Head and steering column don't get along...

-

dusterdoug

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy,

As we have heard from others before me, my G3 head contacts the sleeve on the steering column. Has anyone successfully notched this area and RETAINED the column shift?

Or has anyone lopped off the offending portion of the head??

Discuss...

Hemi head interfere.jpg

Hemi head.jpg

At the risk of sounding like "one of those guys...", why would you want column shift with that motor? I've "read" they are notorious for miss shifts etc.

(looks like a 5.7 hemi?)

Just curious.

-C

What about shimming the mounts to lift the motor up a bit?

20181129_165747.jpg
This on a 73 Scamp. I trimmed the outer tube back to the firewall. Cut slots in the tube for the bearing retainer clip. Still utilizing column shift. This is with 10-11 Jeep manifolds.

The issue with loping off that portion is the valve cover base also goes over that far so it would also be an issue. Following 408 swingers example should get you the clearance you need

At the risk of sounding like "one of those guys...", why would you want column shift with that motor? I've "read" they are notorious for miss shifts etc.

(looks like a 5.7 hemi?)

Just curious.

-C

If all bushings are fresh and the linkage is all righty-tighty if works well. Why? I'm wanting a mild 12-second street car look...semi sleeper.

(Yes, a Gen 3 hemi)

If all bushings are fresh and the linkage is all righty-tighty if works well. Why? I'm wanting a mild 12-second street car look...semi sleeper.

(Yes, a Gen 3 hemi)

No practical experience with a system that's working well but there is a lot of slop compared to a direct shifter. Not making any judgements, just not something I'd do. Personal preference.

It will work. Just do it. F@\k the naysayers. That's why I did it. Wanted the sleeper look.

I elongated the holes on the steering column mount on the firewall, it moved it over about 3/8 or so, you could prolly get a 1/2 or so if you wanted too. Everything still lined up preaty good for me.

I elongated the holes on the steering column mount on the firewall, it moved it over about 3/8 or so, you could prolly get a 1/2 or so if you wanted too. Everything still lined up preaty good for me.

I did the same thing but only took about 3/16' for me , but I`m not talking hemi tho--------

that is an interesting heim joint and brace you have there.

:)

-
Back