Header Coating

-

2shelbys

Reaction score
The time has come to pull the hooker Super Comp fenderwell headers off of my '69 383 Formula S and have them re-coated. Lots of people coat headers. I can not find one place that does them in WHITE. Does anyone know who does? Mine were aluma-coated white around 15 years ago. They held up very well and I like the way they look. Other than the headers my car looks stock so chrome is out of the question. I will do satin black if I have to but I an not sure they will look good in black. Anyone have an A body with black fenderwell headers that can send me a picture of them? Any help is most appreciated.

2shelbys said:
The time has come to pull the hooker Super Comp fenderwell headers off of my '69 383 Formula S and have them re-coated. Lots of people coat headers. I can not find one place that does them in WHITE. Does anyone know who does? Mine were aluma-coated white around 15 years ago. They held up very well and I like the way they look. Other than the headers my car looks stock so chrome is out of the question. I will do satin black if I have to but I an not sure they will look good in black. Anyone have an A body with black fenderwell headers that can send me a picture of them? Any help is most appreciated.

http://www.swaintech.com/
http://www.swaintech.com/store.asp?pid=10969

White Lightning™ Exhaust Coating™

Like all of Swain Tech’s coatings,
White Lightning™ is a performance improving coating. What makes
White Lightning™ the best perfor-
mance exhaust coating?

1) White Lightning™ really is ceramic so the material is a superior insulating material.

2) White Lightning is applied much thicker than any of the cosmetic coatings. White Lightning™ is
applied about .015” thick compared
to about .002” thick for the cosmetic coatings. Because White Lightning™
is the best insulating material and it
is applied thicker than any other
coating, White Lightning™ offers performance improvements that
cannot be matched.

Many companies apply the shiny or colored paint based coatings and call them ceramic. Those thin shiny coatings are very different than Swain Tech’s White Lightning™.

Whereas it would be more accurate to call those thin shiny coatings good high temperature paints that may have a very small amount added to them, Swain really uses a ceramic coating that is applied molten where it bonds and cools directly on the substrate.

After heat has performed its function in the combustion chamber, it travels out the exhaust port and into the exhaust header or manifold. If the gases are allowed to cool they lose velocity and the scavenging effect is reduced. By insulating the exhaust system, gases inside are kept at the highest possible temperature resulting in greater exhaust gas velocity and higher efficiency.

White Lightning™ insulating headers typically reduces radiant heat by about 35-55%. This reduction in radiant temperature will decrease under hood and cockpit temperatures. Lower under hood temperatures lead to lower intake temperatures.
A 10°F reduction in intake air temperature provides a 1% increase in horsepower.
A 30°F reduction equates to a 3% horsepower increase.

Because White Lightning™ really is a ceramic, it is not possible to offer color choices like you can get with paint based coatings. However, the white textured finish of White Lightning™ makes it an ideal base for a good high temperature paint if you want to change the color of the coating. The high temperature paints bond well to the natural textured finish of White Lightning and the paint will not impact the effectiveness or durability of the White Lightning™ coating.

JET-HOT actually does not only silver but Black, Gloss Black and White

This from an ad in December Hemmings.

www.jet-hot.com 1-800-432-3379

Just thought I'd jump in here with this info, since it might help you with

your decision.

69 Cuda, 383 w/2 4bbls, Keisler 5 speed, 456 gears, for the fun of it

Swain tech has been around for a Long time,
{I think longer than Jet hot}
[I didn't know Jet-hot had white :)]

I found out about Swaintech in the mid 1980's for Snowmobile
racing, stealth performance useage.

We coated the pistons to help with detoantion issues,
when increasing the compression on Drag race snowmobile
engines, and the piston coatings from Swain Tech worked. :headbang:

In the early 1970’s ceramic engineer Dan Swain developed the first successful ceramic thermal barrier coating for internal engine use. Dan
and his ceramic engineering brothers perfected this technology in both their own NASCAR modified and with leading NASCAR Winston Cup teams. Names such as Junior Johnson, Cale Yarborough and Alan Kulwicki were all critical in the testing and development of Swain Tech’s coatings. In 1981, Swain Tech Coatings opened to provide race teams and performance enthusiast with performance improving coatings.

Swain is in my back yard, and I've not used them. (DOH!) My hooker fender wells need a coating, and I'm trying to get a group buy of Schumacher tri-ys over on BBD. I want them coated as well. Want to do a group buy of coating?

Thanks for the input everyone. I found a place in Delaware called Powderbarons that does white ceramic coating. I'll check with Swain too.

Cuda 69 said:
JET-HOT actually does not only silver but Black, Gloss Black and White

This from an ad in December Hemmings.

www.jet-hot.com 1-800-432-3379

Just thought I'd jump in here with this info, since it might help you with

your decision.

69 Cuda, 383 w/2 4bbls, Keisler 5 speed, 456 gears, for the fun of it

Man. 4.56's? Steep street gear. When I got my car back in 1982 it had the original 383, balanced and blueprinted, 11.5 to 1's, and the DC 528 lift / 284 duration mechanical cam with a holley 850 race carb on a single plane intake. It had the original 833 4-speed and a Dana 60 with 5.38's! I drove it on the street like that for 3 years (not as my main car). Now it has a 750 on an dual plane intake and 3.54's.

-
Back