Head Gasket/Header Bolt mystery?

-

seabee

Reaction score
Hi Gang. I am once again calling on your elite knowledge and experience to help solve this mystery of mine. I'm getting some radiator fluid leaking out of both sides of my engine. Trying to locate it's exact point of exit has been a challenge but seems to be coming from the middle head gasket area or right below the manifolds. So after hours of research I'm torn between it being a head gasket or header bolt not being sealed properly. Any insight to this mystery would be greatly appreciated.

273 with manifolds
No water in Oil
Some water out of tailpipe when first started
No noticeable steam out of tailpipe
No bubbles in radiator
oil pressure normal
temp gauge runs hot, but consistent (might just be the gauge)

I think it's the end bolts that need to be sealed for the exhaust manifolds.
No?

Could it be it is leaking from the end bolts and dripping from the lowest point?
That car ROCKS by the way. Love it.

Thanks man! Yeah I'm thinking the same thing. I'm going to take out the fan and run it a few minutes after cleaning the area. The wind from the fan might be spreading the leak down the seam.

Love the car...
Get a pressure testor and pump up the system cold. You should be able to see where it's coming out that way.

Did you check out the freeze plugs and coolant drain plugs in the side of the block? :dontknow:

More likely frost plug. Best to get the pressure tester though. There is caps below the head 2 nor 3 across the block the can rust through.

-
Back