priced Bob's).

NO apologies for that.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=299243
Kind of a dick move to copy this guys hard work .

Although his fabrication skills are excellent....they've been out for DECADES......He certainly isn't the first one to build a single round tube lower control arm.

I got my inspiration from UB Machine....20 years ago (I'm still a customer)
http://ubmachine.com/lowerround.html

Do a little research.....check out Bob's Pro Fab, been building and selling them for years. .....someone even pointed that out to JR in one of the early posts in his thread.

Weird how i knew you would be using that pivot shaft, almost like i did all the work and
came up with these on my own...... Oh yeah, I did! I never would have thought hdk would
steal another guys idea.......
Say! That really is weird since it looks like HDK has had them in operation since 1995.

Maybe you ought to check the facts before accusing somebody of stealing something they
built almost 20 years ago.

It also looks like the HDK version features 4-5 significant features that yours does not so
how can you you make such a reckless assertion?

So you hung out in my thread, asked questions, critiqued what i was doing but never once mentioned that you were even interested in or were building something similar? It's all just a huge quincedence that you decided to make these now? You never once said, hey I'm working on something similar, seems legit to me.....

Gee. All of that made me want to find your thread and start reading about your stuff. Didn't get too far though and found this. Sure sounds like that he was out to ruin you!

"junior636

I am in NW Ohio.....You are welcome to come to my little shop and look....touch....talk K frames and component's. I am ALWAYS happy to share ....I just don't want to type a manual.

You do not need to buy anything.

If you want to build your own...A-OK with me.

The invite goes for any other FABO member.

Denny"

Wow... I read a lot here and barely ever post but this is crazy. I have been talking to denny for quite a while before you even started your thread about your build. He has been in the working on this a long time. For you to even bash on him is a shame, he as given so much good info and advice it's incredible. Do you have a patent for this? Doubt it, plus his design is different than yours if you know how patents work. If money is what your seeking then go spill a cup of hot coffee on your lap and sue Mcdonald for a ton of money. He has done nothing wrong, period.

I've been talking to Denny for the past year about these, he mentioned them in another members thread that he was working on a set to sell. I also agree that yours looks like Bobs and it was mentioned in your thread. The last part is does it really matter if he has a product that looks like yours? Many companies make an IFS for our cars Denny to be included in that list, I don't see you upset about that. Seems kind of a silly thing to be upset about?

I sent him a message about them back in Oct of 2014, seeing as how your thread started in Dec I doubt he stole anything from you

JR,

I commented that I was a fan of your fab skills.....no mention of your design skills. To be blunt.....I do not see what is unique about the LCA you are building.....no more than Bob's Pro Fab or numerous others that use a single round tube LCA.

And WHERE did you ever mention CNC shafts? (you picture yours, then comment they are made on a lathe)

I admit, other than complimenting your welding expertise, I did try to point out the correct function of the factory strut arm.

You (and a few others) obviously have not ever looked over an issue of Street Rodder....or any chassis mfg (Chris Alston, Art Morrison, etc) catalogs in the past 25 years ....single round tube LCA's are NOT new.

I put this new PACKAGE together at a request from FABO builders. Several have purchased the HDK upper mount and support tubes, but had no way to hold the rear of the lower control arm. I had been working on this particular bracket for some time, unannounced except to a few because I am anal about getting it right. To complete the PACKAGE, and unable to utilize the stock LCA (because of position of shock mount), I had to build my own.....to MY specs.

I talk to other builders all of the time.....swap ideas and suggestions on how to improve things. However, I stop giving advise if they want to become a competitor......but to the hot rod builder, I am a open book. (ask 71 street, anything LOOK familiar???).

regardless, I applaud your skills and wish you the best.

-
Back