head lights

-
voltage regulator or not enough altenator

Actually, probably not

Are they flashing on/off like a turn signal? Or just getting bright, with engine RPM, and low, at idle?

It is important to understand that the headlight switch receives UNfused power from the ammeter circuit. The headlight switch has a CIRCUIT BREAKER built into the switch

So if the lights are flashing on/ off it could be:

A bad breaker, IE bad switch

Bad contacts in the switch causing heating, causing the breaker to trip

Bad connections in the switch harness connector, causing heating

A short somewhere in the headlight circuit

Too heavy headlights, IE big wattage aftermarket lamps

etc........ etc.......

It may be possible that OVER voltage because of a problem in the charging system is causing the breaker to pop because the lights will be drawing more current.

Mine flashed when I had water leak onto my foot dimmer switch. I simply bypassed the switch by connecting the wires to solve issue temporarily

Grant

Bulkhead connector and the instrument panel voltage regulator had equal parts in doing that on mine. Once I bypassed the bulkhead connector, it was half better (and everything else was way better). The IM regulator did the rest. Mine are as solid as my Neon now.

You can upgrade the whole system using this link as a guide. Measure voltage at the battery and the headlamp connector. The voltages should be close to each other and should not fluctuate very much with engine running. What is the year make and model? Any modifications to the lighting system including but not limited to different headlamps? Big stereo causing headlamp to wink in sync with a bass hit?

http://www.allpar.com/fix/electrical/headlights/index.php

Mine did this it had the old points style regulator I changed it with the newer electronic look alike and have had no problems since.

I had this same situation occur, turned to be a defective headlight, drawing too much voltage and over heating the circuit.

I had this same situation occur, turned to be a defective headlight, drawing too much voltage and over heating the circuit.

Explain please? Are you saying you had a headlight that was a higher wattage that designed? All a headlight does is create a short to ground that glows.

Explain please? Are you saying you had a headlight that was a higher wattage that designed? All a headlight does is create a short to ground that glows.
I'm no expert on electrical isues, in fact its the automotive topic I know the least about. What I can tell you is that I replaced a burned out left side headlight with a new sealed beam unit (Sylvania Halogen) and in low beam, after a couple minutes, the lights would blink uncontrolablly, Switch to hi beam and they worked just fine. I replaced that unit with another new one and have not had a problem since. Based on that alone, I attribute the problem to a defective headlight. My assumption was that the unit was causing a draw and overheating the circuit and the lights would go out, given a few seconds to cool, the lights would then come back on. I may be way off here but like I stated above, electrical issues are not my forte. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Are they flashing after they've been turned on for a time, or are they flickering randomly or are they pulsing in time with the movement of the ammeter needle? If they're flickering, then the trouble's faulty wiring, a faulty connection, and/or faulty headlight or beam-selector switches. If they're pulsing, then the trouble's in the charging system: high resistance in the alternator field circuit, faulty voltage regulator (or the regulator's fine but it has an inadequate ground), worn or faulty alternator brush(es).

If they're actually flashing, the thermal-cutout circuit breaker built into the headlight switch is tripping because it's grown "soft" with age and/or your headlamps are drawing more current than the switch is rated for. See the Allpar link already provided or this page.

Headlight switch. Seen it a few times. If they turn on and off as if you hit the switch, and don't change in brightness, the switch will fix you up.

We need more forthcoming from Ron. Details, please.

Both headlights do, what, exactly??

Headlight switch. Seen it a few times. If they turn on and off as if you hit the switch, and don't change in brightness, the switch will fix you up.

X2. It has a breaker built in. I had the same issue. I went to a relay set up when I changed the switch. Now my lights are bright all the time and the switch only acts to energize the relay.

A headlight does not create a "short" to ground. That would imply a zero ohm path which would pull max current. A headlight (or any load for that matter) is simply a resistance path which limits the amount of current the device will pull with a given voltage.

In your case you may have a defective headlamp or more likely you have problems in your switch or wiring as others have pointed out.

Well, the OP either gottem fixed or he's lost in the dark

I would check the dimmer switch on the floor too.

-
Back