Head gaskets

-

Coyote Jack

Member #55, I'm old
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have been looking around for some head gaskets. What I need are 4.07 bore and a compressed thickness of .060. Where do you guys find them for a decent price? And do I need anything special with 8 lbs of boost from a 6-71?

Jack

the good felpros should work fine but are at .039". you can get the cometics is most any thickness you want and are a much better gasket. going with them now would be good if you decide later on to turn up the boost more.

X2 on the Cometics as long as the deck and head surfaces were finished for use with the Cometics. ARP studs or ARP bolts too.

X2 on the Cometics as long as the deck and head surfaces were finished for use with the Cometics. ARP studs or ARP bolts too.

It's going to be ARP studs and bolts all around this engine.

I didn't know you had to have the heads and deck done differently if you were using Cometics.

Jack

cometics and copper coat spray.... i use that combo on all the boosted engines i build.

Mr. Gasket tri metal don't seep water like cometics. All cometics I used seeped at the center rivets. They should be taken apart and copper coated between all layers.. The Mr. gaskets seal as recieved no problem. Felpro went from round to football shaped with 20 psi one throttle burst. Check out the driven pullies 50% over driven

Attachments

• steve111 028.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 251
  • aomni52[1].jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 262
I have never had any problems with Cometic Gaskets sealing even with a standard finish on the block and heads. On my TT Engine I copper coated them and they never leaked a drop on the dyno. I used ARP Studs with lube and torqued the heads to 105lbs FWIW.

http://4secondsflat.com/Cometic-MLS_Gaskets.html

has a good price on the gaskets. You can get any bore size and thickness you need.

MLS gaskets are supposed to have a very smooth head/deck finish as they are designed to slide on a iron/AL head combo. Iron/iron dont slide at all compared to bimetal combos so official MLS finish RA numbers are probably not important.Just technically speaking, no real world comparison by myself, nothing bi-metal except the Breeze and that already blew its original MLS gasket...:-(

I have never had any problems with Cometic Gaskets sealing even with a standard finish on the block and heads. On my TT Engine I copper coated them and they never leaked a drop on the dyno. I used ARP Studs with lube and torqued the heads to 105lbs FWIW.

http://4secondsflat.com/Cometic-MLS_Gaskets.html

has a good price on the gaskets. You can get any bore size and thickness you need.

I did have a look at FBO's prices. They are the best I have seen.

Jack

-
Back