Head Bolts too tight?

-

seabee

Reaction score
If I ask anymore questions today I might have to start paying out royalties........:prayer:

This "Small Block Mopar" book I have been using said 105lbs for the head bolts. I tightened everything down in the right sequence going 10lbs at a time until I reached 105lbs.

While looking through my shop CD today I saw 95lbs as the recommended torque. I know it's only 10lbs but before I finish assembly I want to eliminate any doubt.

leave it? Replace it? New bolts? Quit crying?

My MP "Small Block, A Engines" books says

"reprinted from 68......."

273, 318, 340, 85 ft lbs

"reprinted from 74......"

318, 360 95 ft lbs

and the online 72 shop manual says 95

Since you've already went to 105 dont back up and re torque. With the poor quality of torque wrenches sold today, No worries.

crying_man.jpg

Yep my book says 85 lb for 273's. Just torqued mine down today. I hope that you chased the treads? I would run it if I were you.

how to hotrod a s b m states 105 and i always do. head bolt on the s b m suck. i put studs in everything s b m now. they can't take very much over 10.75

My 79 engine book said 105.

I just built an engine and torqued to 105, I won't be losing any sleep over it.

It would be interesting to know why the specs changed. I would imagine gasket technology has changed a lot since 1968. even from 1968-1979 that's a lot of time. Think about what has changed since 1991-2012? I guess that's comparing apples to oranges but you get the point. Some of you old farts might even remember 68-79.:D

It'll be okay if you replace the gas tank and rotate the tires. As far as tire rotation, just jack the car up and spin the tires by hand and set the car back down, you needn't change their location on the car.

Ahem, If the block was honed with a deck plate, and you didn't torque the bolts to the setting used during the honing process and you didn't use the same part head gasket used during the honing, you will have effected the ring sealing somewhat.

I admire your tenacity, ten pound increments to 105 ft-lbs? You one tough hombre!

Oh! Seabee! That's why.

Not to hijack, but how many lbs does it say for a 79 318 exhaust manifold bolt?

It'll be okay if you replace the gas tank and rotate the tires. As far as tire rotation, just jack the car up and spin the tires by hand and set the car back down, you needn't change their location on the car.

Ahem, If the block was honed with a deck plate, and you didn't torque the bolts to the setting used during the honing process and you didn't use the same part head gasket used during the honing, you will have effected the ring sealing somewhat.

I admire your tenacity, ten pound increments to 105 ft-lbs? You one tough hombre!

Oh! Seabee! That's why.

x2
And thanks for you service! Have a great Memorial Day.

Since you've already went to 105 dont back up and re torque. With the poor quality of torque wrenches sold today, No worries.

It's handy to have a torque wrench calibrator.Most viable machine shops will have this tool and wont even charge a fee (if you don't own one and are friendly with your machinests)

If I wear gloves while rotating the tires will it still be "by hand"?

Oh! Seabee! That's why.

Wrong! Tires rotate while you drive. No need to jack it up. Spot on on the gas tank. I never thought of that.

My Mopar bible says 85 ft-lbs (273-318) 95 ft-lbs (340-360)

That said, run it as it is. You can't loosen and retorque because the gasket is compressed. If you do, you need to change the gasket as well. You will be fine. Don't lose any sleep over this.

View attachment bible.jpg

it'll be okay if you replace the gas tank and rotate the tires. As far as tire rotation, just jack the car up and spin the tires by hand and set the car back down, you needn't change their location on the car.

Ahem, if the block was honed with a deck plate, and you didn't torque the bolts to the setting used during the honing process and you didn't use the same part head gasket used during the honing, you will have effected the ring sealing somewhat.

Oh! Seabee! That's why.

lol

-
Back