Head Oiling

-

'64 Cuda

Reaction score
I plan to build a 360 using a 1991 pre-Magnum roller cam block. This block has the oil passages drilled for the shaft mounted rocker arms on the LA cylinder heads I'm going to use. The block also has provisions for oiling through the pushrods like the Magnum engines. I'm also going to use a hydraulic roller cam & I've been told that I should disable one of the oiling systems to keep from sending too much oil to the top end. What's the best way to stop the extra oiling system? I was planning to use the LA heads & have them oiled through the block like normal. Can I stop the through-the-pushrod oiling by just using pushrods with solid ends (no oiling hole), or is there something else I should do?

I know I could probably avoid this issue by using Magnum heads, but this engine is going to have a six pack on it & I also have other LA parts I plan to use.

By all rights if you use solid pushrods that should stop the flow of oil but since small blocks are at a 59 degree angle the angle of the pushrod isn't quite straight and may not stop all the oil flow. It's probably not enough to hurt anything but if you can get lifters with no oil through hole that would be best.

If it was a flat tappet cam it would be a easy remedy. Just use AMC tappets. Having not had any experience with roller cams I don't know if roller lifters are available without the oil hole.

I'm hoping the pushrods will take care of it. When I bought the roller cam it came with a brand new set of Mopar hydraulic roller lifters.

The roller lifter either is setup for pushrod oiling, or it isnt. Watch your lift too, some solid rollers will bleed off oil pressure under lift because of design.

Rumble bangs head on puter board.....

The head gets oil through the block and feeds the rocker arms via the central fulcrm point, the bar.

On Magnum engines, this is not so. SO, to oil the rocker arms, they introduce hollow pushrods that get oil to the rockers because the lifters are designed to feed the hollow pushrods.

If the rods are not hollow, theres no oil going up there. Hence, the reduction of one oiling system on your old style head feed oil system.

Now go build that motor!!!!

I have the same thoughts on my current project. I suspected that since the factory pushrods were hollow, I would need to replace them with a hollow set. But I since I'll be need ball and cup type for the roller rockers I didn't see any that were hollow.

So the concensus is that these can be replaced with solids wihout issue?
Also what application would that come from?

Roller 360 w/ adjustable valvetrain.

The pushrods will probably have to be custom made by somebody like Crane or Smith Brothers. Doesn't cost mush more than off the shelf performance pushrods.

-
Back