Head pipe for 62 lancer?

-

turnip82

Reaction score
hey there, was hoping to hear if any of you early A-body (1962ish) are running the TTI or Accurate Exhaust head pipe?
I have a 1962 dodge lancer that originally came with a 170 slant and now has a rebuilt later 225 in it, (I was told it was from a challenger) Petronix ignition, super six intake, carter 2 bbl carb. It runs really nice and has “plenty” of power but I feel the exhaust is lacking. When I measure the head pipe (not on a bend) it only measures at 1.75” OD. This is the exhaust that was on the 170 before the engine swap.
I’m a plumber, pipe work is my bread and butter and I’d love to make my own system from the exhaust manifold on but I’m really leaning towards the simplicity of just buying something that works.
Clearance looks a little tight in there between the engine mount, starter etc. I’d love to see what you have and how close it is to things.
I’m not looking for headers, just the head pipe. Pictures would be great. I’m not finding much on the interwebs.
2CD2133A-C4A5-4FC2-8DE2-0DA0834B844C.jpeg
800DDB1C-1B8E-48A5-B779-665E0A1EE28B.jpeg
10C37FD6-CB1A-4B16-A106-AA4F0F3DE021.jpeg
84B65B1C-F8C7-4D0F-B2DB-9DAEAA7F6EFB.jpeg
C76FFF57-82DC-4894-8794-52F507450DFF.jpeg

I know these systems say 63- but I’m hoping it would work in my 62 with a later engine.

Your 62 has that inline trans filter making it a bit tight down there.
Pull the trans pan and change the filter screen to a 64 filter with 2 pick up holes one for the front pump and the other for the rear pump. Yes up until 65 you could push start a Torquflite. Now that you have the modern filter in the pan you can get rid of the inline filter and reroute the trans cooler line to get the clearance you need.

Chrysler wanted the slant 6 to have a lot of low rpm power so the header outlet was 2 1/4" the head pipe 1 3/4" all the way to the muffler and 1 1/2" out the tail pipe. This gave it a lot of back Pressure and increased the low end torque . But at the expense of high rpm passing.

My 66 has power steering and 904 auto with 2.90 rear gears . I took it to the muffler shop and had them make a 2 1/4" head pipe and exhaust system . They used a muffler that gave it just a bit of back pressure. It really woke the car up on the freeway almost like a V8 .

We did a later Duster without any back pressure and it fell on its face, so we changed the muffler to give it a bit of BP and it woke up.

Last edited:
Your 62 has that inline trans filter making it a bit tight down there. My 66 has power steering . I took it to the muffler shop and had them make a 2 1/4" head pipe and exhaust system . They used a muffler that gave it just a bit of back pressure. It really woke the car up on the freeway almost like a V8 .
We did a later Duster without any back pressure and it fell on its face, so we changed the muffler to give it a bit of BP and it woke up.

Good to know about the BP. Any idea what mufflers you used? How did they sound? I don’t want to be too loud, it’s basically silent now.

It's been about 30 years since it was done , I think it was for a Ford muffler and it's quiet.
It measures 18" long by 10" wide and 4" tall it's an oval with the inlet offset to one side and outlet in the center . I have it mounted in the stock location .

There's somebody on here has one installed. I have the TTI head pipe, but I don't have it installed, yet.

-
Back